Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • We done Brammeier's crash at Utah..?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks nasty. Sounds like he’s ok. May be a while before he’s back on the bike though.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRM3bFXlyNk[/video]

wombat

Ouch, it’s the crunch on impact that really sets my teeth on edge. 😥

Hope he’s OK

plus-one

Watched this last night it made my stomach churn 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Giving a thumbs up from the hospital here.

hatter

Horrid horrid horrid, wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

amedias
    Free Member

Wishing him a speedy recovery as that looked awful!

Cant help but think all the support cars stopped in the aftermath in the outside lane would have been better in that layby or pulling right over, got pretty hectic there and two other riders collided with the motorbike as well but they all seemed to just be stopping right in the worst possible place!

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a sickener. So glad he’s ok. Broken bones but luckily nothing cranial or spinal, and no surgery.

Speed he was coming in it might have been a blessing to hit the car. Apparently there’s a gully outside the corner.

gary

Good work by the motor bike, taking out two extra riders for good measure!

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ouch! Was there a mechanical involved, that didn’t look like a speed/line anyone would choose? Possibly better that the car was there than going off the edge of the road.

core

Nice of fellow competitors and support cars to stop and offer assistance……..

Two riders taken out by motorbike after initial crash probably wouldn’t have made the corner anyway, and could have slowed down/avoided it.

Poor show from all involved I think.

larkim
    Free Member

As he comes into view he’s off the tarmac about 20m before he gets friendly with the car, so presume something when wrong with his brakes?

matt_outandabout

ooooof.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Good work by the motor bike, taking out two extra riders for good measure!

you mean stopped trying to offer some level of protection to a potentially critically injured fallen rider, whilst dozens of people were running further up the road trying to slow everybody down? If he’d ridden on and the next cyclist had hit and further injured (or worse…) Brammier he’d be criticised for being negligent.

A lot of hysteria on twitter about the motos and team cars, esp after all the incidents we’ve had this year, but that was a series of riders screwing up a corner where they were going to hit something, a team car being in the “wrong” place at the wrong time, and a couple of moto riders trying to do the right thing.

Still sickening and wish him a speedy recovery.

convert

Nice of fellow competitors and support cars to stop and offer assistance……..

Yeah, what that corner needed was a few more cars parked up and cyclists walking around….

That looked proper nasty but agreed he was way out of control with his back wheel up in the air before he hit the car.

and a couple of moto riders trying to do the right thing.

I’m not sure quite what the two motorcyclists thought they were doing – message hadn’t got up the hill far enough to give the riders a chance and they just positioned themselves to take away most of their options.

geoffj

you mean stopped trying to offer some level of protection to a potentially critically injured fallen rider, whilst dozens of people were running further up the road trying to slow everybody down? If he’d ridden on and the next cyclist had hit and further injured (or worse…) Brammier he’d be criticised for being negligent.

Maybe the first motorcyclist did position himself to offer some protection. The second, that got hit by the bikes looked like he just didn’t know what to do and was meandering around the corner, still moving when the bikes hit him. He may have been trying to move into a protective position, but he wasn’t in that position when the 2 bikes hit him.

convert

The second, that got hit by the bikes looked like he just didn’t know what to do and was meandering around the corner.

My thoughts exactly.

fathomer

That’s a shocker, though as already said the car possibly did him a favour.

letmetalktomark

Both he and the rider in front of him went into the corner endo’ing 😯

Good job he didn’t hit an expensive team car …. oh wait!

Motorbike riders did the right thing IMO – The two that went off after the impact with the bike would never have made that corner!

convert

The two that went off after the impact with the bike would never have made that corner!

I say they would have done if their options hadn’t been removed by the first moto. They would never have been where they were if their natural line hadn’t been removed (much wider to the right then sweeping left to the apex, but that line was cut off making them go route one straight to the apex and on).

lemonysam
    Free Member

Both he and the rider in front of him went into the corner endo’ing

Bloody enduro riders get everywhere.

Northwind

Or, maybe they’d have crashed into Brammeier instead. Who knows what line or what speed they’d have been doing without the traffic, but they looked to me like more “might make it round or might not” despite seemingly having a decent amount of time to react (more than the motorbike)

TBF; you come down the hill, there’s a bloke who looks dead in the middle of the road. If you instantly do 100% the right thing, you are probably a self-driving car.

Rorschach
    Free Member

He would have been doing the same speed he hit the car at (if not more…the side of a car is a great motivator) as he left the road and sailed into the beyond.I’d say hitting the car was a better outcome tbh (not having Geraint there as a berm).Some shocking skills on display there….some of them must have been french.

convert

The crowd didn’t help too I reckon. I used to have this all the time in triathlon – bystanders or marshals waving at you frantically to ‘slow down’ for a dodgy corner because they have little appreciation of what can be handled. You just get to ignore them eventually. If they had been shouting ‘crash’ however it might have got through to my red mist race head that there was something amiss and slowing down was probably a good shout.

gary

The second, that got hit by the bikes looked like he just didn’t know what to do and was meandering around the corner.

