Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • We have no idea how lucky we are
  • grumm
    Free Member

About 25,000 people die every day of hunger or hunger-related causes, according to the United Nations.

http://www.poverty.com/

Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day.

http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

To be among the richest 10% of adults in the world required $61,000 in assets

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-12/unu-pss120106.php

Anyone here have $61,000 in assets – say a house or part of it? Congratulations you are in the richest 10% in the world.

And yet so many people spend so much time whining about how terrible it is here. Yes there are problems and we shouldn’t just accept them, but people seriously need to get a sense of perspective.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Here here. Well said.

Stoner
    Free Member

but people seriously need to get a sense of perspective

but at what scale of perspective?

Do you seriously suggets that our duty is to carry guilt on a global scale around with us at all times?

I agree, petty complaints about drivel takes self-absorption to new levels on here sometimes, but equally I dont hold with the idea that every aspect of your life should be compared with the bottom of the pile. There ar 6 billion in the world, there’s a pretty good chance that one of them is going to be worse off than you – it doesnt mean you have to dig out the birches and whip yourself about it.

grumm
    Free Member

Never said we should feel guilty, just appreciate what we’ve got.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Even if you have very little, it’s axiomatic that being grateful for what you’ve got is psychologically and by extension physiologically healthy. It’s also good for peer groups and wider society.

Entirely aside from comments about wealth, just enjoy what you can.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve been saying this for ages on here, every time some blinkered fool wails on about how it’s ‘all gone bad’, ‘country’s gone to the dogs’ or whatever.

Stoner; I don’t think anyone was suggesting you need to beat yourself up about it; why go on about birches and self-flagellation? Seems to be in your head more than it is elsewhere. Do you feel guilty?

‘Take a look at what you cooduv won’.

No thanks, I have no need for a speedboat. Load of hassle, tbh.

tops5
    Free Member

As I sit here preparing to put my posh Audi on Ebay and organise selling the house to find a cheaper one.

This thread does help to put things into perspective!

crikey
    Free Member

Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the
    world, I can’t help but cry. I mean I’d love to be skinny like that
    but not with all those flies and death and stuff.
    — Mariah Carey

Amen sister, Amen.

grumm
    Free Member

Haha, I wish that was a genuine quote. 😛

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘We have no idea how lucky we are’ is closed to new replies.