• This topic has 46 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mttm.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • We have reached Peak LED
  • bails

Michael Mason was killed when a woman drove her car into the back of him on a well lit street in central London.

The Met’s view of it included the line:

Mr Mason was displaying lights on the bicycle but these lights could easily be lost to a drivers sight in a busy central London Road in the dark where there are numerous other lights displayed.

TiRed

There’s no need to look like a freaking funfair ride

Well if you ride a trike that looks like it came from one, you may as well 😉

Road bike always has two lights; one steady and one flashing. For redundancy. Both Cateye Rapid minis, which are great lights.

Trike has three lights, two steady (normally the minis) and one flashing (Cateye TLD-650) on a rear rack. Plus a fenderbot back up mounted on the rear mudguard.

For those with one light, do you check it is still working? I see a lot of very dim rear lights on my rides.

EDIT: And I ride with lights on the trike in daylight, along with a front flashing Joystick, because it is low and I need to be seen.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Met’s view of it included the line:

Re the Met’s view of that case. And a follow up on the CTC site.

benp1

One flashing and one constant is a good approach. Although on the front I’m often one pulsing one constant. Sometimes I running three front and back (if I wear a jacket with lights on)

I like having a helmet light, also good for lorries/tall vehicles as you’re more in line with their view

tomaso
    Free Member

I am fortunate to commute on a shared path cyclists and pedestrians and only do about 5% on the road. In relative terms its benign to what I hace had to face in inner city areas.
    However the other week the not uncommon experience of being totally dazzled and blinded by a very bright LED head light meant that I just could not see what was coming afterwards. I slowed down fortunately but a sort of rolling chicane of pedestrians followed and tucked in behind the cyclist with the blinding light was their kid on alike whose lights and form were totally obscured. It could’ve resulted in a nasty accident.
    In Germany I believe that front lights have to be dipped and the light lens is made to facilitate this.

sobriety
    Free Member

Maybe bike shoes should have reflective heels

My old sidi’s do.

mttm
    Free Member

Two on the front and two on the back, one flashing, one constant. I have had a rear lamp fail more than once, so would never run just one.

My wife bought me one of those Proviz coats last year. Only just started using it. Bloody Hell, it generates some respect / space. I use a lot of unlit country lanes on my commute, and I’ve had repeated instances of cars pulling over and stopping to let me through. This has never happened before! Unfortunately, it has the breathability of a bin bag, so can only be used below about 5 degrees. But I’ve started to feel under dressed at night without it.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘We have reached Peak LED’ is closed to new replies.