Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Weather sealing a (concrete) shed?
  • Kryton57

Not a joke of Turneyguys post, but a cooincidence.

So, the winter rain pours through my breezeblock mancave, whats best to seal it over the summer? I tried Thompson water seal last year – rubbish, didn’t work.

footflaps

Our concrete block workshop is just painted with Masonry paint.

Although on the inside there is 150mm of Celotex, so no way damp will ever get past that.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Clad it? Done right it’ll look way better than breeze block.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thomsons water shield is bobbins, its silicate content is very low in comparison to other products. If you want something that will really work use THIS
    Ive used this product and its quality but expensive..

Daffy

wrightyson – Member
    Thomsons water shield is bobbins, its silicate content is very low in comparison to other products. If you want something that will really work use THIS
    Ive used this product and its quality but expensive..

Do you know that it works?

tonyplym
    Free Member

This stuff is supposed to be quite good, and has a BBA certificate to go with it (link), which means that its been independently tested.

Kryton57

^^ £120 for 5l – I need 10l 😯

Thanks but I might stick with the masonry paint…

Daffy

Your “mancave” has 80m^2 of exterior walls and you’re worried about £240?!

nickjb
    Free Member

Thanks but I might stick with the masonry paint…

Sandtex is a decent price at screwfix if you do go this way. With a couple of coats its pretty good. Cladding or render is the proper answer, though

wrightyson
    Free Member

Daffy yes I know that it works. Why would I recommend it if not? In fact it works very well, but your knowledge of the product is perhaps better than mine. Please enlighten me.

grey

Cement wash on blocks made with lots of PVA in it and once dry paint with masonary paint.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Paint it. Wrightyson’s stuff may be excellent and worth the price if you have some nice brickwork but not a breezeblock shed imo

wrightyson
    Free Member

Totally agree with the above. If theyre a decent fair faced block it will work, if however they are an open texture it will still work but require more of the expensive stuff.

Daffy

wrightyson – Member
    Daffy yes I know that it works. Why would I recommend it if not? In fact it works very well, but your knowledge of the product is perhaps better than mine. Please enlighten me.

Sorry , Fella – It wasn’t meant to be a hostile question, I was genuinely interested. The west-facing wall of my house leaks under driving rain and I Thomsons was recommended, but it’s not really doing much even after 2 coats.

natrix
    Free Member

Why not use your namesake, Kryton concrete waterproofer???

Home

wrightyson
    Free Member

Apologies for the bite Daffy one of those days on site.
    Ive used it to very good effect on some very exposed brickwork, as in roof line height. It genuinely solved the problem immediately. Ive known the sovereign rep for many years and he was the one who pointed out thomsons lack of silicates (I think that’s what he said)and why the product was not as effective.
    Best example I can give other than solving the problem of the penetrating rain is I dropped a blob on some paving 10m odd below, even now 4 years later when it rains the water still beads away from that area.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Weather sealing a (concrete) shed?’ is closed to new replies.