Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • wearing a helmet on the slopes…
  • alpin
    Free Member

I don’t care what TJ thinks…

Was out on the slopes yesterday. First time this season. Only went on the slopes as there wasn’t enough wind to snowkite.

Thought to myself, do i wear my hat and headphones or my helmet? Glad I went for the helmet…

Cruising down an easy blue at nigh on full pelt I caught my back edge which sent my flying backwards. Next thing I know I’m lying there goggleless, my helmet skewed, the wind knocked out of me. It too me a while to pick myself up. Bit of a sore head, pain in my wrists.

On the way home i couldn’t move my left hand. Woke up this morning with a stiff neck. Checked my helmet and there is a three inch long crack in it….

dread to think what state I would be in if I wasn’t wearing it….

Have fun, stay safe!

fattyre500
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter how ‘uncool’ you think you look in a bike helmet you look better than you would sitting in a wheel chair unable to speak with dribble dropping uncontrollably into your lap cos you’ve smashed your skull into a pine tree at 30mph.

njee20
    Free Member

Have to say I’m not fussed wearing one while skiing, I just don’t push it.

GrahamS

Meh. Survived fine without a snowboard helmet for 15 odd years, despite multiple head bumps on Scottish ice.

Only got a helmet cos they are required at the snowdome and the rental ones were full of teenager sweat and pheromones. 😕 Now glad I’ve got one as it is comfy, cosy, and keeps my goggle in place, plus I can rattle it off branches on tree runs and take other risks that I wouldn’t take on without a helmet…

alpin
    Free Member

I wasn’t pushing it. Ok, was traveling pretty quick, but I was alone on a wide, not steep blue. Don’t know what happened. Back edge dug in and that was that. To be fair you don’t have to be going all that fast to crack your head against the ice.

My biggest worry was always the other idiots on the slope; a ski in the back of the head or collision…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

If you wear one MTBing why would you not wear one on the ski slopes? I push myself just as hard on pretty much the same trails! It’s stupid not to IMO.

GrahamS

My biggest worry was always the other idiots on the slope; a ski in the back of the head or collision…

The biggest worry for me is that someone wearing a helmet crashes into me and nuts me!
    Hence helmets breed helmets!

SD-253
    Free Member

Came of on road once slid along the floor needed about 30 stitches in different parts of my face eyelid almost of. Still did not buy a helmet just did not like wearing them (not cool came into it). Eventually spotted a multipurpose helmet thick plastic outer, a khaki color brilliant gets you noticed which is always an advantage when you are cycling.
    Bike mechanic told me about bloke in his eighties who had never worn a helmet he came off on a steep hill and scalped himself soon as he got out of hospital he went straight round and bought a helmet.
    The front of my helmet is now scratched badly so would have been in need of some stitches if I had not bought it.

nealglover
    Free Member

Have to say I’m not fussed wearing one while skiing, I just don’t push it.

You might not push it, but there are plenty of other people around who haven’t a clue and will take you out in a split second totally unseen.

I am an Ex Instructor with Hundreds of weeks experience, so I would consider myself a perfectly safe and competent skier, but I was taken out on an easy red four years ago by an out of control “first weeker” who shouldn’t have been there.

Didn’t even hear him coming when he hit me from behind and the result was. Unconscious for half an hour, very badly broken shoulder, horrible headaches for 4 weeks.

I was wearing a helmet. Hate to think what it would have been like if I hadn’t 😐

aracer
    Free Member

Clearly they should make helmet use on the slopes compulsory.

legend
    Free Member

It’s going that way in many resorts

bruk

Bought my 1st helmet after had a private lesson on boarding between trees in Canada when the instructor said ‘oh you don’t have a helmet. Don’t worry you’ll probably be ok!’

Had nasty incident heading down red run in lovely snow, was going quite fast when someone jumped in from side of piste without looking and wiped me out. Cartwheeled for a fair distance. Sore back after that 1 so the next purchase was a dainese back protector gilet which is dead comfy. Never had a need for it since I bought it but still wear it and a nice new noggin with less scratches and dents than the 1st.

Think some places in North America have made them compulsory.

I was the 1st in our group to buy 1 and now several years later everyone is wearing one.

GrahamS

Clearly they should make helmet use on the slopes compulsory.

Are we trying to squeeze out one more helmet debate before the end of the year? 😉

FWIW I’m against compulsion (both on bikes and snow) but I suspect insurance will eventually force the issue, on snow at least.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok so you helmet cracked, doesn’t mean it saved your life. I’ve banged my head many a time skiing like that and im still around. And wasn’t wearing a helmet. In fact I am sure that I would have been through about 10 helmets by now if I had used one…

shotsaway
    Free Member

I bought my first cycle helmet in 1997 or 1998 but for some reason, I didn’t use a helmet on the slopes. That all changed in Austria (Zell am Zee) in 2004. Whilst boarding I caught a heel edge and flipped myself backwards. I landed on my head and spent 2 days in hospital in Kaprun. When I went boarding the following year, I bought myself a helmet and I have worn one ever since.

