Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • We were humbled today
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So me and Stone went to the quarry this sunny morning to @rse about, ragged around the galleries a bit, I’m in terrible form at the mo – really mincing even small drops and lips. We ended up at the mini DH track (which we can cope with) near the shore (which we can’t). We both enjoy gawping at the shore in between runs where we roll tabletops and gibber around the berms.

After a bit, some kids, 10-15 yrs, turned up on really tatty old mountain bikes and proceeded to ride all the shore – little sh1ts. We got chatting with the 15yr old riding a 10yr old univega with an ancient coil shock, v-brakes, bald tyres and a virtually seized suntour fork. He excused himself suddenly and then we saw him screaming down the DH straight into an enormous shore jump ramp, airborne about 15ft vert, and plummet into the drop behind! He ambled back and we began worship. He apologised for his twitching foot – happens every time he hits big air, apparently.

Humbled, us old lags humbly retired to some obscure singletrack in the back of the wood where we belonged. We seriously regret spending so much time reading books as a kids.

jam-bo

its not that hard, you’ve just got the fear….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Oh yes, the fear!

It makes it very hard

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I used to be pretty good on a BMX back in the day, I spent virtually my entire youth at Harrow skate park, I used to be able to jump from the snake into the halfpipe & jump the fence to flat (8-10′ ?) I went back in the summer when they said it was going to close for good, I couldn’t do jack, fear is to be feared, breaking a collarbone when you are 15-16 is very different to when you are 38 & have a family to support!
    Respect to the old boys still doing their thing (you know who you are) but for me it was just to much risk.
    /jeyboy mode

loddrik
    Free Member

Jumps and dh are for kids anyway. They heal quicker…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Fond memories of as good as I got last year

Shame the fear got me big time.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I just put it down to being nearly 40 and I’ve grown up a bit!

Of course, I appear to have had bigger balls in my youth

tomlevell

Kids tend to be slow on singletrack, even if they have all the jump and style skills, so humiliate them there. It’s ok to humiliate 15 year olds when your over 30 right?

:0)

rOcKeTdOg

i struggled on the little drop, this kid was about 8!

Tonylem
    Free Member

ah, Glentress, that big one is good fun in the dark!

caledonia
    Free Member

OK – Tell me now – where in GT is that !?!?
    I always woose out and head for the Red Run, but I wan’t to play a little more, I just don’t want to ‘drop in’ to the bigger stuff by mistake and have to change my kecks at the first drop !

Tonylem
    Free Member

Its in the freeride park at the Buzzards Nest car park (the very top one). You actually pass it as you do the red or black routes.

rOcKeTdOg

show off centre though

caledonia
    Free Member

Yeah – but I thought that had the mahoosive Wall ride and stuff now ?
    Or is there an easier one ?
    I think I may be missing something !

Tonylem
    Free Member
    rOcKeTdOg

why is it shut?

Tonylem
    Free Member

Something to do with risk assessments or some such paperwork not being done properly. Closed for the forseeable future:(
    Don’t know if there were any accidents on it but it was only open for a few weeks.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I can’t jump for sh1t but My 8 year old godson

I am not much better at photo editing

sometimerider
    Free Member

Glentress freeride has a load of options. That run does have the wallride, but you don’t have to do it, you can just ride the berm at the bottom.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sheesh your godson is damn impressive.

Some comforting remarks.

Teens get a lot abuse in the media, but these freeride kids seemed really cool actually.

jedi

you never grow old til you stop!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Quite possibly the worst photoshopping ever! But it made me larf.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Almost as bad as this:

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘We were humbled today’ is closed to new replies.