Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 615 total)
  • Website redesign – Update
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mark as you have appeared is there a proper bug log or is it just this thread. What do you want in a report and can your turn the damm white shade down a bit on the web version that must have bright white shouldn’t be allowed!

dazh

Not a whine, merely seeking some acknowledgment that the feedback being provided was being picked up on and trying to do so in a light-hearted manner.

Apologies for the humour bypass. I only come in here every now and again and just see lots of people moaning. Having lots of experience of this sort of thing at work I have a huge amount of empathy for the (small number of) people behind the scenes trying to sort it. It’s bad enough trying to get a website working consistently across desktop browsers without having to consider mobile devices and tablets.

Works fine for me BTW on desktop/chrome and iphone 5s/safari. I can cope with minor quibbles about not being able to go straight to the last page etc as these are the sort of things that will probably get sorted in good time.

scotroutes

Stop whining!

Me too!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dragon
    Free Member

Also struggling with resize.

I tend to keep window small to only see post text. When doing that after the update the size jumps all over the place and adverts compresses the text area making it a horrible user experience!

Plus 1 (Preview seems a bit broken) it can’t display plus signs.

new theme (Not site) launched on 22nd December.

So it was launched in the holiday season then.

sbob
    Free Member

So the black bars have changed to white and three buttons have changed to olive green, anything else I’ve missed? 😀

bearnecessities

I’d just like the “request desktop site” to work 🙂

jekkyl

Please can the people why pay to use this website have the facility to upload pics? It would make things much easier. Perhaps even offer a ‘picture option’ where you have to pay perhaps another fiver a year or something to have that facility, you might even make a profit 💡

allthegear
    Free Member

oooh – that would be really useful! ( uploading pics )

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m running IOS 8.4.1 on a IPad Mini and viewing on Chrome. The forum needs me to double tap every time I want to select anything or send a post. Very irritating.

Jamie
    Free Member

Please can the people why pay to use this website have the facility to upload pics? It would make things much easier. Perhaps even offer a ‘picture option’ where you have to pay perhaps another fiver a year or something to have that facility, you might even make a profit

We’ve not even got proper quote functionality, and you think picture uploads are a possibility?

Gonna need a new site/forum* for that sort of whizzbangery.
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ? ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

*Coming 2014.

DezB
    Free Member

I think the “Pages: << Previous 1…” bit needs to be much bigger on the iPad 😆

STATO
    Free Member

Not sure if its been mentioned but the ‘dont-miss’ sidebar does not disappear if you re-size the window into narrow optimised view, it stays and covers half the posts. It only disappears once you have navigated to (any)other page when in the narrow view.

AlexSimon

I don’t know what everyone’s on about – I think it looks great!

DezB
    Free Member

Well, you might miss it otherwise…

andybrad

The only issue i can see really is the lack of anyone saying sorry guys our bad, we’ll sort it out. Or bear with us were working on it.

scotroutes

Stop whining

thepurist

Andybrad – first post of this thread:

However, there’s always bugs that only surface once you are live and it’s those bugs that we are now working hard to fix. The iPad display bug is top of that list and I’ll update you later when I have more to report.

So, sorry it’s a bit buggy for some of you. We are working very hard to fix the new bugs.

Happy now?

andybrad

yup, happy 🙂

acidtest
    Free Member

Looks ok on my S7 running Android. Nice and clean through a VPN with filters on.

bearnecessities

Mark

Pleeeease could you answer the question as to whether the “request desktop site” from an iPhone (5s) that does nothing other than reload the normal mobile site, is a bug, or expected functionality?

I find the forum from a laptop is quite lovely, but from my phone it’s absolute gash. Please find a way for me to get away from the mobile version 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ooh has it just changed on a tablet? I can now see OP and freshness and click to the last post. Much better 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

dear freeloader user of our website
    we are very very sorry that your experience is not as you expected
    The people , whose wages you don’t contribute to, are working very hard so that you can get for nothing what costs us money.

Please bear with us as we value your “custom”, without which this company would literally be no different.

Much love
    STW

Happy?

perchypanther
    Free Member

The people , whose wages you don’t contribute to, are working very hard so that you can get for nothing what costs us money.

Please bear with us as we value your “custom”, without which this company would literally be no different.

Much love
    STW

Happy?

If it wasn’t for us freeloaders viewing the adverts on the site, there wouldn’t be a need for any adverts, STW wouldn’t get any advertising revenue and there would be no benefit in upgrading to a premier subscription so that you can peer down your nose at the plebs.

