Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Webber announces F1 retirement (at end of season)
  • the-muffin-man

I’m not sure who they should take – Kimi is the best there is available. But of the young drivers, since Hamilton came into F1, there has been no-one who has stood out.

All are good enough for F1 but I’ve not seen anyone who has ‘great’ stamped on their forehead!

thepurist

do I remember it incorrectly, but didn’t Webber sell shares in himself in his early days in the UK to raise capital for investing in setting up a drive for him?

No that was Justin Wilson – never made it in F1 but has carved out a career in the US.

Stoner
    Free Member

Aha, thanks thepurist

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    igm

Muffin man – didn’t Vettel arrive after Hamilton. I know Vettel comes across as older and wiser than Hamilton’s grumpy school boy routine, but I think he’s younger.

Hora – would Torro Rosa count as a poor team? Vettel did OK there.

I suspect the Newey-Vettel relationship is more symbiotic than it appears. Vettel can express to Newey the kind of drive he wants, Newey can build it, and then the two of them can work out how to adapt both the car and the driving style to make it go fast. Drivers need cars, designers need feedback, and not just from telemetry.

If it was just the car, then every Vettel win would have a Webber podium. There’s been a bit of that but not that much.

milky1980
    Free Member

The Toro Rosso Vettel drove was essentially a Red Bull being run by a different team, so not really a bad car. He’d have to do the same as Schumi (move from Benetton to Ferrari) and rebuild a poor team to shake the reputation for only winning in an Newey car TBH.

igm

That Toro Rosso (I will spell it right sometime) was closely related to the Red Bull (i think it may not have been an entirely current chassis) modified to accept a different engine, but it had nothing to do with Newey as I recall.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm it was scatter-gun and at newbie-level drivers always give it their all. Hamo was the same but sensational to watch in his first seasons.

I do remember his break/post-race interview after standing in for Kubica. Vettel was soooo thankful for the opportunity, thanking everyone. Made me like the guy. He has a quiet thoughtful charm? Endearing. No?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Shame the only F1 driver to have taken part in a race against me…. Well ok Mountain Mayhem not too many years back.

..maybe now he will do it again?

hora
    Free Member

Dooosuk disagree. He did what he does best. Gets on with it. He crept up on alonso/hamo. Then mugged them.

I predicted he would when everyone reckoned hamo/alonso would both walk it. Never really rated kimi. He took sooooooooooo long getting there 😆

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Raikkonen was very lucky to win the championship he did. He’s definitely not on a par with Schumacher (whatever you think of him).

He does seem to have matured well though and is doing a mighty fine job at the moment.

But McLaren did lose him a couple of championships with reliability issues when he drove for them
    Kind of fitting that they threw away FA / LH championship for kimi to take it back. These things have a way of working out in the end 🙂
    Kimi is blindingly fast, the comparisons with hakkinen are entirely valid IMO, and nothing to do with shared nationality

Pigface
    Free Member

Horner is such a gimp, just heard him on the radio saying that Webbers timing was not great, what goes around comes around. If they had treated Webber a bit better then maybe he would of done things differently.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Aha, thanks thepurist

He did actually make it to formula one, but made little progress with Minardi, which was fairly predictable. In some respects Wilson was a British Mark Webber, their early careers and results were very similar. I knew a guy who purchased £500 worth of shares, an investment akin to Ed Milliband buying furniture for No. 10.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Webber announces F1 retirement (at end of season)’ is closed to new replies.