Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Wearing shorts this time of year .
  • ooOOoo
    Free Member

And that's what I imbibe before I start my commute. Cheers! 😛

ourmaninthenorth

I spent 20 years playing hockey, almost all of which was on astroturf. Consequently, my knees are pretty knackered (the grip and hardness of the pitch causes plenty of wear on joints, esp. knees).

So, once the temperature is below around 15 degress, whether I'm on the road bike or MTB, I'll wear leg warmers or longs. I sometimes wear then at the track, too, even though that's indoors.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Once you accept the lycra is the way to go, tights are easy.

Bloody glad of them this morning. 5C, pissing down and most of the trails turned to streams. They are quietly drying out next to me and dropping their grit on the office floor.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Seems to be that those folk who do a lot of racing/cross/road riding seem to go to tights, whilst the more 'weekend warrior' folk stick with shorts. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I ride on the road mostly so yes you're wrong .;)

br
    Free Member

We rode in The Peaks yesterday, and also amazed by people wearing shorts, but then most were still young…

Me; 3/4 tights under Endura Stealth over-tights – dry and warm.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Those young whippersnappers…..such fools methinks!

philfive
    Free Member

rode gisburn saturday and then pennine way sunday and i wore a thermal base layer, a 661 t shirt, pair of lycra clip in liners, pair of endura singletracks and my kyle strait knee pads. i was warm through out but i did put a beanie hat on sunday.

from my old infantry days all we got told was keep your core warm, so aslong as you keep going and dont stop and let the sweat cool down u will be fine.

oldgit
    Free Member

3/4s with sports balm on the exposed bits, hot and waterproof. Getting leg warmers for the road though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but then most were still young

that hasn't applied to me for several decades :o)

MrSalmon
    Free Member

is there any virtue in being too hot when its not actually necessary?

I'd bet it's a very small minority that would really get too hot. I'm with iDave- why wouldn't you? Everything just works better when it's warmer.

That said, I wear Singletrack 3/4 shorts over normal length lycra on the MTB and rarely feel I want longer lycra too.

Curly68
    Free Member

Shorts for me as well but have ordered some tights from Wiggle this week!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I'm with iDave- why wouldn't you

Because some people don't want to, it really is that simple. There is no right or wrong.

clunker

Tights used for the first time on Thursday night, under 3/4s of cause!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What njee20 said. Nothing better than being toasty on sub-zero rides.

I also hate having to ride hard to stay warm/getting cold cos you are with slowcoaches.

crazy-legs

from my old infantry days all we got told was keep your core warm, so aslong as you keep going and dont stop and let the sweat cool down u will be fine.

That's all well and good until you get a mechanical on the most exposed part of the ride. I like clothing with long zips, makes it really easy to regulate temperature without putting layers on and off all the time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but have ordered some tights from Wiggle this week!

I believe they're available with a pre-fitted anal tickler ?

Cheeks
    Free Member

3/4 lycra with knee length hummvee over the top, sounds daft but just looks like your wearing knee pads when on

Goz
    Free Member

Shorts for me all year round…either with knee warmers, leg warmers or tights…..and on there own, when its warm only, lycra for road, baggies offroad of coarse…In my world i would rather be to warm rather than cold..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

A certain well-known Olympic athlete expressed surprise that I was wearing shorts in early September, apparently anything below 15 degrees counts as legwarmers weather for them…

It seems to me that, since Olympic athletes are driving themselves right to the limits of human endurance, they might be more prone to stress injury than lazy old gits like me, and I think they are highly superstitious as a group, so I wouldn't bother to consult them for sensible advice…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think they are highly superstitious as a group, so I wouldn't bother to consult them for sensible advice…

YOU think? Is that meant to have a bearing for the rest of us?

🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is that meant to have a bearing for the rest of us?

sorry al, this a knee and shorts thread… for bearings see http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/best-grease-for-hub-bearings

cynic-al
    Free Member

oh my sides 😐

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Wearing shorts this time of year .’ is closed to new replies.