Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Website build – holding page?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Building a website and want to put up a holding page image while it’s ‘under construction’.

Can I just create a GIF in Photoshop with the relevant info then upload it to the top level of http://www.mypagename.co.uk using FTP?

mekon
    Free Member

The image has to be within a page called index.html index.htm or index.php

atlaz
    Free Member

no. You need to create an HTML file called index.html and then upload that and the gif. The HTML needs to contain an image tag. Something like this will help: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_images.asp

Or just point your domain at launchrock.com and set up a landing page in that first

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom Box Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 698 - The Boom B...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

How are you proposing to build a website when you don’t know how to put up a one-liner page with an image link?

allthegear
    Free Member

Make life easier on yourself – use one of the online tools that build a site from a selection of themes.

Trying to do it by hand is hard if you don’t know best way to get a holding page up. Actually, it’s hard even if you do!!

Try having a look at http://www.drupalgardens.com or http://wordpress.com

Rachel

cakefest
    Free Member

Going to be using WordPress, but not ready to do that work just yet.

Is there a way to use WP and hold off on publishing? Would like to build everything, show someone else, get agreement/make changes, then publish.

allthegear
    Free Member

Build the holding page in one tool and the live site in another? Then point DNS at the holding site until you are ready to piblish…

AlexSimon

cakefest – Member

Going to be using WordPress, but not ready to do that work just yet.

Is there a way to use WP and hold off on publishing? Would like to build everything, show someone else, get agreement/make changes, then publish. Yes, get a “maintenance mode” plugin.
    Then only logged-in users can see the site.

Everyone else sees a message you write in the plugin, or a bit of html.

wwaswas

use wordpress and just make the home page on yoururl.com the holding page for now.

you can then use a test.yoururl.com url to build the actual site and tell google to ignore it.

cakefest
    Free Member

i nned to connect my FTP client – Cyberduck – to the new website so i can start to upload files. it’s asking for server, username and password. where should that info be?

wwaswas

if it’s a hosted server then your isp should have provided it when you created your account.

if it’s your own server then it’ll be what you’ve setup.

geoffj

Have a look here

FTP to WordPress Using Cyberduck

Good luck

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I would just wait until you have content before publishing; reason being if the site is indexed by the search engines with just a holding page, it will be ranked as irrelevant and you will have to wait until it is reindexed – better to start with some relevant content IMO.

wwaswas

you can set the holding page to be invisible to the search engine ‘bots if you want, though?

AlexSimon

cakefest – Member

i nned to connect my FTP client – Cyberduck – to the new website so i can start to upload files. it’s asking for server, username and password. where should that info be?
    If this isn’t on an email from your ISP when you setup your account, it’ll because they expect you to be comfortable in cpanel.

It’s where you login to your server and change settings to do with domain/database/ftp/email/etc stuff.

None of it is particularly complicated, but you would need a tutorial/youtube vid to guide you through it the first time.

It’s also where on some systems you can do a one-click WordPress install. Then you need never use FTP if you don’t want.

If you aren’t comfortable with this, contact your host and get them to install wordpress and set up some basics for you. Depending on the host this will either be a 2-minute easy job for them and they’ll be happy to do it, or they’ll refuse and make it sound like it’s a nightmare.

cakefest
    Free Member

AlexSimon, thanks have tracked down the email from ISP and have connected Cyberduck to the site.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Website build – holding page?’ is closed to new replies.