Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Wearing shorts for work
  • project
    Free Member

Can men wear shorts as womeen are allowed to wear skirts, a skirt is out of the question as i dont shave my legs.

Previously when i worked in a hospital, i was told not to let the patients see me wearing lycra, this despite cycling in 15 miles every day.

She never did explain why either.

MartynS

I’m wearing shorts today……

sssimon
    Free Member

shorts from april to october here, my legs feel funny when i am forced to wear trousers

enduro-aid
    Free Member

i’m considering wearing shorts tomorrow but fear the abuse i may get when staff see my skinny ass legs

skiboy
    Free Member

shorts here last 6 weeks

GaryLake
    Free Member

Shorts here. But work in a design studio where jeans and t-shirt is normal atire anyway, so shorts is hardly a giant leap. Boss isn’t too keen but it’s pay for air con or let me wear shorts 🙂

maycontainnuts

No shorts for site workers, which sucks when you’re a welder and need to put on overalls, gauntlets, hat and mask.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

hels
    Free Member

Hark at you design studio types – always get the nicest, brightest, lightest officea at the top of the building them moan that it’s too hot ! I get to work in a dungeon. I’d happily swap offices with our design people, and promise not to flash my legs.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Plenty of Utility Kilts on Ebay and Amazon 😀

Let it all hang free…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Utility Kilts

I’ve never done much work on sites, but often wondered if anyone ever had the balls 😯 to actually wear them – I assume they were instantly banned for some reason or another.

Maybe ernie has a few?

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Shorts here. Unless a job requires greater protection. Self employed sparks.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Only postmen should be allowed to wear shorts, everyone else should wear tweed.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Shorts all the time here. Then again I am out of the way of the public.

footflaps

I wear shorts in the office if it’s warm outside…

toby1

Shorts ftw, the advantage of working for a .com – no formality 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yep shorts here too (and shaved legs to match 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have been wearing shorts since feb and only had trousers on when the occasion has demanded. It is bloody hot in my office tho I dont think I could see the day out wearing Jeans.

yunki
    Free Member

I saw a dude walking through a local provincial trading estate the other day rocking a very dashing and to be quite honest very well cut 3 piece suit…

with short trousers..

Klunk
    Free Member

working from home I get to sit here in my pants 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Del

shorts pretty much all the time. might go to 3/4 day to day, maybe trews and a shirt if i have a customer in. 😀

FuzzyWuzzy

We have dress-down Friday but shorts, sandals and big logos on t-shirts are all explicitly banned. Looking around the office though I’m pretty happy about the no shorts/sandals rule, I ignore the t-shirt thing though as that would exclude 90% of my wardrobe.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Hark at you design studio types – always get the nicest, brightest, lightest officea at the top of the building them moan that it’s too hot ! I get to work in a dungeon. I’d happily swap offices with our design people, and promise not to flash my legs.

😀

nedrapier

clicky linky to article:

“A friend of mine told me that British Foreign service workers used to receive hardship pay to live in Washington, DC at one time due to the hot summers. Now that the Earth is warming, we all need to think about more comfortable work attire for hot climates. Part of me wishes that the Continental Advocat’s robes were long enough to hide that one is wearing shorts. Of course, the alternative is to wear Bermuda Shorts as they do in Bermuda.

The real Bermuda shorts, worn three inches above the knee and they are correct national day and evening attire for any non-formal occasion including meetings on the Island of Bermuda. The correct mode of dress is Bermuda hose (imported long – knee-length – socks), plus a white or blue button down imported Oxford or other appropriate short sleeved shirt and conservative Windsor knotted striped or corporate insignia or club or regimental tie, with a single or double breasted navy blue blazer or a sport coat or madras or linen jacket that contrasts with the Bermuda Shorts, and tassel loafers. While dressy, They are not formal wear. There is no such thing as black formal Bermuda shorts. When invitations state formal wear on the Island, they exclude Bermuda Shorts and instead mean a dinner jacket, with matching long trousers and bow tie.

If you are tempted to go the route of wearing the Bermuda shorts attire, the proper hose can be found by googling “Bermuda Socks” or “Men’s Long Golf Socks”. The proper Bermuda hose is similar to kilt hose in that it comes almost to the knee and then folds over. The socks are thin knee-highs. The tops fold down 4 inches; the top of the fold ending at the top of your calf. This ebay seller carries this type of sock at a reasonable price, but you can expect to pay anywhere from £2.25-9.99+.
    Proper Business shorts are made of finer fabrics, traditionally linen or wool blends, usually in subtle shades such as gray, beige or navy blue. But you will find them also in tropical color including pink, green and yellow. It seems to me that cotton would also work provided it is in a conservative colour (khaki, stone, etc.). The US Company Lands Endhas been trying to bring the Bermuda short fashion to the States and sells what appears to me to be an acceptable pair for business attire. You are also looking for a 23 CM (9 inch) inseam if you are of average height for that proper Bermuda Shorts look.

the Real Deal (English Sports Shop Linen!)
    If you are willing to travel to Bermuda to buy REAL Bermuda shorts, the best place to buy Bermuda Shorts is the English Sports Shop (49 Front Street, Hamilton City, Phone: (441)295-2672)or Aston & Gunn (2 Reid Street, Hamilton HM 11 Phone: (441) 295-4866) At least you will know that you are being truly authentic in your attire.

Well, it’s a thought for hot weather business attire! If we can’t do something about climate change, then we will have to do something about dressing to survive the hot weather that comes with that change.

See also:

Bermuda Shorts–Unique clothing for men and women as business attire and smart casuals
    Local Customs: 10 Tips on how to wear Bermuda Shorts
    Bermuda Clothing Stores”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Wearing shorts for work’ is closed to new replies.