Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Web peeps help please
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Does anyone have any SIMPLE CSS codes to make a site look like the forum page? I'm trying to put a site together where there is a background (like the Cotic one here) and a central section for text/content etc.

I'd like to keep it as simple as possible so I can understand what is going on rather than simply doing a cut and paste job, that way, I can work it through in my head and get more complex (if necessary) as I get better.

Thanks…… oh yes and btw I'm only a noob at this and while I know what I want to do I can't actually do it yet!

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Some nice CSS here

allybee
    Free Member

One thing you could do – would be great for learning as well – is download a firefox plugin called Firebug. You can then look at a site and select various parts of it, and Firebug will show you the CSS that the selected elements use. You can also edit the CSS values to see how it effects the page.

slowjo
    Free Member

Cool…thanks chaps!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

<head>
    <style>
    body {background-color:#ccc}
    .content {width:500px; margin:auto; background-color:#FFF; border:1px solid red}
    </style>

</head>

<body>
    <div class="content">
    hello world
    </div>

</body>

breatheeasy
    Free Member

on the body style replace the background-color with an image to get the 'cotic' look.

Do whatever you want for the content.

The margin:auto will centre your content in any browser window size

http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/css/quickref/css_index.html is a good site for CSS reference – few simple examples too for every style.

Enjoy. Well, you will until you need to make everything work in IE6, IE7, IE8, FF, Chrome, Safari, Macs etc. etc., then welcome to my world of pain….

slowjo
    Free Member

ooh! Good site!

No one told me it was going to be painful! ;o)

breatheeasy
    Free Member

And don't forget the CSS background style will repeat like a tile effect, so you don't need a massive background image to get the effect.

The Cotic one on here is wide but very shallow and just repeats as lots of stripes on the page in effect.

There'll be little pain involved. You don't have my customers!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Web peeps help please’ is closed to new replies.