Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • "We don't just ask what are my entitlements, but what are my responsibilities"
  • ourmaninthenorth

He hadn't even stepped through the door of No.10 and he was already invoking Thatcher.

In the words of John Laurie: We're doomed.

colnagokid

We've got to work harder to pay for tax cuts for the richest 1000 families in the UK, thats what everyone voted for right?
    And I hope we get to keep heredetary(sp) peers too

bassspine
    Free Member

it's OK there's no such thing as society

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I need to keep off the wine, I'm so Drunk, I've imagined that Cameron is PM, and Clegg, possibly deputy. Crazy, I know.

stuey
    Free Member

lol

igm

If you think that's bad we've just been catching up on old Dr Who – the one where Saxon / The Master gets to be prime minister.
    Strange echoes of this election.

colnagokid

Can we kill foxes yet?, I'm off to whip up the hounds!

speaker2animals

igm – sorry for a minute there I thought you said old Doctor Who.

aracer
    Free Member

I wonder how many of the lefties quoting that know or understand the context.

footflaps

what's their policy on slicing people's heads in two with helicopters whilst hunting foxes?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Understand it perfectly – its very clear and obvious what she meant.

speaker2animals

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask, what can I do for my country?

Still he changed the words and these days that is about as original as anything gets.

aracer
    Free Member

Understand it perfectly – its very clear and obvious what she meant.

I can believe you might do, but you weren't quoting it. In any case, what did she mean then if it's so obvious?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Was it a cryptic crossword clue?

bassspine
    Free Member

aracer – Member

I wonder how many of the lefties quoting that know or understand the context.

I do, do you?

amodicumofgnar

Can we kill foxes yet?, I'm off to whip up the hounds!

Fox farming and inheritance tax changes might be two things that get kicked into touch.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

"We don't just ask what are my entitlements, but what are my responsibilities"

"He hadn't even stepped through the door of No.10 and he was already invoking Thatcher. "

No he isn't that stupid !

He was trying to invoke Kennedy………a much wiser move :

"my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."
    John F. Kennedy

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, thanks. If you do know the context, why use the quote out of it (and the fact the thread title is paraphrased from the same speech doesn't add the context, whatever you might think)?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It would have been funnier if he'd likened himself to a hamburger.. 😉

binners

Being dole scum I'm taking Norman Tebbits advice and getting on my bike. I'm off to the home counties to train as a Master of Hounds. There's bound to be stacks of work soon

BillMC

He delivered it poorly and left an insufficient gap before saying 'what are my responsibilities' so it didn't work really. The man's a copyist, first Blair and now Kennedy.

speaker2animals

Yep as dole scum meself I REALLY hope I can get a job bloody soon. It's tough enough under labour. I dread the thought of what is going to happen.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

""I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

Seems pretty clear to me.
    Sort yourself out because the State will no longer help you. Sort out the old lady next door because the State will no longer help her.
    Do what we want and we 'might' just see our way to seeing if we can help in some nebulous future.

grumm
    Free Member

Wonder if all the people whinging about Gordon Brown being an unelected PM are going to be similarly angry about Cameron being an unelected PM?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

A someone working in manufacturing in a temp (agency) situation i dread to think what the Tories will do to what's left of our manufacturing base, after all they have SUCH a GREAT record of success in that area don't they…?

amodicumofgnar

Its more likely the newly climate aware tory will be ditching their quads for mountain bikes on the drag hunts so could always go for the job of quarry but its now likely to be an unpaid internship.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah no, it's "big society" now isn't it?

Hopefully it'll go the way of "Back to Basics".

Big society my f***ing arse. He wouldn't know society if it came up and bit his cock off. Anyway, when's he peeling the skin off?

A load of cars got vandalised on my street last night…I blame the prospect of a ConDem coalition.

scaredypants

dd – when's he peeling the skin off his cock, or your arse ? 😯

Free Member

Can I ask why all the focus on 'family values'? To me (and i'm the fcucked up one…) it [family values] doesn't seem quite so appropriate today as it once was. Is that just because i'm fcucked up and have an alternate slant on the world, or, is it really 2010 and the 2.4 children nuclear family is as prosperous today as it once was?

Junkyard
    Free Member

grum – Member
    Wonder if all the people whinging about Gordon Brown being an unelected PM are going to be similarly angry about Cameron being an unelected PM?

FFS lefty he won fair and square get over it 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

…to reveal the lizard skin underneath.

aracer
    Free Member

You mean CMD didn't win a leadership election and didn't become PM due to his party winning more seats than any other at a general election? I know my memory's bad, and happy to accept that Kinnock did actually win in '92, but surely I can trust what I think happened in the last week?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can't ever remember "electing" a PM…ever. I once remember electing a president in Ireland…but then, that's a republic you see.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you did exactly what he said you would you do aracer
    he didnt really win the election and get an absolute majority for his party now did he? That why that bloke Clegg and his lot are in alliance /coalition with him. Different from Brown , more legitimate who knows but he did not win the election alone he requires the support of another party to remain there

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

didn't become PM due to his party winning more seats than any other at a general election?

No that's not the reason. The reason he's PM is because he's done a deal with the LibDems. Had the LibDems done a deal with someone else, then he wouldn't be PM now.

I'm surprised you didn't know that aracer. And I'm surprised that you can't remember the results of an election which only happened last week.

Talkemada
    Free Member

He said it was not his pencil.

Ha! But you lie, for the evidence is in Brick Dust.

grumm
    Free Member

You mean CMD didn't win a leadership election and didn't become PM due to his party winning more seats than any other at a general election?

That's right, he didn't.

scaredypants

deadlydarcy – Member
    …to reveal the lizard skin underneath.

😉

You mean CMD didn't win a leadership election and didn't become PM due to his party winning more seats than any other at a general election?

Which of those things doesn't apply to Brown?

And, while we're all ranting, why do politicians of all parties say that the country "has spoken" and told us that what it wants is … when that's the definition of PR, as opposed to 600-odd political fiefdoms aggregating to see who takes charge of the place ?

sputnik
    Free Member

scaredypants

😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘"We don't just ask what are my entitlements, but what are my responsibilities"’ is closed to new replies.