Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • We have never switched our energy suppliers. How much did you save?
  • dingabell
    Free Member

Have decided that it’s about time we switched our energy suppliers like the rest of the population.
    I have no idea what savings could be made?
    Would I be looking at maybe a 10-20 percent saving?

marcus7
    Free Member

About £250 a year last time although it gets harder the more you switch…

cheekyget
    Free Member

I switched to the sainsburys one….it said I saved £347 a year……….£347 towards my fatbike…lol

rocketman
    Free Member

We changed a couple fo years ago and after an unimaginable amount of faff we saved about £150

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

We switch ours but generally fix it for a set period and look for one with no exit fees so we can switch again if needed. To be honest, we save a couple of hundred pounds but it is still an unknown as everything is based on estimates. We also sign up for alerts so that if our current supplier or competitor flags up that we can save a certain amount a year then they tell us. This results in about 5 e.mails a month telling us that we can save a bit but to be honest we generally don’t bother as we would be forever changing. Is it worth it-probably every couple of years or so, depends how much effort you can be bothered to put in, which is probably why the energy companies are still laughing .

tomd
    Free Member

For us it was quite a lot, a few hundred a year. The previous occupant had just never changed from Scottish Power and we only have electric. Their electricity tariff was awful! That was about a year ago and I’ve checked since and the saving are next to nothing from switching.

So definitely check it out!

seadog101

Didn’t change supplier, but a different tariff saved us about 230 per year.

MoreCashThanDash

If you have never switched, then you can save a couple of hundred quid a year. We tend to switch to the best fixed rate tariffs every couple of years. Think last time we saved another £40 switching from NPower to Ovo earlier in the year, but the more you switch the more you get into diminishing returns. Below a £2 a month saving, I wouldn’t bother.

Only time we’ve ever had a problem switching was the first time after we bought the house, about 15 years ago. Mainly because our original supplier had changed the meter but not updated any records so the readings were wildly inaccurate at the changeover.

Luckily I worked for said supplier at the time. My job being to sort out disputed meter reads when people switched suppliers. Which was handy…. 🙄

ingwerfuchs
    Free Member

We’ve been with Scottish Power for 10 years having never switched. Currently paying £30 DD for gas and electric each month.
    None of the comparison sites ever suggest we can save money elsewhere so I’ve never bothered.
    Is it worth phoning other suppliers directly instead to see what they can do?
    For reference, two adults in a two bed mid-terraced house.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m with EDF – I switched tariffs with the same company and saved £30+ a month! bonkers.

dingabell
    Free Member

A couple of hundred quid sounds good to me.
    Do I just go for the cheapest one, or are there any real nightmare companies out there,?

bearGrease

Have a look at https://cheapenergyclub.moneysavingexpert.com, you just need the annual projection from your last bill to get the most accurate projection.

paulevans
    Free Member

Switched our gas and electric a month or two ago – savings based on last bill would equate to c.£400 over a year!!!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The previous occupant had just never changed from Scottish Power and we only have electric. Their electricity tariff was awful!

that, standard scottish power tariff was about £20 a month more than the first utility spangdangly-internet-only-deal-that-will-last-until-next-week-honest* tariff that we’re now on

*they now have another one just like it IIRC

we only have electric, at a previous place the saving was better when going from two suppliers for gas + elec, to a single supplier for both.

johndoh
    Free Member

Switch and do it via Quidco for even more £££££££££s

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

t via Quidco

oh yeah, definitely that.

and insurance of any sort.

MoreCashThanDash

Do I just go for the cheapest one, or are there any real nightmare companies out there,?

Check out customer satisfaction reports as well – we went with Ovo who were slightly more than the lowest price but kept getting rave reviews – and have been fine for us since we joined them

vorlich
    Free Member

£25 p/m moving to OVO dual fuel

bearGrease

Do I just go for the cheapest one,

The cheap energy club makes recommendation based of customer service, length of fix, etc as well as price.

real nightmare companies out there,?

NPower

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘We have never switched our energy suppliers. How much did you save?’ is closed to new replies.