Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wear on Monarch rt3 already?
  • windysurfer
    Free Member

Whilst doing a couple of jobs on my bike today I notice loads of wear of the shaft of my monarch rear shock.
    Bike is not 12 months old yet and hasn’t had enough use for the shock to require a service (I don’t think)It’s not leaking any but it loooks like it will only be a matter of time before it does.

Is this a know issue on these shocks or am I unlucky.I’m hoping it will be a warranty job, what do you think?

kimbers

Monarchs don’t have the best sealing ime, fox way better (tho pikes seem much better than my old fox)

warpcow
    Free Member

RS say it should be serviced every 100hrs or annually. I did the air-can on mine (6 months old, used fairly regularly) the other day and it was clean, but quite dry, inside.

windysurfer
    Free Member

so it isn’t due it’s first service and it’s already knackered.

benpinnick

Definitely not a common issue. Send it back.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Definitely not a common issue. Send it back.

That’s not as easy as it sounds.I bought the bike secondhand (of here as it happeneds)so I’m not sure who to send it back to?

Does it need to go via somebody like Loco or TFT or do I take it to my local Rockshox dealer or my local Whyte dealer?

Or is it not covered because I’m the second owner?

Rorschach
    Free Member

The latter.

plecostomus
    Free Member

No warranty as it is second hand.

poah
    Free Member

if the first owner is close then get him to send it back. how long have you had it for?

windysurfer
    Free Member

I’ve had it 3 months or so

poah
    Free Member

if you have the original recipt you should be able to get it sent back via a shop. do you know where it was bought?

pigyn
    Free Member

The 100hrs may be accurate for full servicing, but Monarch air cans need regular loving. Quick and easy to do, but it DOES need doing far more often than Fox air cans.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Yes I have original receipt so know where it was bought.
    I really wanted to know if it was a warranty job or not.
    I might send it to one of the suspension service tuning places and
    see what they say.If its down to wear and tear then I get service it myself and stop it getting any worse but I don’t want to open it up if its faulty

Northwind

How do you know how many hours previous owner put on it?

If that was mine, I’d service it and carry on tbh.

oddjob3000
    Free Member

I had a similar issue. It was due to the upper shock bush being too tight and caused the shock to bow when under compression. Hence the wear only being directly inline with the shock.
    I gave it Evans with my receipt (also secondhand) and they got it replaced through their suspension service place. Cost me a tenner for postage as i never bought off them.

windysurfer
    Free Member

How do you know how many hours previous owner put on it?

I don’t exactly but the ad stated he’d ridden it “a hand full of times” and the condition of the bike back this up as it was like it had never been ridden.

If that was mine, I’d service it and carry on tbh

That is plan B

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wear on Monarch rt3 already?’ is closed to new replies.