Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • We were rad to the power of gnarl (honest!) … aint biking brilliant :)
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Fan-bleedin-tastic day out biking above Conwy mountain and over towards the Carneddi. Proper big mountain day – wet, muddy, slippy slidey fun. Steep climbs, fast descents, rocky jumps, stunning views and brilliant sunshine.

Total shred-fest* – we were such gnarly dudes* … actually we were three girls who should by now have grown up and know better. But my wheels left the ground on more than one occassion (and I stayed on my bike on landing!), and we whooped, raced, and cheered.

Returned hours later splattered in mud with shit-eating grins … not bad for 3 women in their forties 🙂 Decided that we never want to behave in manner that is supposedly appropriate to our age and gender.

So, how rad (at least in your own minds!) were you guys this weekend?

*terminology that we don’t really ‘get’ but understand its what’s down with the ‘yuff’ of today …

mamadirt
    Free Member

Not very rad at all – my bike’s burgered 😥 but have a hi-five anyway . . . sounds like you had a great day!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Good on ya Sue,great your into “proper” mountainbiking and not shreddin trail centres every weekend.. 🙄

Vortexracing

Was a quick blast round Rivvy for me, but next weekend is a weekend at the mother in Laws van at Aberconwy, so a biggy up Conwy Mountain for us. (May even throw in Drum)

I hope you have left it in a decent state and not rutted it with all that Knarl.

and just for your info Sue, you never have to grow up, it’s the law 😉

oh and where is Carneddi?

wwaswas

I avoided gnarl in favour of a longish xc ride on my SS last night.

Being the only person out at 7pm on a Saturday night felt quite good. It was great to have my first ride for weeks where I didn’t hit the deck at some point too.

ww (45 and still enjoying getting muddy on bicycles)

fenred
    Free Member

I was wayyyyyy more Rad than you Sue, I had my girls this wkend and I ‘played out the front’. I did follow the leader, riding off of kurbs, skidz and a 3″ wheelie which I held up for 2 seconds….therefore I win!! 😀

Sue_W
    Free Member

vortexracing – don’t worry, we didn’t ‘shred’ it that hard 😉 Oh, and Drum’s in the Carneddi – it’s the mountain range that starts from around Tal Y Fan and heads towards Bethesda.

fenred – you da man!

mama dirt – I thought you had a whole stable full of bikes? Bummer that you’re currently wheel-less, but high-five back atcha 🙂

jedi

bike riding rocks! 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

I had a super gnarly demo ride on a Santa Cruz Tallboy yesterday, the wheels didn’t even explode or anything.

Kevevs
    Free Member

woop! sounds like a great positive bikey day out! at least I have a mountain bike left 😀

Vortexracing

Cheers Sue, seeing as I’ve been riding round there for 8 years on and off I never knew the name of the range 😳

did you go up via Sychnant Pass and along towards Drum that way?

Trekster

Decided that we never want to behave in manner that is supposedly appropriate to our age and gender.

So, how rad (at least in your own minds!) were you guys this weekend?
    As someone rapidly heading towards retirement age I to had that silly, muddy grin after a blast round most of Ae yesterday afternoon with 2 mates a good few yrs younger than(one younger than my son!!)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I was cheered by a bunch of yutes dem for doing a little hip-jump in Epping Forest. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

proper gnar on the cycle path with my kids today …they are proper MTB ers though as they stop regularly to fuel up on jelly beans

handyman
    Free Member

Excellent, i too was a little rad yesterday doing our 90 min loop which invovles at least one ” look straight aheaddo not look at the slighty lonnng drop to your left’ whilst riding downhill on a 2ft wide rocky path which last only 60ft but you need TOTAL focus and there is a couple of 2ft step ups which with speed and luck can be cleared, it is a great way to spend a sat morning and we had time to “session” a steep rocky rooty climb which i have yet to clear gave it 3 goes maybe next time and rockshox reverb posts are great

mamadirt
    Free Member

mama dirt – I thought you had a whole stable full of bikes?

Yeah, I guess it appears that way Sue but I only ever own one at a time honest 😆 .

oliverd1981
    Free Member

*fistbumps all round*

iridebikes
    Free Member

i spent a scary day on saturday riding dh with the youth and juvenile national champs. Its scary how fast 14 and 17 year olds are! had some very near misses. then i went for a little xc ride on my dj/4x/mess around bike today. nothing knarky happened there. I scared myself more going climbing later on.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Good grin after yesterdays ride at Ae. First ride with other people for months, one who is apparently closing in on retirement age. I wouldn’t say we were shredding it to the rad, but it was a good chilled ride…cheers Trekster

Sue_W
    Free Member

vortexracing – bit difficult to explain where we went as it’s such a maze of trails up there, but roughly half way up Conwy mtn, cross over the pass below the top, and head around Caen Maen Amor, then contour to the south of Tal y Fan (tried exploring to the north of there but it’s really boggy!). Have riding up there next weekend 🙂

Dickyboy

Group of us rode Aston Hill for the first time (just the XC course mind) provided a lot of entertainment to some of the DH boys as we crashed one after the other on the short boarded section – think we’ll wait till its dry again before going back, but still had a great laugh – average age 45+ & with a right motley collection of bikes too 🙂

devs
    Free Member

I cycled 15km in the dark in a very scary forest on a super jey 29er XC bike and then threw it down a DH run, solo, in the dark on very jey XC tyres. I even sent it over a couple of jumps. I then rode 17km or so back through the very scary forest, solo, in the dark on said jey 29er bike. I loves my new Tallboy!

Vortexracing

Cheers for that Suw, know exactly where you are, thats the way I tend to wander as well.

looking fwd to next week.

do you fancy joining us llos like there will be 5 – 6 of us inc Jo off here?

Sue_W
    Free Member

@ vortexracing – many thanks for the offer (not sure who Jo is though?). I’m out leading a group from my mountaineering club on one day this coming weekend, so it might depend which day you’re heading out?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    Sue_W
    Free Member

TJ – absolutely 🙂 been behaving inappropriately all my life, so I suspect getting older isn’t going to stop me! Far too much fun still to be had …

Vortexracing

Sunday I think,

Penmachno loops 1 and 2 in the Dark Saturday PM and into the evening. To the caravan for a shower and clean up, then to the Old White House for some grub and beers.

Sunday will either be up Conwy mountain or Capel Curig.

Jo is a lady/girl/woman (delete as appropriate) 😆 who rides with us and has been on quite a few STW rides.

Wanted to point out that it wasn’t just blokes, thats all.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can’t quite see Sue in purple, not sure if it’s her colour.

What I can tell you is that she is incorrigible though. 😐

As are CinnamonGirl, MamaDirt, Karinofnine and quite a few other STW ladies I’ve met.

And quite frankly, I woon’t want it any other way. 😀

Sue_W
    Free Member

Yey! I’m mountaineering on the Sat, so around for biking on the Sunday (as long as my legs still function and I haven’t fallen of a cliff …)

Ah, just found your e-mail in your profile – will drop you a line

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘We were rad to the power of gnarl (honest!) … aint biking brilliant :)’ is closed to new replies.