Just sayin’ 🙂

Lots of love from a free content provider and valuable, revenue generating viewer of external advertising content.

acidtest
    Free Member

@bearnecessities

Mark

Pleeeease could you answer the question as to whether the “request desktop site” from an iPhone (5s) that does nothing other than reload the normal mobile site, is a bug, or expected functionality?

I find the forum from a laptop is quite lovely, but from my phone it’s absolute gash. Please find a way for me to get away from the mobile version

I’ll answer it, unfortunately the site is ‘responsive’ which isn’t compatible with the ‘request desktop site’ function. It basically detects the size of your screen and adapts rather than serving the full desktop site, some sites do it well others don’t.

acidtest
    Free Member

Obviously, I’m not the dev on this site but if it were down to me I’d use a theme switch which allows the user to select between the old theme and this new one.

whitestone
    Free Member

@bearnecessities – strange, I find the mobile version to be much, much better whereas the desktop is a bit garish (actually, bright would be a better word) for my liking.

Not sure if it’s on this thread or one of the others from before Xmas but Mark or one of the other STW bods posted about the site being non-responsive was affecting their Google ranking and therefore their saleabilty to advertisers.

bearnecessities

Thank both; I know now to at least stop trying 🙂

I’ve pretty much given up looking on the mobile now, which is probably a good thing.

STATO
    Free Member

Spotted another oddity. In the sidebar its News, Reviews and Blogs (as per image Alex posted above), except you dont do ‘blogs’, just ‘columns’, like STW is some sort of professional news entity 😆

andybrad

Much love
    STW

Happy?

I was up until this point a paying subscriber of several years. Due to this (and the was in which it seems to be going, and the use of words like natch in the magazine) i am no longer. So yea i wasn’t a free loader. In fact without people like myself the company would probably not exist? Are you a employee of STW to be responding on their behalf as you seem to be making out?

Shame

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You have to love the freeloader argument.

Mark is very honest. As he often notes, his business model involves selling access to forumites. So we are (in effect) a raw material that is monetised by STW. No harm in that, sensible business.

But it does falsify the “freeloader” argument. That relies on misunderstanding the business model.

alexxx
    Free Member

This is a cringe fest of a topic now from oh so many angles…

For that reason I’m out… and because my posts get deleted.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Are you a employee of STW to be responding on their behalf as you seem to be making out?

No he’s not*, he’s just pulling your leg. Perhaps too hard it would seem.

Due to this … and the use of words like natch in the magazine … i am no longer (a paying customer)

Are you for realz? Plus nach is sexy**. No, seriously, language evolves and “natch” is just a modern contraction of “naturally”, it’s not even rude like ***** or the unutterable *********-****%**

Belgium man, belgium

*And neither am I. I am employed by The Centre for the Furthering of Asterisks. I would, however, not turn down a job offer*** 😛

**And o so very desirable. In fact if I had met him only once I would want to meet him again, he’s that magnetic.

***And I would use natch all the gorram time 😉

acidtest
    Free Member

I don’t believe the term ‘freeloader’ has been used correctly here but if it wasn’t for the ‘freeloaders’ this forum wouldn’t be anywhere near the place it is today. Everyone has their value, whether it be supplying the forum with content/keywords for google to munch on or revenue for ad clicks.

It’s a shame there are paying members leaving as the site is fairly easy to put right with a revert to backup and a different path.

everyone
    Free Member

HOLD THE FRONT PAGE, WE’VE GOT PM’S

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you a employee of STW to be responding on their behalf as you seem to be making out?

😯
    Perhaps the sarcasm was too subtle for some , not sure how mind.

Yes I work here as the butler to Mark and Chipps. Its rewarding if only meagrely paid.

Mark is very honest

I dont think you need to be a genius of business , like you are, to work out whether he prefers folk who pay or folk who dont pay.

Certainly he is diplomatic enough to not be explicit and sensible enough to try and make money from both groups.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if it wasn’t for the ‘freeloaders’ this forum wouldn’t be anywhere near the place it is today.

i doubt anyone really disagrees

it would also be considerably different if lots of folk were not financially backing it.and they could no longer pay wages

andybrad

No he’s not*, he’s just pulling your leg. Perhaps too hard it would seem.

🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Send private message”

*shudders*

Junkyard
    Free Member

you worried about all the pictures of nice shoes you will get ?

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Send private message”

*shudders*

I wondered why I had received unsolicited orthopaedic shoe fetish pictures.

Now I know.

edit: too slow!

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Website redesign – Update’ is closed to new replies.