• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rj.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Weak Hamstrings.
  • Smee
    Free Member

Anyone else got trouble with their hamstrings? Despite me getting fitter, my hamstrings are getting weaker.

Any ideas?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

what do you mean weaker? more injury prone or less good at pedalling?

managed to tweak one of mine in a crash today. should probably have stretched more.

scaredypants

I reckon you mean shorter, not weaker

stretch more, as plums said

duckers
    Free Member

I bet they are getting tighter rather than weaker, do more stretching. I have always had tight ham's and have decided recently that I am going to fix it with loads of stretching, after 4 weeks of it my legs and lower back seem much more flexible except for on a morning when all of me creaks like an old man!!

Smee
    Free Member

No, they are most definitely getting weaker. Flexibility is not an issue.

scaredypants

well then you need to cross-train or improve your pedalling technique

iainc

try some swimming

crikey
    Free Member

How can you tell your hamstrings are getting weaker?

Dasha
    Free Member

What activity leads you to believe that your hamstrings are weaker and against what measure?

Smee
    Free Member

Because I can lift half the weight with them than I used to be able to.

crikey
    Free Member

Your hamstrings are tendons/ligaments, so they don't get weaker or stronger in any sensible sense. If you can't lift as much it's a muscle problem, so work the muscles…

Smee
    Free Member

Eh?

Smee
    Free Member

By eh, I mean that the hamstrings refer to a group of 4 muscles: Biceps femorus – both, semitendonosus, and semimembranosus. So WTF are you talking about?

crikey
    Free Member

I'm saying that your hamstrings traditionally are thought of as the tendons that run behind the knee. I know they are really muscles, and I'm also saying that if you can't lift as much with said muscles, you need to work on them.

Smee
    Free Member

Crikey – I know what they are and how to fix them. If you read my question you'll see that I asked if anyone else had this problem.

Hamstrings have never been thought of as tendons.

crikey
    Free Member

The word ham originally referred to the fat and muscle behind the knee. String refers to tendons, and thus, the hamstrings are the string-like tendons felt on either side of the back of the knee.

I've always thought of them as tendons, rather than muscles.

Dasha
    Free Member

To retain anything other than your natural strength the body has a use it or lose it function. If you are regularly lifting in terms of isolating your hams and your strength is diminishing then you're over training, not eating enough or you've got some pernicious muscle wasting disease and should spend your time enjoying the physicality you have left 😯

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have a look at photos of cyclists. With the exception of the track sprint meathead variety cyclists have crap hamstrings. Crikey doesn't even have hamstrings. He just has tendons!

Less cycling more deadlifts. Assuming you've been doing less deadlifts and more cycling recently of course.

rj
    Free Member

1 leg squats, calf raises.

Would that be rocket science?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Weak Hamstrings.’ is closed to new replies.