Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • We ar the new golf! I feel a little sick
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

BBC Cycling is the new golf

What it leaves me thinking is when can we rip up the turf and dig in some berms and jumps?

nemesis
    Free Member

I love the golfers in this pic.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Meh, thems is roadies.
    I is not a roadie.

stevied
    Free Member

Can’t be the new golf. No cyclist would wear such horrendous outfits as those golfers 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Binners is looking well.

medoramas
    Free Member

At least the ex-golfers are doing some proper sport now! 8)

nemesis
    Free Member

The kit those golfers are wearing doesn’t look too dissimilar to mtbers in baggies and jersies that are a pretty common sight on the trails…

simon_g

I’ve always been a cyclist but I played golf for the first time a couple of years ago and picked up a secondhand set of clubs. Quite enjoyed the early progression so far but I can’t see it going anywhere beyond a few games a year with mates who are nearly as bad at it as I am. No ambitions beyond that.

The article is right, a round takes too long for most people. 4-5 hours on the course plus getting there and back just takes up too much of the day. The clubs really don’t help attract beginners, they feel a bit like the roadie clubs that only exist to get people into racing – if you’re not wanting to get a handicap (paying for a load of tuition to get you there) and compete in their tournaments then there’s not much for you.

The courses when I’ve played have been full of retirees, who seem to be the only demographic with enough time to waste.

klumpy
    Free Member

Hardly surprising. Golf is keeping a spreadsheet of how many thwacks you took, and buying expensive nonsense in the hope of making your thwacks graph better. Roadie-ing is keeping a spreadsheet of average speed, and buying expensive nonsense in the hope of making your power graph better.

And as bigyin said: cyclists we are not. MTB forum this is.

ninfan
    Free Member

Worry ye not, it’s road cycling that’s the new golf, with sportives being the new weekend golfing trip

Mountain biking is no longer trendy, too many broken limbs.

ahwiles
    Free Member

nemesis – Member

The kit those golfers are wearing…

so Enduro!

Edric64
    Free Member

I am a cyclist and ride many disciplines of the sport (apart from sportives )I timetrial ,audax ,ride track ,and do mountain bike races .

kimbers

Road cycling is definitely like golf

tuskaloosa
    Free Member
    joolsburger
    Free Member

I cycle on the road at times, I even own a racer but I am no roadie.

MTB will never be the new golf.

digga
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member
    I cycle on the road at times, I even own a racer but I am no roadie.

MTB will never be the new golf.MTB is the new coarse fishing?

wrecker
    Free Member

“cycling” is a bit broad. Are BMXers or unicyclists likely to be enlightened golfists?
    Nope. And neither are MTBers.
    The mainstream generally equate cycling to be roadying, as they don’t generally see MTBers in the forests, or BMXers at the jump spots. Maybe roadying is the new golf. I dunno. Maybe. MTB, BMX etc? No chance.

ads678

I regularly ride bikes, sometimes a road bike and sometimes a mountain bike have done for about 35 years. But I have never entered a race, am I even classed as a cyclist, let alone a new age golfist?

hooli

The article is pretty accurate I think.

Golf takes too long, is too expensive and is not interesting to the younger generation. If they re-invent it as they did with test cricket/ODI’s and then 20/20, I am sure it will improve.

As for MTB not being the new golf, you must be kidding. We dress just as badly as roadies (albeit it baggy clothes rather than lycra) but are less fit and still hang thousands of pounds of skills compensators on the back of our german estates.

hooli

And for all those going on about MAMILs, there are also MAMIBAs. Middle aged men in body armour.

matts
    Free Member

The kit those golfers are wearing doesn’t look too dissimilar to mtbers in baggies and jersies that are a pretty common sight on the trails…

Nah. They’re not wearing shoes that look 5 sizes too big.

woody2000

We ar the new golf!

No, I ar a pirate!

fasthaggis

You need to watch out for MAMABAs (Middle Aged Men Acting Bad Ass)
    Lots of them out this Friday at Christmas parties,some of them ride bikes 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Not having it. MTB is not an attractive prospect to golfists. Entirely different mentality.

jekkyl

Cycling is a lot more accessible since you can buy a bike for £100 and do it from your front door, you can’t do that with golf. Cycling is a lot easier, being good at golf takes years of dedication. Cycling is lot more fun, freewheeling down a steep hill is so awesome, how can that even compare to anything gold has to offer, even a hole in one. So yup I’m all for a rise in cycling. The more popular it becomes the more trails that will get built. A rise in popularity can only be a good thing.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I am not a cyclist, I am a mountain biker.

