Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • We have one of those boiling water taps at work…
  • RobHilton
    Free Member

That woman is cleverer than you will ever know, if i could still use a kettle at work i would.

She’s a fool, I really shouldn’t have to explain why, but… There is at least some rather hot water available; stick that in the kettle + some cold = cleverer.

Kryton57

Quooker here. Fills my Aeropress and pan for poached eggs perfectly, what else could you want?

RobHilton
    Free Member

what else could you want?

A bj world peace

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Qooker here too. Definately comes out at 100 degs as it comes out with steam, so a bit of a give away. I believe the temp of the water in The heating flask is higher than boiling as it’s under pressure. One of the best gadgets I’ve bought Kettles are so lame so worth ditching the engineered wood floor for laminate to afford it when we did our extension. Mines 2 years old now and my dads had one for several years more so bullet proof reliability. No scale as scale occurs as the water cools on a heating element.

nealglover
    Free Member

I have a 5 litre kettle how many do you want? 20 minutes to tea mind.

Pah! Our instant tap at work has an 11 litre tank.

So there. 😆

MrSmith
    Free Member

Filling an aeropress directly for one means burnt coffee, should be 93° for coffee brewing.
    I would use a kettle and let it come off the boil or set it to a lower temp and annoy the tea drinkers.

IHN

No scale as scale occurs as the water cools on a heating element.

I did not know that. Every day is a school day.

Kryton57

Filling an aeropress directly for one means burnt coffee, should be 93° for coffee brewing.
    I would use a kettle and let it come off the boil or set it to a lower temp and annoy the tea drinkers.

Unless you carefully moderate by adding the bit of warm water sitting in the tap/pipe before the boiling water is sucked through and added at a ratio of about 40/60…

Drac

I thought it was 80°?

grumpysculler
    Free Member

We have a hot water tap at work. It comes out at 90 degrees and blind tasting shows that the tea tastes crap.

So we use the hot water to fill the kettle.

Mostly use a one cup thing at home – that works fine.

No limescale problems because we are in Scotland where our water isn’t minging.

Cougar

As I recall, perfect tea is made with water at lower than 100 degrees, anyway…

Depends on the tea.

Not according to the engineer who services ours.

GrahamS

We have one of the boiler taps. Almost every time I use it there is someone stood blankly waiting for a completely full kettle to boil so they can fill one cup. 🙄

The “But it tastes different” argument doesn’t really stand up either, as we all use the same disgusting instant “coffee” granules that one of the secretaries buys in bulk from the local cash-and-carry.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Not according to the engineer who services ours.

The solubility of salts in water increases with increasing temperature. As you heat the water in a kettle some of it will evaporate leaving a slightly higher concentration of salts in the water that will probably stay in solution as a result of the higher temperature. As the water cools it will reach a point where some of the salts must come out of solution so they will form on the inside of the kettle. That’s one mechanism for the deposition of the salts although there may be others.

Thankfully, like grumpysculler, I live in Scotland too so it’s kind of a moot point for us.

nealglover
    Free Member

We have a hot water tap at work. It comes out at 90 degrees and blind tasting shows that the tea tastes crap

It would do. Get a proper one, that’s just a hot water tap.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Quooker here too. the one appliance I will take with me when we move.

Houns

They are ok until you use one to wash your hands under at 4am on nights

nealglover
    Free Member

They are ok until you use one to wash your hands…

“hand” presumably? As the other one would be on the switch 😉

Houns

One we had in work could lock on

nealglover
    Free Member

Same here actually, but you have to sort of “try” to do it, not just press the button and let go.

Sandwich

The “But it tastes different” argument doesn’t really stand up either, as we all use the same disgusting instant “coffee” granules that one of the secretaries buys in bulk from the local cash-and-carry.

Third world conditions, you’ll be needing a new job/union assistance to address the inhuman conditions.

simondbarnes

Anyway, apparently the best way to make tea in in a microwave

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-11/microwaving-tea-the-best-way-to-brew/8433986

Cougar

As the water cools it will reach a point where some of the salts must come out of solution so they will form on the inside of the kettle. That’s one mechanism for the deposition of the salts although there may be others.

I’m not disputing the science, rather offering the views of a man who takes them to bits when they’re fecked.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The solubility of salts in water increases with increasing temperature. As you heat the water in a kettle some of it will evaporate leaving a slightly higher concentration of salts in the water that will probably stay in solution as a result of the higher temperature. As the water cools it will reach a point where some of the salts must come out of solution so they will form on the inside of the kettle. That’s one mechanism for the deposition of the salts although there may be others.

Could it not be the more obvious explanation that as water boils it turns to steam leaving the salt behind.

Water in a kettle boils producing steam. Thus it scales up.

Water in the tap sits at 99C not boiling so doesn’t scale up.

I dont think your explanation stacks up otherwise youd only get scale in extremely hard water near saturated with salts and everyone else would need to boil off the entire kettle to see any.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘We have one of those boiling water taps at work…’ is closed to new replies.