Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Website – am I being ripped off ?
  • oxforddan
    Free Member

I am in the process of trying to find a company to design and build a website for my small business. I have limited knowledge of what is really involved and I have been very shocked by the difference in quotes.

I have had a few as low as £500 and some up to £5000 !

I need a professional site than can be marketed and built well. As I am supplying the images and text, what exactly am I paying for? I get the impression that a lot of companies just add that info to their stock templates. Do you really get what you pay for? Any advice would be welcome. Thank you

allthegear
    Free Member

Different companies will provide a different service. Some will just stick the text and images into a stock template, color it in and hand it over. Others will look to see how they can help you build an online presence that helps you reach particular goals with your business.

It depends what you are looking for to how much you want to pay. Is your online presence essential to your business, will it become a primary way of communicating with your customers and business partners? If so, you need to do it properly…

Rachel

druidh
    Free Member

oxforddan – what do you do for a living?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

+1

Our minimum charge for a site is around £5k.

nbt

It depends what kind of a website you want. If you just want a brochureware “here we are” site with maybe a contact then £500 is reasonable.

If you want a business application then £5,000 is chump change.

jmason
    Free Member

Err on the side of the £5000 ones.

druidh
    Free Member

I wanted a bespoke kitchen made but the guy wanted to charge me a small fortune. I don’t get it, all he is doing is cutting some bits of wood and sticking them together again.

oxforddan
    Free Member

Thanks rachel. It is very important to my business to have a good online presence so what should I be asking for in the website build? What should a 5k website do that a £500 one does not do? cheers

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’m surprised that folks are advising that 5k is the way forward, no really, I am.
    OP, talk to the ones that you like the look of their work. Ask them how much it costs and what they offer. Decide if you want to pay them.

nbt

Dan, you have it the wrong way round. What do you want your website to do? Based on that, you can get an idea of what it will cost.

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s worth really getting back to basics and working out *why* you want a website and what you expect it to achieve. Don’t worry about content just yet.

You need to work out who you expect to visit the site, what is their background/abilities/expectations what you expect them to do and what they are going to get out of it.

What messages do you want them to take away about your business? What is the “call to action” you want to make? How will you enable them to do what you want them to do?

I would expect a £5000 company to be helping you to answer these questions. THAT’s what you are paying for over just a template with some nice pictures in it.

Does that help?

Rachel

oxforddan
    Free Member

Hand made kitchens and furniture. Obviously a very competitive market so will need the site to display our products and generate enquiries. I need it to rank well in local search results and maybe have an online quote system where people can pick and choose units, work surface etc and get a ball park figure.

johndoh
    Free Member

To be honest, if you don’t understand the business benefit of investing in your website heavily, then spending £5k on one probably isn’t the best idea.

Gordy
    Free Member

As I am supplying the images and text, what exactly am I paying for?

You haven’t really given any details. I need someone to build me a house. How much? 🙂

Content, design, photo selection/cropping optimisation, structure, layout, form processing, browser/device compatibility, SEO smoke n mirrors – that sort of thing.

MIght you be able to find some websites you like in your field and find out who designed them then carry on as usual with references and quotes and so on.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m surprised that folks are advising that 5k is the way forward, no really, I am.
    OP, talk to the ones that you like the look of their work. Ask them how much it costs and what they offer. Decide if you want to pay them.

That’s entirely wrong – he doesn’t know hat he wants so choosing the ‘prettiest picture’ isn’t likely to be successful.

Putting it in the kitchen scenario, the customer needs to know what he wants, what appliances he needs, know budgets for taps, worktops etc – I could go on but I’m on a phone and can’t be bothered 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

1 and 1 website advertise on TV looks fine to me if your start up cost is low.

Basically, you use their template but then you are kind of in control … price seems reasonable so long as you don’t keep adding extra features you do not want.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Putting it in the kitchen scenario, the customer needs to know what he wants, what appliances he needs, know budgets for taps, worktops etc – I could go on but I’m on a phone and can’t be bothered

Kind of, like, seeing a mate’s kitchen and saying that you like it, asking how much it costs, finding out who supplied/installed it then making a decision to do further investigation on the finer details, you mean?

butcher

It’s a minefield to be honest. Price isn’t always an indication of quality.

My advice would be to proceed carefully and do your research.

As the the others say, you need to start by deciding what you actually need. A website is not just a website. A website can be very simple, or it can be a very complex piece of software.

Edit: giving some the stuff you’re asking for, it could potentially be bloody expensive. If that’s any help. But without exact details we can only be vague. 5k Doesn’t sound unreasonable at all.

grum
    Free Member

Thanks rachel. It is very important to my business to have a good online presence

Good online presence doing what? What kind of functionality do you require?

johndoh
    Free Member

Kind of, like, seeing a mate’s kitchen and saying that you like it, asking how much it costs, finding out who supplied/installed it then making a decision to do further investigation on the finer details, you mean?

Absolutely.

Then the fitter who copied your mate’s kitchen and doing it cheap hadn’t bothered to check that you had gas fitted, that the walls actually needed insulating before wall units were put up, chucked the sink in the same place even though it isn’t below a window in your kitchen, didn’t bother to ask whether you wanted in built in coffee machine even though you hate the stuff and then you end up with a great copy but not actually what you need.