Northwind

[video]http://vimeo.com/41035004[/video]

I like golf

ampthill

I think one of the key thing is

“from your front door”

Plus

Any amount of challenge

On your own or in a group

Many people can get all the kit they need out of untaxed income

I fall into the cyclist camp. Sometimes on road sometimes off road

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The mainstream generally equate cycling to be roadying, as they don’t generally see MTBers in the forests, or BMXers at the jump spots. Maybe roadying is the new golf. I dunno. Maybe. MTB, BMX etc? No chance.

You’d be surprised who those “MTB’ers in the forrest” can turn out to be.

I once went on and MTB holliday with Malcom Brinded and some similarly big-wigs from the Oil and Gas industry*. Bit wierd having post ride beers with the people who ultimatley signed the cheques that keep the company I work for in business (and we’re a $6billion company!) He rides a rather nice Titanium Voodoo hardtail.

*by chance, that’s not my normal social circle.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not having it. MTB is not an attractive prospect to golfists. Entirely different mentality.

I don’t think the phenomenon relies on golfers hanging up their clubs to buy Pinarellos.

It’s more that cycling occupies the socio-econonic space formerly taken by golf, which lets face it is shit, pointless and way more enviromentally destructive than cycling.

(maybe trolling slightly at the end there)

innit_gareth
    Free Member

3 hours on the golf course can go quicker than 3 hours on the road bike.

cookeaa

Dunno, not all “New Golfers” are actually former Golfists Just higher disposable income and time, Fad hoppers…

I have a mate acquantance of ~17 years or so, I went to Uni with him, lovely fella but he was prone to going with whatever the crowd did…

No interest in Bikes or MTBs in all the time I’ve known him, developed an interest in snowboards for a couple of years, then ~18 months ago He suddenly becomes a MTBer, 2K Spesh 29er bought, Harping on about his new reverb, Has Clearly just smothered himself in MBR, doing the whole “Social marketing” thing via FB so everyone now knows He’s a Rad^Gnarrly MTBist, seems to have gone a bit quiet on that front though lately, since A) procreating and B) The Weather getting a bit colder…

But He’s what I’d consider an archetypal “New Golfer” Picks up a new fad, knows all about it within minutes, drops it within two years to take something else up…

So yeah Road, MTB, Fat bikes, Track, BMX probably too, they all pick these fools up and pass them round the niches, Half the Born again Brads will be abusing C2W for an 2nd bike, a MTB or CX bike within 12 months of taking up cycling, especially when they realise winter is less fun on an un-guarded Carbon ego chariot…

It’s all good. 😉

Houns

I’ve been saying it for years

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, not all “New Golfers” are actually former Golfists Just higher disposable income and time, Fad hoppers…

+1, the audi with a ‘5’ on the roof is the same demographic stereotype as a Jag XF with a new set of Taylor Made bats in the boot. Doesn’t mean they used to be the same person. Could even be a new wave of recently promoted middle managers and golf numbers are only declining as they die off.

TiRed

“I’ve always been a GOLFER but I STARTED CYCLING for the first time a couple of years ago and picked up a secondhand ROAD BIKE. Quite enjoyed the early progression so far but I can’t see it going anywhere beyond a few SPORTIVES a year with mates who are nearly as bad at it as I am. No ambitions beyond that.”

Thought the article was OK, personally. I’m definitely a cyclist. Always ridden for commuting and pleasure. Joined a club and took up competitive cycling at 45. This year I have competed in FIVE cycling disciplines, mountain biking is one of them. And it definitely says “Bike Forum”.

But I am sure there are no shortcuts to success in either golf or competitive cycling. None that I have found, anyway. You just have to put the hours in.

mindmap3
    Free Member

As for MTB not being the new golf, you must be kidding. We dress just as badly as roadies (albeit it baggy clothes rather than lycra) but are less fit and still hang thousands of pounds of skills compensators on the back of our german estates.

Mine’s a german saloon actually… 😆

On a serious note though, quite a few of the older guys as at work have discovered bikes in the last few years. Guys who I would usually expect to be golfists and most have gone out and spunked a load of money on posh bikes.

There do seem to be a lot more roadies these days too.

ampthill

Just remembered my brother in law was golfer

He went straight to Downhill. He has national licence and does the whole points series thing

But he wasn’t a typical golfist

Before that he was a surfer and as a teenager he skated up walls

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Mountain biking is no longer trendy, too many broken limbs.

That’s a good thing in my book, I have no desire to be trendy. Sorry to anyone with broken bits.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

I see the comments section has all the usual cyclist haters having a go!

crosshair
    Free Member

What about the coporate side?
    I can’t imagine breathing out of your arse up a cat4 is the best place to discuss business. Even the cafe stop is disrupted by the stench of melting fat and sugary farts. Nor is beating your new boss to the top a great idea and the only alternative is spending 20minutes in his weaving-slipstream staring at his arse.
    No, golf has no worries from cycling 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘We ar the new golf! I feel a little sick’ is closed to new replies.