Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wearing two pairs of shorts in a 24hr race?
  • FAIL
    Free Member

By that I mean two pairs of shorts at the same time.

Anyone tried this in a 24hr race?

Any other arse saving tips?

JB
    Free Member

Doesnt matter… whatever you do everything hurts after 12hrs and, like blisters, it hurts but doesnt get much worse after that point. The 2nd half is simply all about how well you have learned to suffer!!! 😕

13thfloormonk

I'd be worried about the extra pair of shorts 'pulling' the original pair out of shape, or putting extra pressure on seams.

Protective used to offer shorts with 'endurance' padding, and chamois cream definitely makes a difference.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    xc-steve
    Free Member

Just grin and bear it! My bottom only started to hurt in the last 30miles… first 200miles were bliss! 😉

uplink
    Free Member

I've certainly done it before & found it comfortable enough
    Hard to say if it helped

MrSparkle

Two words – 'Betty Swollocks'.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i find chamois cream accentuates any issues i have . seems to soften the skin . Any time ive used real chamois cream tried assos and udderly smooth ive ended up with a badly blistered/cut and bloody arse after 10 hrs – riding on doesnt make it much worse but it takes a while to heal. Did 2 & 300 k audaxs + strathpuffer 24 dry sat on an slr135 – except for light bruising i was able to ride to work the next day …. Obviously everyones different but its not always the answer.

2 pairs of shorts always lead to pinching in the crotch for me. 1 pair of good quality and comfortable shorts .

Variation in hand position is important for me or my last 2/3 fingers go numb.

nickc

Are you doing it solo or in a team? If it's the first then minty arse lard is your friend, if the latter, regular shorts will be fine

xc-steve
    Free Member

Terry, how long does it take for your hands to get back to normal? I still don't have 100% function back in them! Tis getting a tiny bit frustrating!

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm probably lucky then I don't suffer at all. I swear by good race cut bib shorts, no creams and a clean botty.
    I can do a 24 solo with no problems down there without changing shorts.
    I also prefer minimal padding and saddle with no stitched panels i.e old Flites.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Took a week after mayhem steve from there i moved to ergon gx1 in the small size as if you take it too far you can loose the feeling perminantly . Didnt feel like risking it . The ergons are a hundred times better – never got the numbness at puffer

xc-steve
    Free Member

ah cool, shall look into them if I decide to punish my body again!

FAIL
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses.

I'm doing it solo.

I've done two solo before:

1st time I changed to another pair of shorts after 12hrs, had some cream on all the way through. My arse was okay until about 6 hrs to go.
    2nd time I changed shorts every 4 to 5 hrs and didn't bother with any cream. Arse wasn't too bad until the very end.

I've never had blisters or blood involved so maybe I should count myself lucky.

The pain in my legs will take my mind off the pain in my arse anyway.

nickc

The pain in my legs will take my mind off the pain in my arse anyway.

Aye, that's the spirit

FuzzyWuzzy

I'd imagine one pair of very good bib shorts would be better than two pairs of average shorts. As with saddles, comfort doesn't come from the amount of padding but the fit/shape and absence of seams etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i find swapping shorts for those with a different brand/shape of chamois helps as it creates different pressure points …

i use endura fs260 bibs in red with obligatory brown stain from mud…. and demarchi 3/4 bibs and the change is like starting again 😀

walleater

I find on every lap, stopping in the middle of the trail, pulling down shorts, bending over and splaying ass cheeks as wide as possible for 30 seconds does the job.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

i've never done a 24 hr race but i do commute a lot of miles and i find two pairs of shorts works for me.

udderly smooth chamois cream followed by a cheapish pair of lycra shorts (decathlon) with endura bib shorts over the top.

The enduras keep the decathlon shorts in place but allow a small amount of movement between the surfaces of the shorts which is preferable to them rubbing against your butt cheeks.

try it beforehand to see if it works for you.

epicyclo

Vaseline, no padding.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wearing two pairs of shorts in a 24hr race?’ is closed to new replies.