• This topic has 51 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by lerk.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Weaning off the Trail Centres
  • ironnigel
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Satmap Active 10 for a few years and I love it! (Yes it has been superseded by the Active 12) It has a simple but sturdy bike mount, an easy, clear to read display, even in sunlight. The ‘trail up’ mode has the option to place your position towards the bottom of the screen which gives more of a view and makes more sense when engaged in higher speed activities like Mountain biking. Ruggedised cases are available if needed.
    I have the full UK 1:25000 HD map because I am a keen walker, climber and caver so the extra detail is useful to me. When I just had the 1:50000 I found it perfect for biking.
    One tip I can offer – set your waypoint before your planned turn, that way, after the screen goes into power save/off, and when the device beeps to let you know you are approaching a waypoint you simply wake the screen and you can see what is coming up instead of what you have just overshot.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Garmin industry leader for GPS. I use 1:50k OS. Great for using locals gpx to find the single track. Once your ploughing across the moors, note that the actual path may not follow the OS map exactly. I use mine as a guide. Then get my head up and select the trail.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not seen any single track marked on OS maps.

You’re looking at some different maps from me then.

craig24
    Free Member

mcnultycop – Garmin Etrex 20 is what you want. Takes AA batteries so its easy to carry spares. I use bikemap.net to draw out a route, or download someone else GPX files. Bike mounts are pennies off eBay, I picked up a used Etrex off here for about £70.

loddrik
    Free Member

Why would you want to wean off trail centres? What’s, erm, not to like…

mcnultycop

I was. Looking at the etrex Craig, cheers.

craig24
    Free Member

If you do get one, make sure you get the Garmin GB Discoverer 1:50k map for it. The map built in is pretty much unusable. The maps expensive from Garmin but they do pop up cheap on eBay, or you could get a copy of someone else’s 😉

mcnultycop

Cheers again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some slightly different advice….
    Take friends (especially if one can read a map)
    Go for some of the magazine rides – they have a description of the ride which helps
    Allow plenty of time
    Take food

wwaswas – Member
    I find the best bet is just to have a vague idea of where you’re going and head in that direction and pick up trails as you come across them. I tend not to worry about differentiating footpaths and bridleways, though.

Fun but probably a big chance of the wrong valley problem…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Contacting locals is a good shout. I recently posted up on here as I was staying in brighouse and two chaps took me out. I have previously warned my children about meeting strangers off the Internet though 😆
    So if you’re ever in Derbyshire offer is there…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Ask the locals if they are up for showing you you their natural trails.

lerk
    Free Member

Buy your local OS map (assuming you’re not in the middle of a city – if you are, then maybe try a map of the area around your local trail centre) and go for a ride, trying to find different ROWs that you’ve never ridden before.

Really helps to build confidence in your navigation skills knowing that you’re not really that far out of the way if you get it all wrong.

I’ve made some great local loops* by just drawing an imaginary line on the map and heading out.

Oh, and if you’re new to reading maps and route planning – mark yourself a bit of string up to scale so you can get an accurate route length. It’s very easy to look at a route and underestimate – leaving you knackered in the middle of nowhere!

*OK I’ve also ended up wading through knee deep cowshit and shoulder high nettles too – but it’s all part of the adventure.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Weaning off the Trail Centres’ is closed to new replies.