Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • we will remember them
  • notlocal
    Free Member

Off to my local cenotaph for 11, anyone else?

Alpha1653

Me too, suited and booted, to remember friends and colleagues who haven’t come back, those who have been injured, those who are currently deployed, and those who will deploy in the future. And importantly, to remember the families of those who serve.

Ill be wearing my poppy and Regimental tie with immense pride. I hope everyone else will too.

sbd16v
    Free Member

Yep im sat in uniform waiting to march out onto plymouth cenotaph

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Poppy on. I’m on call, but will be ignoring any incoming calls at 11. The only other person working here today is ex-RGJ so he’ll be doing the same.

My parents have been selling poppies for the past week or two, only one negative reaction…an Iranian fellow who accused my dad of being ‘a murderer’.

grum
    Free Member

Me too, suited and booted, to remember friends and colleagues who haven’t come back, those who have been injured, those who are currently deployed, and those who will deploy in the future. And importantly, to remember the families of those who serve.

I guess I’ll get slated for this, but why is Remembrance Day only about remembering those in the armed forces and their families, not civilians?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My local Cenotaph is the Cenotaph, so gets rather busy.

Will be at another, smaller memorial in town for 1100. Then a stroll to the Field of Remembrance at Westminster later on.

patriotpro
    Free Member

bravohotel8er – Member
    My parents have been selling poppies for the past week or two, only one negative reaction…an Iranian fellow who accused my dad of being ‘a murderer’.

I trust your parents were suitably defended by the public? Hope so anyway.

mtbfix

I guess I’ll get slated for this, but why is Remembrance Day only about remembering those in the armed forces and their families, not civilians?

Not by me you won’t. Stats suggest that serving in Afghanistan is about as dangerous as working on a farm in terms of deaths per annum. Cannot recall when last our local high street was closed to remember the farmers who died putting food on our tables.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member

bravohotel8er – Member

I trust your parents were suitably defended by the public? Hope so anyway.

Yes, passers-by objected to the gentleman’s remark with some rather ‘robust’ comments!

Alpha1653

Fair point Grum and not unreasonable. Remembrance Day is about remembering those who have given their lives in conflict and that means predominantly the Armed Forces. But it would be callous to disregard the contribution of civilians.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

mtbfix – Member

Not by me you won’t. Stats suggest that serving in Afghanistan is about as dangerous as working on a farm in terms of deaths per annum. Cannot recall when last our local high street was closed to remember the farmers who died putting food on our tables.

If you cannot see the difference between the two then you won’t possibly understand any explanation.

We’re fortunate enough to live in a country where we’re able (within reason) to say what we like, however sometimes it’s probably for the best if we don’t bother.

patriotpro
    Free Member

mtbfix – Member

Start another thread if you want a remembrance day for farmers as this is not the one. ➡

patriotpro
    Free Member

bravohotel8er – Member
    patriotpro – Member
    bravohotel8er – Member

Yes, passers-by objected to the gentleman’s remark with some rather ‘robust’ comments!

Good 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Start another thread if you want a remembrance day for farmers as this is not the one

Why? Are their lives less important?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

zokes – Member

Start another thread if you want a remembrance day for farmers as this is not the one

Why? Are their lives less important?

Look over your shoulder. You may be able to see the point somewhere in the middle distance.

mikey74
    Free Member

Whilst I agree that others who have died are also worthy of commemoration, the purpose of this day is not to remember everyone who has ever died, in the history of the world, it is to remember those who have lost their lives whilst serving their country in conflicts here at home and around the world.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do we remember the enemy combatants too? (who after all were sometimes “right”) How far back do we go in our remembrance? Only sometimes it seems that anything before the Great War doesn’t really matter.

zokes
    Free Member

it is to remember those who have lost their lives whilst serving their country in conflicts here at home and around the world.

As opposed to those minding their own business whilst being killed by those serving someone else’s country?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

I’m just not sure how i feel about remembrance day any more…. the hypocrisy of warmongering politicians laying wreaths while their bank accounts fill with money from arms dealing is just too much.

i will stand in silence for those who gave everything to defend this country when it was under attack, for their bravery and selflessness as i always do.

but there is certainly conflict within me about it when i consider the motivations of the more recent conflicts such as Iraq, where our country illegally attacked another, for financial profit at the cost of so many thousands of civilian lives

maybe this isn’t a day to consider the politics of our forign policy but then again maybe this is exactly the day to do that, for surely this is a day for remembering just how terrible war really is, and for encouraging a stop to armed conflicts

Edukator
    Free Member

Just got back. There were a few people hanging around but it appears the main ceremony is later. Don’t they have watches?

trailmonkey

*edit* re – posted on t’other thread

zippykona

Look beyond the nationalism,poor sods have been killed , maimed and living in fear on duty through no fault of their own. Remember the individuals.
    Theres a soldier who lost 3 limbs and lives in a tower block. Lets hope his life is made a bit easier through funds raised.

