Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Weather proof clothing for commute
  • tyger
    Free Member

I'm starting my new job in October and it's only a 3.5 mile commute.

Never having commuted before what would be the best biking weather proof gear to get for a non-suited office role? There is changing rooms and shower on site.

It needs to get me through Winter too.

Cheers

Gary_M
    Free Member

what would be the best biking weather proof gear to get for a non-suited office

So are you riding to work in your work clothes? Overtrousers and any waterproof. I use a gore fusion jacket – very waterproof and very breathable, but I'm not a sweaty type.

tyger
    Free Member

I might ride in my work clothes as 3.5 miles isn't enough for me to really warm up although a change of clothes would be better I'm thinking. This is all new to me 🙂

dazh

I've a similar length commute and started off riding in work clothes but found there was no way to keep dry and non-sweaty if it rained. I now just put the work clothes in a small rucksack, leave shoes at work and wear normal biking gear which works much better and I don't need worry about the weather.

tyger
    Free Member

Okay thanks – any recommendations for bike gear?

langy
    Free Member

you have changing room and shower? almost doesn't need to be weather proof!

Leave shoes under the desk, trousers at work and toiletry stuff there too; then all you have to carry is undies socks tee/shirt.

Personally, I use a breathable lightweight waterproof jkt and 3/4 waterproof shorts – this keeps you dry in the key areas without overheating and getting saturated from your own sweat. Also keeps you clean – there is so much crap that you get thrown up from the road in the winter.

AndyP
    Free Member

work clothes in bag, normal cycling gear. Leave shoes/towel/soap at work as above.

dazh

Base Layer (Helly Hansens are good but they don't call them smelly hellys for nothing), lycra/baggy shorts, thermal lycra tights/leg warmers for mid-winter and a jacket (eg Altura Nevis). And sealskinz socks if you value dry feet when it's peeing it down.

Gary_M
    Free Member

well in winter I generally use gore waterproof shorts, gore fusion jacket, solo merino knee warmers, bib shorts and a long sleeve jersey. A gore skull cap keeps your ears warm and the heat in. Still trying to find the 'right' glove at the moment but using adaptable specialized sub zeros. Oh and shimano winter boots/merino socks.

grazzer1
    Free Member

I used to commute 3.5 miles in my work clothes.
    I found that a pair of wellies, some £60 berghaus over-trousers and a goretex jacket sorted me out on a wet day.
    The soles on my wellies were really grippy on my wellgo V12 copies…an added bonus.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I'd just get mudguards (you stay a lot drier if it does rain and you don't get road much on your clothes) and some cheap windproof/shower proof (altura one for about £30 is okay). For that distance I doubt I'd bother changing except in the middle of summer. Windproofs are much much more breathable than even the very expensive waterproofs, and cost next to nothing in comparison. Maybe get a cheap waterproof in case it is tipping it down – they are mostly pretty waterproof, you just have to ride slower to avoid sweating too much.

Joe

dmiller
    Free Member

I used to commute 3.5 miles in my work clothes.
    I found that a pair of wellies, some £60 berghaus over-trousers and a goretex jacket sorted me out on a wet day.
    The soles on my wellies were really grippy on my wellgo V12 copies…an added bonus.

Please tell me you dropped roadies while wearing wellies. That would make my day 😆

BoardinBob

My office is only about 4 miles from the house so I pop into work in the car every 2nd Sunday with enough shirts, trousers and underwear to last me a fortnight. We've got lockers so my stuff stays in there along with toiletries and shoes. I shower at work too.

I just get up in the morning and stick my cycling gear on: bib shorts, race face baggies. In summer just a cycling top, in winter a S/S base layer over a L/S one. Maybe a soft shell if it's sub zero, maybe a jacket if it's torrential rain.

StirlingCrispin

I ride three miles each way with a climb past the Wallace Monument to warm me up. I take it nice and gentle – I get warm but not sweaty.

My bike has full-length mud guards with front mud flap.

I cycle in my work clothes and shoes. I wear a baseball cap, Freestyle Goretex Event jacket on top and Rainlegs below. My lunch etc is carried in a Carradice saddlebag.

I've just done a five-mile circuit to town and back in my office clothes. Why do it any other way?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Weather proof clothing for commute’ is closed to new replies.