Unfortunately the Zell am Zee accident, caused me other long term problems, which a helmet wouldn’t have protected me from. I damaged my C6 vertebrae, so the disc now pushes on my nerves and from time to time I get intense neck, shoulder and upper arm pains on my right side. Physio every couple of months. Luckily I had no long term damage from the head injury though but it could have been worse.

My choice is always to wear a helmet and everybody is entitled to make their own choices. Although I’m sure that in some resorts/countries it is compulsory that children wear helmets?

alpin
    Free Member

Knocked my head many a time too when not wearing a helmet… Stupidly mostly on the bike. It hurts, but I’ve always been lucky in that I could just walk away.

The fact that I was lying there yesterday for a minute trying to work out where I was, what just happened and which way was up means I’m glad I was wearing one. Most likely be in hospital now if i wasn’t wearing one.

Defiantly my worst impact to date. Neck still sore.

legend
    Free Member

I’ve banged my head many a time skiing like that and im still around.

Caught your heal-edge when skiing? Skillz

Junkyard
    Free Member

Didn’t even hear him coming when he hit me from behind

So the helmet meant you could not hear properly and caused the accident

Yours

TJ

Woody
    Free Member

I wasn’t pushing it.

There-in lies the key to your fall – lack of concentration on an easy run 😉

I find a helmet quite comfy on the slopes and almost always wear one when boarding due to falling/crashing more. Rarely feel the need on skis unless I intend to be in trees.

Maybe next time I’ll wear my motorbike waterproof one piece suit with full knee, hip, shoulder and spine protection. You can’t be too careful 🙄

aracer
    Free Member

Unfortunately the Zell am Zee accident, caused me other long term problems, which a helmet wouldn’t have protected me from.

So why is it you now choose to wear a helmet, but not neck/spine protection? 😕

fourbanger
    Free Member

Helmets should be worn by all humans during waking hours. Wake up, helmet goes on. It would reduce the risk of head injuries so therefore a good idea. If you don’t agree, you’re just a fashion victim who cares more about looking cool than being safe. Think of those who have to feed you soup through a straw if you get injured in a furious master bating accident, think of those you leave behind! Etc etc yawn.

the_lecht_rocks

Beat myself up badly 10 years again chamonix…. Bought one that night as I always wore a mtb helmet and was skiing much faster than I mtb…. I was utterly derided by my mates, and lo and behold, they’re wearing them now too…..

GrahamS

Helmets should be worn by all humans during waking hours. Wake up, helmet goes on

But then what if you fall out of bed in your sleep?

nealglover
    Free Member

So the helmet meant you could not hear properly and caused the accident
    Yours
    TJ

Nah 🙂

I don’t wear the Ear cover part of the helmet (clip off design) as it gets too warm and I can’t hear what’s going on.

Just a soft snow day so there was not much “piste noise” as he approached.

But thanks for the input TJ 😉

bruk

I’m all for personal choice. Helmets can be hot and sweaty and not always comfy but I can’t see why you wouldn’t wear one skiing or boarding. It is often others on the slopes that can cause you problems and why not wear something that ameliorates the risk?

Famous case of Natasha Richardson who fell on beginner slopes, appeared normal initially afterwards then died of an epidural haematoma despite medical tx later.

Each to their own.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The evidence for ski helmets reducing the risk of major injury on the slopes is way better than that for cycle helmets.

There is not good evidence yet that they reduce death rates on snow, but deaths on the slope are not frequent enough for simple statistically powerful enough trials. Same thing really applies to MTBing, available studies apply to road not MTBing hence TJ will always have an argument.

deft
    Free Member

I was with a guide when they sustained a pretty severe head injury, on a blue run. Someone pelted into them from upslope. Ironically the other person was wearing a helmet.

GrahamS

Famous case of Natasha Richardson who fell on beginner slopes

Pretty poor example though. She had a simple low speed fall that resulted in an incredibly unlucky injury. Same thing could have happened in the street or at home. Accidents happen.

nealglover
    Free Member

I find a helmet quite comfy on the slopes

Me too.

That’s why I choose to wear one. As there aren’t really any downsides that are worth worrying about.

Maybe next time I’ll wear my motorbike waterproof one piece suit with full knee, hip, shoulder and spine protection. You can’t be too careful

Seems an odd thing to say after already saying you find wearing a helmet comfortable ?

I’m all for choice, helmets shouldn’t be compulsory in my opinion.

But people should be aware that its not just their superior skills that they are relying on.

Sit on any chairlift and watch the slope below, it will be a rare event to not see a collision between two random people given 5 mins watching.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I support personal choice and freedom to make irrational decisions! 😉 Logic tells me to wear a lid horse riding, bike riding and skiing. But:

Horses 100%
    Bikes (0% pre triathlon rules) now 85% but still enjoy the occassional lidless MTB ride
    Skiing 0% despite skiing hard and fast.

Hard to reconcile those choices. But with a cousin paralysed by MTB this year* I am more persuaded by spine protection in all three sports than by helmets. Saw some v lightweight Atomic ski vest with spine protection in France before Christmas which looked good across sports.

I would hate to see legislation on this though.

* enough to persuade me, at least, that MTB is a (potentially) dangerous sport.

aracer
    Free Member

Sit on any chairlift and watch the slope below, it will be a rare event to not see a collision between two random people given 5 mins watching.

