Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • We Buy Any Car – is this a first?
  • dannybgoode

So following on from the wtf do I do with my mum’s car thread in the end, having got it running and MOT’d we’ve decided to keep it and give it to my wife and she’s got rid of her Honda Jazz – which to be fair was pretty much falling apart.

So, I ran it through WBAC and they basically said (correctly) that they’d be doing us a favour to take it off our hands for £50. Took it to the local branch and the bloke removed all the damage I had noted and bumped it up to £100 for us!

Never heard of this happening before – I wouldn’t have been surprised if they had refused the car outright!

TheFlyingOx

It’s because the local breakers will pay £200 for a complete car in any condition. Instant £100 profit for them, and you’re more likely to recommend them to others.

totalshell

our local breakers pay 80 quid non runners picked up and 180 runners delivered. paid overnight into a bank v5c in owners name essential

dannybgoode

Fair enough – couldn’t be arsed looking at breakers etc. Trust me – there was not £200 in that car!

Tyres were shot, locks were broke, ignition had been bypassed due to a key fault, seats had 4 years worth of toddler on them, the body was knackered etc!

The engine worked I suppose (100k on it) but other than that I cannot think of one salvageable part.

dannybgoode

Fair enough – couldn’t be arsed looking at breakers etc. Trust me – there was not £200 in that car!

Tyres were shot, locks were broke, ignition had been bypassed due to a key fault, seats had 4 years worth of toddler on them, the body was knackered etc!

The engine worked I suppose (100k on it) but other than that I cannot think of one salvageable part.

dannybgoode

dannybgoode

Why that posted 3 times I’ve no idea!

jambalaya
    Free Member

3 copies, is that a record 😉 ?

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

cars not worth anything like that any more scrap value. they even charge you if you leave the tyres on at some places.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Engine ran, gearbox too ? Some life left in the tyres ? Lights and lenses, interior components / dashboard … body panels not dented ?

dannybgoode

@jamba – you’d be pushed to find a body panel that was not dented and scratched! Tyres – shot. Engine and gear box OK.

To be honest I’m delighted she’s took my mum’s car and that’s gone. They could have had it for £50!

agent007
    Free Member

Tyres were shot, locks were broke, ignition had been bypassed due to a key fault, seats had 4 years worth of toddler on them, the body was knackered etc! The engine worked I suppose (100k on it) but other than that I cannot think of one salvageable part.

Yet it just passed an MOT?????

dannybgoode

MOT’s are essentially useless to determine the condition of a vehicle other than it passes specific measures.

It was completely road worthy yet still an utter shed if that makes sense.

I am still surprised they voluntarily doubled their quote. They usually voluntarily halve it!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Dont people buy this kind of car to park outside their neighbours house for 6 months?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They just weigh ’em. Literally. I got £175 for an Omega in similar condition.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘We Buy Any Car – is this a first?’ is closed to new replies.