Jamie
    Free Member

I wonder whether Mr T. Blair asked for an appearance fee?

pingu66
    Free Member

I was helping to clean a local cenotaph yesterday, leaves etc and had to explain to several of the helpers what Rememberance Day was. I was astonished they didn’t know.

I will remember the fallen.

@jonah tonto I understand exactly where you are coming frm but its the soldiers we are remebering not the plitocians. These guys made huge and often the ultimate sacrifice in many cases defending us. Occasionally such as Iraq in an illegal war but that does not prevent us remebering those doing their jobs for us. Its a shame that the politicians didn.t do theirs.

I won’t poat my thoughts on the Iraq war as itts abut remembering our heros today.

Kit
    Free Member

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Very pleased that we still know how to conduct Remembrance day with dignity and that we stop to remember all those who suffered in combat. Long may it continue.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i hope my comment hasn’t caused offence, i was just voicing my internal conflict. i do have great respect for those we are remembering today.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think we all feel that conflict jonah..

What we chose to do with those negative emotions is what defines us..

Do we let them fester & burn & grow to a point at which they dictate our actions?

Or do we chose to let them go on this day & instead concentrate on those feelings, that though sad, ultimately are more positive & constructive..

I wear my poppy with pride.

pingu66
    Free Member

Well said mrlebowski. I don’t think anyone took offence Jonah

Coyote
    Free Member

There are some ***** on here Jonah. You are not one of them.

Alpha1653

It’s important to remember that the Armed Forces are apolitical and serve the Queen, not Parliament. Remembrance Day isn’t about glorifying or legitimising any conflict – all those who have seen it first hand know how dirty and horrendous it is. Today’s about remembering those who have selflessly offered themselves to serve and protect this country.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

The only statement that should be made through remembrance should be along the lines of, “Thanks for everything you did”.

People can make their political statments some other time.

Scamper
    Free Member

Went to the service at QE hospital, birmingham. The names of those who in the last 12 months were flown back but passed away there were read out. It was a morning for remembering; no chest beating or high jacking as some seem to think. My partner is one of several hundred medical personnel stationed there, who also spend their time serving the public on the wards

dannyh
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d be brave enough to fight in a war – I might be, but I hope I never get the chance to find out.

Other people are – and a lot of them have been damaged and killed – I owe a debt of gratitude.

I don’t much care for the political points on rememberance day – the rights and wrongs of Bomber Command in WWII for example – because that’s not what it should be about. Those discussions are for another day.

They had a veteran on the BBC remembrance programme last night who’d flown 60 missions over occupied Europe in WWII, more than likely by them time he was ten years younger than me now. God only knows what he saw, felt and has lived with since.

DezB
    Free Member

Was at my son’s rugby club. They got all the kids in a big circle for the 2 minutes silence. Was quite moving.
    I used to have very negative feelings about the rememberance – those who should remember – the war mongering politicians, never learn the lessons of the past, so we remember those who fight their wars for them.

igrf
    Free Member

I didn’t go this year, first time in a long while, no real reason, I didn’t buy a poppy either, there’s still one attached to my car from last year.

That said it and it generally wasn’t a reaction to what I’d describe as extreme mawkish behaviour by ‘slebs’ and anyone remotely in the public eye, with whom I’ve no wish to identify, I still have a couple of moments to myself reflecting on what all those folks who gave their lives in the two defensive conflicts would think about the way things have turned out.

The bomber boys will no doubt be pleased they got a memorial at last but would probably wonder why it took so long and how the money had to be raised.

noteeth
    Free Member

We managed to organise a two minute silence on a busy surgical admissions ward.

Fair number of old war veterans among the patients – it was an honour to look after ’em.

hammyuk
    Free Member

It is an honor to show respect to all who have gone before and still go where most won’t or don’t want to.
    It boils my p*ss when people don’t or won’t show that respect.
    I wonder how many of the keyboard warriors on the “other” thread would mouth off the same faced with some of those veterans and their families :-/
    I’ve lost count of the school friends, acquaintances, friends, family and comrades that are no longer around and they will never be forgotten.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Wasn’t at a remembrance service, but made sure I marked it whilst out

11 Nov 2012 13:42 by gary_foulger, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘we will remember them’ is closed to new replies.