Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 615 total)
  • Website redesign – Update
  • Richie_B

Can anyone tell me why my laptop (MacBook Pro) is defaulting to the mobile site? I’ve tried clearing the history and cookies but this has no effect

acidtest
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me why my laptop (MacBook Pro) is defaulting to the mobile site? I’ve tried clearing the history and cookies but this has no effect

Try making the window full screen if you haven’t already as when the window goes below a certain size it thinks you’re on a mobile.

Richie_B

Thanks that works.

The next question is why is the threshold set at over 10″ I can see the point of a mobile site for a 5 or 6″ screen but this is daft.

acidtest
    Free Member

Because of decisions.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s not 10″ but a specific number of pixels, typically chosen so that any tablet or phone width will be below it and anyone viewing on a desktop will be above. You’ve got normal resolution screens and retina type screens so it’s really difficult to get it right for every device – the desktop version is shown on my wife’s iPad Mini for example.

Cougar

Mibbe Cougar was just trying to be gender non-specific.

Indeed. I don’t know how many webdevs STW employ and the one I’ve spoken with via email has a name which potentially could be male or female. Even though it’s likely given the demographic, I don’t like to blindly default to assuming someone’s male. Hence, “they.”

Cougar

It’s not 10″ but a specific number of pixels

I’ve not measured it but it looks to be about 1000px.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve not measured it but it looks to be about 1000px.

1024px if anyone is interested.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Still not fixed the constant logging out then…..

Jamie
    Free Member

If a bug is reported, and a webdev never sees it, does it actually exist?

Cougar

Still not fixed the constant logging out then…..

if you can reliably replicate the problem they might.

scotroutes

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    new theme (Not site) launched on 22nd December.

So I’d not be expecting any change to login/logout behaviours

Jamie
    Free Member

if you can reliably replicate the problem they might.

I doubt it.

Not being an arse, but there are several easily reproducible bugs listed in this ginger haired stepchild of a thread, and they still persist. The only reason this thread is here, is so mods can lock and move all the individual ‘WTF forum lolz?’ threads.

FWIW, I admire you actually popping your head above the parapet, Cougar.

hammyuk
    Free Member

That’s one of the constants-how hard can it bee to look at the logs and see when each user gets booted out?

DickBarton

Steady…we (the commodity that generates revenue) are slipping into solutions rather than just reporting the issues…

scotroutes

You’re not getting “booted out” of the server. For some undetermined reason, it would appear that the cookie(s) stored in you device(s) are expiring too soon/not being created correctly/not being stored correctly/are being deleted/are not being recognised. I doubt there would be anything in a server log to indicate why this is the case.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not just me though and it doesn’t matter if you’re a “P” or not.
    This has been going on for months

sl2000

While we’re posting solutions, please could Ali change this line…

<meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width,initial-scale=1,maximum-scale=1″ />

to

<meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width,initial-scale=1″ />

…in the header so that zoom works.

I promise you that it will not affect your Google search ranking allowing users to zoom in.

scotroutes

No, not just you, but not everyone and not every time. That means there is some external (to STW) factor affecting it. If everytime STW test this on their devices it never happens, then you have to see that it’s almost impossible to resolve it.

cp

This has been going on for monthsyears

FTFY 😉

Gotta say it’s a bit disappointing there’s not been any recent ‘official’ response to the dreadfulness that is the mobile version. It’s not ‘bugs’ that needs working through, it’s simple usability.

1024px if anyone is interested.

If it’s purely pixel based why do both my phone and tablet default to mobile view – one’s 1920×1080 and the other 1920×1200? I don’t expect an answer….

sl2000

Because css ‘pixels’ are a virtual measurement these days. Explanation.

JoeG
    Free Member

Tags: Onion = Whining Bawbag

😆

acidtest
    Free Member

This would solve the login problem, if this plugin isn’t compatible with this version of wordpress then it’s not that hard to modify or use a different one…

WordPress Persistent Login

DickBarton

Are you emailing tech@ with all these solutions? Given the complete abandonment of this thread by those who can fix these issues I suspect you aren’t being heard here. Drop an email to the address (stick a read receipt on it to see if it actually gets opened)…wouldn’t surprise me if they have a mod that hide threads (bit like the chrome plugging to hide users) and this thread is hidden to them.

Jamie
    Free Member

Nah it’s not hidden. Every Friday they open the thread, crack open some artisanal real ales, and have a good laugh at all the whingers in this thread.

acidtest
    Free Member

lol

Drac

wouldn’t surprise me if they have a mod that hide threads (bit like the chrome plugging to hide users) and this thread is hidden to them.

DickBarton

That might well be the cause of all the user issues…our tinfoil suits are affecting the wifi signal so the site isn’t fully loading and things aren’t appearing to work…

AlexSimon

DickBarton – Member

That might well be the cause of all the user issues…our tinfoil suits are affecting the wifi signal so the site isn’t fully loading and things aren’t appearing to work… Advertisers realise you are susceptible and swoop in 😉

DickBarton

Unsure that is true…all adverts I see now link to the ad network. I’m thinking I’ve annoyed the powers so much at highlighting how poorly they are dealing with this so they have set all my banners to point to the ad provider…unsure if it is progress or just another error…

Mark

We’re not annoyed Dick.. Just disappointed 😉

Truth is there are bigger jobs that we are working on right now that mean the roll out of fixes to bugs are further down the line than you’d like. is all.

Right now, for example, we are working on the fact that all pages with logins need to be served on HTTPS or the latest version of Chrome will throw up an error for users. The complication is that ad serving is affected by HTTPS so that takes a bit more time than just simply installing a site wide certificate.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m quite pleased with the update – the page is definitely more responsive on our creaking work servers and the ads aren’t as intrusive.

BTW, any chance of an “ignore user” button, please? It would improve my enjoyment of the forum by exactly 97%. I could even be persuaded to subscribe if this were an option for premium users.

DickBarton

Thanks for the response…I was going for annoyed rather than disappointed so I’ll try harder.
    As you have responded, could we get a weekly update on ‘progress’ so we are aware that things are being worked on…knowing is far better than wondering. Doesn’t need to be granular but an update shows progress is being made and keep hope that one day things will be fixed.

DezB
    Free Member

PJM1974 –
    BTW, any chance of an “ignore user” button

Thread here – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singletrackworld-personal-blacklist

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good update, is this still the reporting list Mark or do you have it all and just working on it?

Mobile Android Chrome Short titles, page numbers in titles useless, random text sizes etc.

scotroutes

Thanks for the update Mark. Given the projected delay in resolving the bugs when should we expect the theme to be rolled back to the previous one?

Mark

Scotroutes.

It isn’t going to happen. Let it go.

scotroutes

Sorry, it was a genuine question. The new Theme is (mostly) working out OK for me but it does seem a few other folk are finding it more problematic (e.g. zoom)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One clever thing about the mobile version now….

As we can’t see when the last post on a thread was, or follow a link to the most recent post, we open the thread, then click on “latest post “

Hey presto! MOAR PAGE CLICKS!

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Website redesign – Update’ is closed to new replies.