My thoughts exactly. [/quote]

Yup, that’s the one I meant. The first one tried to do something sensible, not sure it was the best option given how much it limited riders options, but the second would have come out of nowhere for the riders that hit it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

geoff, convert, I agree but my point was they were “trying to do the right thing” , not that they did the right thing, even if that meant making a hash of your decision making in the heat of the moment, rather than the clear ineptitude of recent team/support/motos driving into riders or each other, hitting them with doors etc.

As a copper I’m used to people’s split-second decisions being dissected and criticised with 20/20 hindsight, when we’re human, or as northwind put it

you come down the hill, there’s a bloke who looks dead in the middle of the road. If you instantly do 100% the right thing, you are probably a self-driving car.

Oh, and Convert, you undermined your argument of descending prowess being misjudged when you mentioned triathlons 😉

convert

Oh, and Convert, you undermined your argument of descending prowess being misjudged when you mentioned triathlons

🙂

To be honest the triathlon bit didn’t help. They would see a couple of others fall off the road and assume I would be equally inept!

geoffj

geoff, convert, I agree but my point was they were “trying to do the right thing” , not that they did the right thing, even if that meant making a hash of your decision making in the heat of the moment, rather than the clear ineptitude of recent team/support/motos driving into riders or each other, hitting them with doors etc.

As a copper I’m used to people’s split-second decisions being dissected and criticised with 20/20 hindsight, when we’re human, or as northwind put it

I agree – not everyone can have the superhuman reflexes and clarity of thought as the average STWer 😆

Stevet1
    Free Member

Some shocking cornering in that video, loads of people going wide / overshooting the corner.

wwaswas

He’s looking a bit more chipper today;

cookeaa

Poor race control was the cause IMO, support vehicles mixed up amongst riders all over the shop, should have been held back till the descent was clear…

Don’t reckon clattering the car did him any favours as others seem to believe, given the extra ~15 foot of road width plus the run off area he probably could have slowed the bike enough to get it under control…

But We’ll never know now will we…

Rorschach
    Free Member

15 foot of road width plus the run off area he probably could have slowed the bike enough to get it under control…

If he was equal parts Peter Sagan and Aaron Gwynn he still would have ended up in a big pile of high speed s@$%

butcher

I find it hard to believe that he even seen the corner until a couple of seconds before the crash. There was no way he was getting it under control, car or no car. Clearly rider error. Should the cars have been there? Difficult one if you have a long string of riders – where do you put the cars?

Anyway, hopefully he makes a speedy recovery. Some nasty injuries there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of course, if he’d had disc brakes……

😉

emyr

From what I could make out, and I read some comments from locals saying the same, there is no catch barrier on that hairpin, so without the car he’d be basejumping in the woods with no parachute.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

So has he said what happened yet? Brain fade, or brake fade?

matt_outandabout

Of course, if he’d had disc brakes……

WWDD?

larkim
    Free Member

He’d clearly already locked the rear when he comes into shot (he’s all crossed up), but then the front begins to bite putting him into an endo. He doesn’t appear to be putting his weight over the back wheel sufficiently (or at all) to keep the back down and on the ground, but it doesn’t look like his pads failed him – just that he was going too fast to make the corner.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be pads, it’d be carbon rims that don’t like getting warm.

Either way he wasn’t going to make it round, not by a very long way, look at the other riders messing it up from much lower speeds and running very wide/late round the corner. The two into the motorbike might have made it, if the road had been completely clear but like others they weren’t going to be pretty about it and would have been in the cars if the bike hadn’t been there.

FuzzyWuzzy

As posted on Bike Radar by a local, the descent before is high speed and sweeping (fast) bends, the corner just before the crash though leaves you blind to what’s a hairpin bend in another 250m so if you haven’t recced the descent there’s a good chance you’ll arrive into it carrying too much speed (as lots of riders did). From the spectator cam footage it looks like Matt’s really going for it then looses control well before the corner whilst desperately trying to scrub off speed but actually means he arrives at the corner much faster than those that retained control

cookeaa

Dunno. He’s got one car to his right which was obviously preventing him from coming out wide to start with so he’s essentially forced to the inside late on in his approach, spots the other car while already trying to adjust for too high an entry speed on the inside line and panic brakes further (hence the stoppy)…

but the fundamental cause is all the support vehicles being in the way on the approach and throughout that corner.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘We done Brammeier's crash at Utah..?’ is closed to new replies.