• This topic has 39 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benji.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Weather Warnings
  • brokenbanjo

What is it with these near constant Weather Warnings on the BBC Weather site? It seems that every day has a new Yellow Warning. Then when the weather arrives it’s nothing different to weather that we never had warnings for in the past. It’s riling me for some undetermined reason at the minute. Have we really got so hyperbolic and lacking in thought that a day of drizzle needs a warning?

scotroutes

Yes

IdleJon

Oh my God, it’s going to drizzle??

Let me prepare for it. I have never seen drizzle before, what do I do?

😆

(I have the same rant about the weather forecast on a regular basis.)

5thElefant
    Free Member

In the past a polystyrene hat wasn’t a requirement for riding a bicycle. We live in dangerous times.

Drac

In the past a polystyrene hat wasn’t a requirement for riding a bicycle. We live in dangerous times.

And seat belts weren’t required for cars or smoke alarms in new houses.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In the past a polystyrene hat wasn’t a requirement

It still isn’t.

badnewz
    Free Member

Have we really got so hyperbolic and lacking in thought that a day of drizzle needs a warning?

The media has targets it needs to hit in terms of web views, tv ratings, etc so Sensationalism rules.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

From that damned BBC website…

Weather Warning
    Issued by the Met Office

jekkyl

WARNING, WHERE YOU LIVE THERE WILL BE SOME WEATHER!

Jamie
    Free Member

If it wasn’t for all those weather warnings, I would have worn my suede shoes this morning. Thanks to the MET Office, I wore some casual leather numbers, and no shoes got ruined due to the light rain.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ffs stop being a knee jerk idiot.

They didn’t warn for a day of drizzle, they warned for POSSIBLE heavy snow. It didn’t end up being much, but we were warned JUST IN CASE. They have been doing this a lot longer than you and they know more about what their customer need.

scotroutes

Warning. It’s winter. Sometimes it snows. Hardly newsworthy, is it?

badnewz
    Free Member

Ffs stop being a knee jerk idiot.

Over-reaction perhaps?

Jamie
    Free Member

Over-reaction perhaps?

YOU’RE NOT MY REAL DAD!

*storms out the room slamming the door*

Drac

Why did you mention snow, the OP never mentioned it?

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StlMdNcvCJo[/video]

Northwind

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNdrgjjsHsM&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

I understand that they’re warnings not guarantees but over the last couple of years, the number of false alarms has meant I’ve pretty much stopped paying them the slightest attention unless it’s a high end one. Especially when the BBC is predicting armageddon and everyone else is going “nice day out. Might want to take a coat, but you’ll probably be OK”

scotroutes

I blame Michael Fish

molgrips
    Free Member

Over reaction? I have to say it boils my piss when people denigrate science for no good reason. The Met Office are good, you just need to read what they say properly.

When I see a weather warning it prompts me to read more and check the forecast details. Which were bang on in my case yesterday.

Especially when the BBC is predicting armageddon

Did they? Got a link?

MoreCashThanDash

They warned of heavy snow making driving hazardous, with an ongoing risk of icy conditions.

*looks out the window at the polished icy road surface*

Don’t think I have grounds to complain about it.

fwiw, all news and information now has to be reduced to the lowest common denominator. You can blame Fatcha, Bliar, CMD or Farage as you see fit.

Northwind

Molgrips, I’m making a prediction of severe Taking Things Literally That Are Clearly Not, which will cause some disruption to your post

wanmankylung
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD3eo63spaA[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

So you’re slagging something off for exaggerating based not on on what they actually said but on an exaggerated version that you said.

Sounds about normal 🙂

Northwind

The weather forecast isn’t usually about predicting the end of the world so I thought you’d understand that “armageddon” just meant “really bad weather”. But now that you get that, the post should make sense to you.

(but just in case- the other weather forecasts weren’t literally saying “Nice day out but you might want to take a coat” either)

oldboy
    Free Member

I don’t mind the weather warning, but I do mind some halfwit bimbo telling me how to drive or what to wear.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My daughter’s home from Bucharest, she’s finding the 3″ of snow and the UK grinds to a halt really funny, when we where there in January it was -15 and the snow was 3′ deep at the side of the road, even the bin collections where going on as normal.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Molgrips – take the costume off. It’s making you all shouty and unseasonal.

CountZero

WeatherPro gave a yellow warning yesterday about strong winds, and sho’ nuff it was bloody windy last night.
    The Excess, as usual, is warning about temperatures dropping to -14° before New Year, WeatherPro shows around -3 to -4° or thereabouts, so I’ll know it’s a good idea to wear a warm coat and hat and not go out in a tee shirt and shorts.
    It’s winter, the Meeja is bored and likes to create a little hysteria. Nothing much changes.
    Having said that, it did snow oop North, and some people didn’t pay attention and got stuck for a bit.
    Again, it’s winter, it snowed, people got stuck, people are surprised.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Again, it’s winter, it snowed, people got stuck, people are surprised.

I dunno, it’d be great if someone warned them before they went out.

Drac

Having said that, it did snow oop North

No snow up North. I reckon it was the south again.

scaredypants

The Met Office are good, you just need to read what they say properly.

they cover their arse too much IMO – I bet if you knew somebody who worked there they’d have said “probably bit of snow, bit of wind, just maybe a few small drifts and yes, water on the ground might freeze” but that’s not good enough for the dickwitted plebs public and the media that feed them the hyperbole, so we get pandering to the highest common denominator in terms of scenarios.

I do blame Michael Fish, incidentally* 👿

* – or rather the dozy bastards that ridiculed him

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s been great for some kids to have had a bit of snow at Christmas though – some people would have us believe it doesn’t happen.

butcher

they cover their arse too much IMO – I bet if you knew somebody who worked there they’d have said “probably bit of snow, bit of wind, just maybe a few small drifts and yes, water on the ground might freeze” but that’s not good enough for the dickwitted plebs public and the media that feed them the hyperbole, so we get pandering to the highest common denominator in terms of scenarios.

I think they do do a bit of arse covering in the sense that if there’s some bad weather, and there are consequences to that weather, there will probably also be someone who will try to blame them for those consequences. So they always report worst case scenario and say ‘Look guys, this shit might happen!’

But to be fair, that’s a fairly sensible approach!

scaredypants

@DD – fingers crossed !

@ butcher – I wish they’d say “this is what’s most likely but the worst case might be that”, followed by “unless you’re a dickhead, don’t try to drive on half-bald summer tyres in the snow”

Jamie
    Free Member

What I don’t get, is that it was snowing 15 miles from me. About 10cm apparently, yet I just got rain.

Makes no sense. I know I am in a different place, but it’s not far away.

rOcKeTdOg

I love them, the warning of light snow meant I could leave the in-laws house early “just in case” & ultimately meant I could go riding in the snow today

timba
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mind but the Met Office has a computer that can do 1000 trillion calculations a second, and now the Government have committed to a £97m computer that’s 13x more powerful
    Their correct public forecast target for rain (and sun) in 2013/14 is 70%.
    My pine cone was about £97m less

JCL
    Free Member

It’s just another aspect of the UK copying North America. We have rain fall warnings weekly here.

wilburt
    Free Member

Any reason I shouldn’t drive from Suffolk to Glasgow this afternoon?

Weather in Suffolk is just a bit chilly, otherwise nice enough. Normal route is A1, A66,M6 but could get on the M6 in the south if the A66 is likely to be hazardous.

benji
    Free Member

It’s surely a cover your ass in the I’m going to sue you for some silly reason culture we now live in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Weather Warnings’ is closed to new replies.