Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Website hosting – recommendation please
  • House
    Free Member

I want to register a business domain name / launch a site / have my own business e-mail. Would welcome advice on hosting orgs. Clearly cost is an issue, but I know at some point I will have tech issues (have done this before but am not an expert) and would be happy to pay extra for an org with a good reputation…

Don't suppose it makes any difference, but I am a Mac / iPhone user – currently playing with some site ideas on iWeb…

Thanks!

flippinheckler
    Free Member
    innit_gareth
    Free Member

Depending on the complexity of the site you want to create:

If its fairly simple, static content etc then I'd always go for google sites, you can also have yourname@yourdomain.com but using the excellent gmail interface. Its about 50 quid, I seem to remember to set up and google obviously are responsible for the availability of your website.

More complex and I'd develop a site using google app engine and again have google deal with all hosting issues.

If creating an e-commerce site then I'd prob go for a packaged solution and anything more then, for me, I'd develop it and host it using fast hosts.

fettling
    Free Member

Nothing but good stuff to say about 5 quid hosts. You can do a basic site with them for free, just to try it out essentially. The minute you have any serious traffic or need a bit more space you will have to upgrade but their charges are very reasonable.

You can do an awful lot on their £5 a year plan and their support is great. (admitedly I have a reseller plan with them that is £150 a year).

nickb

I use gmail for my mail account (but at my own address – so they basically provide/host the gmail application for my own email address), but host my site(s) elsewhere. This is prtty easy to do, but you need to be able to set-up a few settings on the hosting side (changing MX records to the ones Google give you – sounds complicated, but all reasonably simple). However, make sure you're hosting co give you full control so you can change MX records etc – for example, streamline.net don't allow this.

fasthosts look pretty good – and 123reg are ok too.

Happy to help if you get stuck (although I'm no expert…)
    Cheers

Nick

spacemonkey

Host Papa offer a good deal for 1yr up front – includes domain reg (and possibly complete ownership), etc. I think I paid about £68 for everything a while back. And they have v good support.

cxi
    Free Member

http://www.titaninternet.co.uk/

Yes you can probably find it cheaper somewhere, but excellent support.

vrapan
    Free Member

one.com is very good and can be very cheap.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Fasthosts and Streamline are effectively the same (Streamline are resellers). Expect decent control panels (Streamline's is much superior in looks and user experience) but you will get poor to average speed & performance. There is quite a bit of downtime – particularly if you are running a database or php site (like a forum or Content Management System e.g. WordPress or Joomla). Steer well clear if that's the case.

One.Com have quicker servers but their control panel is too limited for more advanced functions. No experience with support.

5 quid hosts are the best all-rounders I've come across in terms of speed vs price, but they are email support only. They are helpful & very quick to respond, but not the best if you want hand-holding (i.e. call centre support). They are no doubt resellers, as their servers are US based, not that it's an issue as far as I'm concerned.

Hope that helps…

hoberinos
    Free Member

I've tried a number of hosts over the years for me and my clients:

easyspace.com – great service, UK based, poor email account size.
    fasthosts.co.uk – didn't get on with the control panel.
    ehosting.co.uk – didn't like the control panel.
    powweb.com – cheap. Not too reliable.
    dreamhost.com – cheap and unlimited storage, but the control panel is confusing and they get a lot of bad press.
    mediatemple.net – Beautiful, Mac like control panel. Host multiple domains on one account. Reliable service, but slow response time (US based servers). Good email support. Comparatively expensive.

As with everything, it's a case of weighing up the good against the bad and choosing the right one based on your needs.

For me, the control panel is important because I spend a lot of time setting up FTP accounts, email addresses, sub-domains etc. and I appreciate good design and usability. Admittedly, how the control panel looks isn't going to be top of most peoples list!

Tell us how you get on and who you choose.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I use UK2.net since I first set up our website this is the only company I have ever used so do not know if they are good or bad? Has anyone else used them?

House
    Free Member

Lots to think through – thanks guys

Having looked at all your suggestions this is where my thinking is:

The one I like the look of best is mediatemple – awesome look and feel – really like the iPhone app control panel idea! Big downside is that they seem to be aiming at users who know more than I do. Will keep them in mind, but probably as a next step if the biz develops

Fasthosts package looks good, but for some reason they come across as dodgy second-hand car salesmen…

5 quid hosts and HostPapa seems less gimmicky than Fasthosts and both offer a £5 per month deal – and of the two, with HostPapa using renewable energy this is probably my favorite at the moment…

It'll take me a few days to work up the site anyway so still open to thoughts… ?

munkster
    Free Member

Not a fan of them, certainly wouldn't recommend them I'm afraid.

I have used Hostroute for years, I've never had anything other than good and prompt service from them…

spokebloke
    Free Member

Moved all our stuff from fasthosts last year – slow and expensive.
    Moved it to heartinternet – much better.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

@fogliettaz, used em since 1998. nothing to compare them to, so cant recommend

House
    Free Member
    fogliettaz
    Free Member

fogliettaz – Member
    I use UK2.net since I first set up our website this is the only company I have ever used so do not know if they are good or bad? Has anyone else used them?

Drac

http://www.justhost.com/

I've found these excellent.

woffle
    Free Member

asmallorange – US based but reasonable starting prices (from $5 a month I think) and lots and lots of functionality. Their uptime is fantastic and support equally good – I've had very fast, knowledgable replies to queries even outside US trading hours ie. 7am on a Monday morning GMT.

justcycle
    Free Member

msn for me – look at office live on the web. Free, easy to use templates. Granted you may not get the most technical site but it works for me. Have a look at http://www.just-ride.net – my site, all my own work with absolutely no knowledge. I registered the domain name through either microsoft or bt (can't remember). Once you have a site up and running don't forget to get the domain registered with the search engines.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Website hosting – recommendation please’ is closed to new replies.