I’ve not been on downhill slopes at a major resort for about 10 years – has this changed since then? Because I don’t remember large numbers of collisions between people. Is there a correlation between increased helmet usage (they were still pretty rare when I last went) and increased numbers of collisions on the slopes?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Helmets should be worn by all humans during waking hours. Wake up, helmet goes on

But then what if you fall out of bed in your sleep?

[/quote]

GrahamS, you make a valid point. I’m upgrading my fit of self-righteousness to include helmet wearing in bed. PROVEN through anecdote to make sleeping safer. The only issue I see is washing your hair, but despite baths and showers causing many head injuries, I think it’s morally OK to remove your lid if its inconvenient.

legend
    Free Member

Nope, wouldn’t say that it’s changed at all. Been skiing for many moons now, collisions always happen. 9 times out of a 10 it’s slow speed stuff on the beginners slope, but the ones that aren’t cant be pretty painful*!

*try a “Y” slalom, still baring the scars from 15 years ago!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Pretty poor example though. She had a simple low speed fall * that resulted in an incredibly unlucky injury. Same thing could have happened in the street or at home. Accidents happen.

She died skiing from a head injury I have no idea why you consider it to be a poor example. What exactly would you want then? That is a serious question.

I get the argument that i could have a head injury anywhere but it is obvious that I am going to fall more often learning to ski than walking as I am proficient at the later and have never done the former.

I would say it is a perfect example tbh and it shows that the nay sayers will never be convinced by any incident – its a free choice thing anyway.

* i read terms like seemed innocuous but no description of the crash from a quick google

or
    It remained unclear Thursday exactly how she was injured. Resort officials have said only that she fell on a beginner’s trail and later reported not feeling well.

As her injury is usually caused by a fractured skull I would assume it was severe in some respects

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve not been on downhill slopes at a major resort for about 10 years – has this changed since then? Because I don’t remember large numbers of collisions between people. Is there a correlation between increased helmet usage (they were still pretty rare when I last went) and increased numbers of collisions on the slopes?

No it’s not changed at all in my time

I spent every day working in the Beginner/Intermediate areas of a mid size resort in Austria and those are the areas that most of the collisions tent to happen.

And one of the main issues is that those areas also tend to be the ones that are “pass through” areas for all the other people in the resort at some stage.
    Including those that consider themselves “good skiers” but have no concept of safety for some reason (no proper lessons maybe?) and lack the ability to ski in control and adapt their skiing to different situations.

GrahamS

She died skiing from a head injury I have no idea why you consider it to be a poor example. What exactly would you want then? That is a serious question.

From memory she wasn’t even skiing at the time. I seem to remember she just fell over while stood in a line up or some such prat fall. Very innocuous.

As her injury is usually caused by a fractured skull

In her case there was no fracture, or visible head injury, she refused medical treatment twice and appeared to be perfectly fine. They didn’t go into medical history but it seems likely she had a prior medical condition or genetic predisposition. .

Basically it was a freak accident, which is (mainly) why it made the news – it was totally atypical of the kind of injuries helmets are worn to prevent. Which is why it is a poor example.

Woody
    Free Member

Maybe next time I’ll wear my motorbike waterproof one piece suit with full knee, hip, shoulder and spine protection. You can’t be too careful

[quote]Seems an odd thing to say after already saying you find wearing a helmet comfortable ? [/quote]Sometimes I just like to feel the mountain breeze blowing through my hair 😉

I make my own decisions re my personal safety and protection (when permissable) The bike suit would obviously provide much better protection but you ignored the 🙄 emoticon placed there due to my opinion that safety gear has to be a compromise in some way. What about full face helmets, as most head injuries I’ve seen on the slopes have been facial impacts? You then get even further into the realms of potential c-spine injuries due to increase in rotational/inertia forces.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I knocked my self out learning to board not wearing a helmet in a similar way Alpin.

I’ve worn one ever since and frankly, the high speeds and terrain I sometimes do on the snowboard make my mountain biking seem pedestrian. I also wear knee, elbow and wrist protectors. It’s not as if it’s uncomfortable.

Glad you’re OK.

nealglover
    Free Member

What about full face helmets, as most head injuries I’ve seen on the slopes have been facial impacts? You then get even further into the realms of potential c-spine injuries due to increase in rotational/inertia forces.

I looked into that a while ago (after my crash I mentioned above) and I ended up with a RuRoc full face (ish) helmet, its adaptable with or without the face protection really easily, and I wear it mainly when it’s really cold to be honest.

But it is light and doesn’t get too warm as the venting is really clever and it’s only really hot if your not moving.

The bonus is that it doesn’t really increase the chances of Rotational injuries like a “traditional” Full Face would as its so close to the face at the front.

Woody
    Free Member

Do you see many others wearing that outside of a Star Wars convention?

Seriously though, on a practical note, is the vent in the front big enough to have a smoke on the chairs?

Edit: should have said will my Riva 1100 fit as obviously I’ll have packed in the fags by then 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘wearing a helmet on the slopes…’ is closed to new replies.