Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Web design gurus (help)
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

i know there are a few on here could you cast your expert eye please….

we have a young student in whos designing it but were having a spot of trouble..

it works in firefox and IE9 but in IE8 it goes pete tong…

i can email you the link

nickjb
    Free Member

Before we start I am far from a guru. Getting stuff to work in various browsers seems to be about 50% of web dev so good luck:) I usually run the URL through here http://validator.w3.org/ Its far from fool proof but it highlights silly typos and usually shows the area you need to work on.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers, seems to have sussed it but firefox is not showing borders but IE is…. i’ll gethimt o use theabove site

toby1

Get the IE developer tool bar in for a start, then get firefox installed and firebug, should help you iron out any problems 🙂

(I’m a developer not a web developer by the way and my css is well out of date so I’m not offering any REAL help as I’d be useless :))

nbt

Get the IE developer tool bar in for a start

it’s built into IE now, just hit f12. Same in Chrome

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers, ive just shouted across the room at him, its nice having a gimp 😉

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Don’t forget IE and FF have a different ‘box model’. Subtle difference but makes my life hell sometimes.

Basically in IE if you say a DIV is 100px wide, then add a border it makes the content on the div narrower. Same with padding etc.

Firefox decides your content should stay 100px wide and add the border/padding etc. on top so the blasted thing gets wider, which often blows out your layout. Or makes borders disappear as they are outside the visible area perhaps….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Web design gurus (help)’ is closed to new replies.