Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Weak Wrist / Wrist Brace
  • slowboydickie

Went to the physio today to improve the back posture while cycling and I mentioned painful wrists in passing and he manipulated them and his face showed dismay and he recommended I see someone pretty quick, something about the amount of play i.e. my hand can be displaced 1cm either side of wrist.

Cue myriad of fears about not being able to ride again, particiularly as I am just ramping up cycling toward SDW attempt. Has anyone heard of a proper wrist brace that would bypass the wrist with any stressors? My father has a knee brace that was custom made to support his knee during skiing. I plan to ask him but has anyone heard of such a thing for wrists?

Cheers
    Rich

wl
    Free Member

Admittedly I know nothing about anatomy, but this sounds bloody weird to me. I’d be seeking a second opinion, I reckon.

pussywillow
    Free Member

Try work harder on the vinegar strokes, has deffo worked in helping keep my wrists stronger, I now have arms like Popeye! 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevomcd
    Free Member

I damaged wrist tendons a few years back (making an ar$e of a drop in the Pila bike park). It took ages to heal and I ended up guiding the whole of the following summer wearing a wrist brace from a French pharmacy. It was prescribed by a physio to immobilise the joint in daily life in order to let the tendons heal, but it worked well on the bike too and wasn’t too restrictive. Had a metal strip running down the thumb, heel of hand, then wrist, so was pretty robust.

slowboydickie

Sounds just what I might need. The brace, not the vinegar strokes…

Wondering it it could be to do with the increased time and hand position on a road bike, going from nothing to 4 hours twice a week as I commute to London. Wouldn’t have thought this would be the case, though, because so may people ride road bikes and never heard this before.

richpips
    Free Member

I was given a brace similar to this by the NHS when I broke my arm near the wrist a month ago.

I ride my bike wearing it, but you’ll have to experiment bending the ally to fit your riding position.

meiklebike
    Free Member

I damaged my wrists with martial arts rsi. it hurt like hell on the mtb especially after a further over the bars arm to ground experience. once the inflamation went (it too a couple of month) I started kettle bell training light to medium heavy. pain has totally gone now!

meiklebike
    Free Member

prior to that the neoprene wrist bands did allow me to continue riding

big_n_daft
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-wrist-wrap-pro-2013/rp-prod45071

there is nothing on the palm, so grip unaffected

TiRed

Ergon grips? Might help keep the wrist aligned.

onehundredthidiot

I ride mtb with the 661 b’n’d links to. Keeps everything together although when things get sideways I do focus on how I’m going to crash so as to protect me wrist.

cloudnine
    Free Member

1cm play in your wrist bearings…. Are they still under warranty?

osteo1
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy-lee-designs-ws-5205-wrist/rp-prod59946
    This!
    brilliant wrist brace I had to use it in the Alps recently due to a work related wrist injury (ironic considering I’m an Osteopath) had no issues with it has removable bracing components to lessen the stiffness as your wrist gets better.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Check out the Bioskin wrist braces, they’re the best ones I have ever used, light weight, thin, not all that sweaty and can be worn under your normal gloves.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Weak Wrist / Wrist Brace’ is closed to new replies.