Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Weapons grade aluminium
  • bentandbroken

It’s in one of the banner adds.

Are any weapons made from aluminium or is it the ‘non essential’ bits? If its the later (as i suspect) what difference does it make (if indeed it any better than normal grade)?

camo16
    Free Member

Makes things appear more badass. Guys like badass.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As long as it’s murdered out.

somouk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if lightweight parts of weapons are made of aluminium things like bodies and housings but most of the hardwearing parts I doubt are aluminium.

compositepro
    Free Member

7068 which is now in the public domain was developed for ordanance casings its not much shy of 4130 in terms of strength and is a fair bit stronger than run of the mill 7075,

however its unlikely that diamond back will have made a bike out of it

camo16
    Free Member

Never mind the Al, WTF’s a knuckle box suspension platform?

bentandbroken

WTF’s a knuckle box suspension platform?

Somewhere to put your knuckle sandwich while being a badass getting ready to murder the trails?

nedrapier

ML8. c. 8. Spherical aluminium powder (CAS 7429-90-5) with a particle size of 60 µm or less, manufactured from material with an aluminium content of 99% or more;

Burny, innit?

Not much use on a bike, though.

Murray

See the Bradley Fighting Vehicle. Apparently they were quite burny

Moses

It prob means aerospace quality, assuming some aircraft are weapons.

d45yth
    Free Member

I think Scandium alloy was originally used by the Russians for missile heads…maybe similar stuff in the ad?

EDIT: Even this gun which uses a lot of aluminium, lists it as still being high grade aircraft aluminium.

The barrel is Chrome lined, cold hammer forged chromolybdenum steel. The upper & lower receiver are built from high grade aircraft aluminum.

bencooper
    Free Member

Is it like when people use MoD/military spec as a selling point? When all that means is usually “cheap and painted green with a NATO stock code” 😉

Northwind

I was shopping for a plane the other day, it said it was made with Ellsworth-grade aluminium. The grass is always greener.

toys19
    Free Member

I’m not sure weapons grade means anything, other than as an exaggeration. aircraft grade really refers to the quality. For example for aluminium skins on aircraft they are fully inspected by a scanner to looks for flaws (like little cracks), and anything that has a flaw over a certain size is rejected. Hence aircraft grade has a cert that says it has been scanned an is flaw free. This is really a fatigue reduction measure, it allows engineers to make certain assumptions about the life of the part if they know what maximum size flaws are present at the beginning of its service life.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not sure weapons grade means anything, other than as an exaggeration. aircraft grade really refers to the quality. For example for aluminium skins on aircraft they are fully inspected by a scanner to looks for flaws (like little cracks), and anything that has a flaw over a certain size is rejected. Hence aircraft grade has a cert that says it has been scanned an is flaw free. This is really a fatigue reduction measure, it allows engineers to make certain assumptions about the life of the part if they know what maximum size flaws are present at the beginning of its service life.

Yea, but really it just means that 6061 has been used somewhere on a plane.

toys19
    Free Member

Yea, but really it just means that 6061 has been used somewhere on a plane.

Yeah, but only if it has been scanned and certified, I don’t think you could get away with calling something aircraft grade if it was not scanned or certified.. (Well actually you probably could, but you bloodywell shouldn’t).

OK tighter definition – if you call something aircraft grade, and it is not, and you use it on an aircraft then you are in the shit.

bentandbroken

Nothwind –

I was shopping for a plane the other day

Fantastic sentence to casually drop in to a conversation!

nedrapier

Interestingly (perhaps), I was with a magnesium alloy producer on Wednesday, and they’re working on approval of a new alloy for use in the interior of civil aircraft.

Currently, magnesium is banned in the cabin due to its combustibility, despite being widely used jet engines from the very beginning.

P20

They used to advertise the Stumpjumper M2, stating it used to be aimed at Moscow

zokes
    Free Member

😆 @ northwind

antigee

there are obscure grades of aluminium used almost exclusively in missile applications and nuclear centrifuges – I found this out when a company where I was doing contract/commercial risk due diligence got raided by police, dti and customs for exporting without a license – probably ultimate destination being Iran thru very dubious third parties

made for a more interesting report than usual

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

They used to advertise the Stumpjumper M2, stating it used to be aimed at Moscow

I don’t remember that, but do remember this:

maccruiskeen

Sidney
    Free Member

Don’t they just steal weapons grade term from when there is talk of people getting their hands on nuclear material?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Weapons grade aluminium’ is closed to new replies.