Is that what you mean?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Is that what you mean?

No.
    Copied? I didn’t say copied and I think you’re making the most common of mistakes of not listening. If you’re trying to sell me a service through scare tatics and telling me what I want instead of listening to what is said, I’d be looking for someone else to do the work.
    And I am in the process of looking for a web designed too. 😀

oxforddan
    Free Member

Thanks , some useful info to consider.

John, I wanted a system like john lewis has on theirs, nothing to fancy just a rough guide price

oxforddan
    Free Member

David +1

johndoh
    Free Member

Just trying to make a point. Pay peanuts for a kitchen and you get what you have paid for.

Same with a website and the majority of things you spend money on.

But buying a website on looks could be a huge waste of money. Like buying a car because you like the colour before finding out if it does what you want, have the extras you need, uses the right fuel, handles as you like.

johndoh
    Free Member

John, I wanted a system like john lewis has on theirs, nothing to fancy just a rough guide price

Show us a link to what you want…

druidh
    Free Member

Do you think John Lewis paid nearer £500 or £5,000?

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you think John Lewis paid nearer £500 or £5,000?

Needs more zeros.

johndoh
    Free Member

Which was the point he was making I think…

johndoh
    Free Member

I want that Smallbone of Devizes kitchen with Neff appliances OP. That’s easy isn’t it? £500 should cover it, don’t you think?

davidjones15
    Free Member

But buying a website on looks could be a huge waste of money. Like buying a car because you like the colour before finding out if it does what you want, have the extras you need, uses the right fuel, handles as you like.

Which, of course, would be a ridiculous thing to do. I’m sure a normal person would at least have a play on the site to see how it all feels and drives, kind of like a test drive of a car.
    I’m sure you’re awesome at what you do johndoh, but please brush up on your sales technique. 😉

Mind you I did see a lovely Black Porsche yesterday. Do you think it’ll be a dog?

Jamie
    Free Member

Which was the point he was making I think…

I know. I was just reinfor….oh never mind.

llama

have an online quote system where people can pick and choose units, work surface etc and get a ball park figure.

You’ll get cheaper quotes if you leave this out.

johndoh
    Free Member

Which, of course, would be a ridiculous thing to do. I’m sure a normal person would at least have a play on the site to see how it all feels and drives, kind of like a test drive of a car.

Which is my point – look up there at the beginning – I have already said that if he doesn’t know why a website should cost £5k then he would probably be wasting his money by buying something not suitable…

stevehine

To put this in context; a client of mine requested a “simple static site”; just 4 or 5 pages – he supplied content/images – that was cheap.

He’s now decided that he’d like to update various bits of the site on an ad-hoc basis to reflect the changing nature of the products he offers and allow people to order things online. To facilitate this we’ve moved across to a CMS system that takes the risk out of letting him edit his own pages – and the total cost reflects the massive increase in complexity..

allthegear
    Free Member

Dan – you are in Oxford? There’s a company I know there – Torchbox. I would trust their judgement on what they think will help your business. Have a word with them.

Rachel

johndoh
    Free Member

llama – Member
    have an online quote system where people can pick and choose units, work surface etc and get a ball park figure.
    You’ll get cheaper quotes if you leave this out.
    POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

And would end up with you having to re-spec correctly (or give them something unsuitable) and losing opportunities to upsell. Someone buying a bespoke kitchen will want personal service, not a web app.

There you go – some free advice. Would your £500 ‘churn ’em out’ monkey give you that?

😉

stevehine

@johndoe – or he may not have any idea what it actually costs to build a truly bespoke site. I don’t know anyway that could quote £500 for a website that included even a simple quoting engine.

johndoh
    Free Member

Very true – £500 wouldn’t even cover writing the specification for the function…

leffeboy

Rachel has it 100% right. I’ve seen websites where people have just asked for a website and paid GBP 500 and they got a website but not really what they wanted. The more time you spend specifying what you want the more likely you are to get something that you want. There are some other things that you might want to specify that you may not have though of:

1. Do you want it to only work on a PC, a tablet, a phone?
    2. Do you want to be able to update content yourself or will you always ask the developers
    3. How fast do you want the site to be? Which visitors are those for? If it is only local people you may not want the site hosted in the US
    4. How many people do you want updating the site? Just yourself, colleagues as well?
    5. Who is going to maintain the site? Most ‘systems’ require security updates to avoid being hacked into. Remember that people don’t hack in to see your secrets – they hack in to compromise your visitors computers. You need this in the service contract
    6. What is the rework cost? It is not unusual to have a low upfront cost and then rip you on rework. Discuss it up front.

500 is way to cheap and it may not be as much as 5000 but it will be getting up there.

Also, and very importantly, having a good site doesn’t mean you will rank well but it will help. If spending money on a good site got you first page google then everyone would do it. Getting seen will also be up to you getting links in from people who you have done work for, getting reviews (maybe you need a reviews section but that is risky), photos are always good. You need to ask your supplier what you need to be doing to get your ranking up

llama

Exactly, a quoting thing like that will take min 1 day to code, and 1 day to test. That’s after you spend a day deciding exactly what you want and explaining it to them.

Coders and testers are 400 a day (edit: for good ones, not counting profit)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Website – am I being ripped off ?’ is closed to new replies.