Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • We all love a 'Recommend me' thread… so: Recommend me a man bag
  • DezB
    Free Member

On the occasion that I don’t ride to work, I need to carry in my lunch, phone, wallet and occasionally, laptop. Few other bits.
    Been using a Dakine courier type bag for a few years and hate the thing – the carry handle is in the wrong place, it’s too soft, the strap twists up, stuff falls out cos the shape is all wrong, especially if being held by the handle.
    Want something similar, but holds it’s shape better. Anything you lovely people can recommend?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

newrobdob
    Free Member

lunch,

In a box, in one hand.

phone, wallet

Use your pockets

laptop

Leave at work.

DezB
    Free Member

Got a link so I can have a look, newrobdob?

matt_outandabout

I use my Patagonia Half Mass for that kind of use – I lug a laptop and some files more often.
    Mines now a decade old and going strong.

DezB
    Free Member

Hmm, Mulberry

cat69uk
    Free Member

Have a look at Millican, some lovely bags.

Drac

Osprey Flapjack.

DezB
    Free Member

Good recommend, Drac – was looking at that, maybe bit big for what I need. Found a Crumpler reduced from £100 to £30, so that’s top of the list at the mo.

z1ppy

Timbuk2 have a sale on, as I’m looking to replace my cheap but annoying Altura courier bag for a decent one.. don’t own one (yet) but they seem to be well liked.

Drac

Good recommend, Drac – was looking at that, maybe bit big for what I need

Not if you’re wanting to put a laptop in.

RustySpanner

for authenticity.

They do courier/laptop bags too.
    🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Angelos does a magnificent range of man bags.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Made in The lake District..
    https://www.homeofmillican.com/

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Made in The lake District..
    https://www.homeofmillican.com/

This style of bag is probably best off worn in the Lake District, up a hill where no one’ll see you. It gives off an air of wet-lettuce; it’s an invitation for roughians to take your phone or laptop.

A classic holdall is what you want, as used by big lifters. People will give you a wide berth as you’re likely to have a strong gym aroma. A real Alpha male bag.

DezB
    Free Member

Thank you Mr Taylforth, I shall bear that in mind next time I need to bring my football clothing to work.
    Found a Burton Snowboards one, cheap. I think that’ll be it. All the straps and pockets in the right place. And Burton 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

That old-school Head bag is sweet.

Dezzy’s gonna need a full casual ensemble with it though – Farahs, Lacoste jumper and maybe a pair of Diadora trainers.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

If you want to spend, I’ve had a Filson bag for years, it’s tough as boots, very weatherproof. Amazing customer service (they sent me an add on, for free, overnight from Seattle). Not UK made like the Millican ones though, which are also nice.

Kryton57

Inlaws got me a Kattee bag for xmas, very sturdy and more a semi rigid shape than the last bag I had.

https://www.kattee.com/collections/mens-leather-bag/products/kattee-handmade-genuine-leather-laptop-briefcase-messenger-bag

Thats mine, others on the site are available.

DezB
    Free Member

I nearly went for something like that Kattee off of Amazon, but was put off by the buckles – too technical for me. So I’ve ordered the Burton, it has a clicky, Camelbak style fastener. And it wasn’t 100s of quids. I am not a rich man, unfortunately.

midlifecrashes

Where was the £30 Crumpler, I use a waxed cotton and leather thing from Jasper Conran at Debenhams, but on mucky days like today it could do with being properly waterproof.

GrahamS
    Kryton57

DesB – On mine the buckles are for show, it’s uses single click clips underneath.

It was a requirement after spending many a meeting-end with people waiting for me to faff with buckles…

rmacattack
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got two bags and alternate between both depending on what I’m carrying and how far. both look good still if quite grubby. On/off bike and short haul excursions, used to carry works 14kg laptop but now just carry either Mac air or iPad..

I googled images, oddly both bags came up in one photo..

DezB
    Free Member

Where was the £30 Crumpler

The Roady – just big enough, but the handle at the back blew it for me. That’s like my current one and it makes everything tip forward.

edhornby

20L aplkit gourdon #jobdone

Cougar

Good luck. I’ve been looking for something to replace mine for about a year.

I’m looking for something that can hold an 8″ tablet, a couple of phones and a few other odds and ends. Most offerings seem to be laptop bags and I don’t need anything that big (and I don’t really want to spend £400 on a bloody bag either).

oldtennisshoes

Dez – gotta linky to the Burton one?

DezB
    Free Member

Yup – The Flint, here https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/brands/burton/shoulder-bags/

£5 off signing up for the newsletter

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😐 looks a bit too much like a laptop bag no?

SaxonRider

Get something handmade and classic that’ll last you a lifetime.

Like something from Chapman Bags.

I bought a rucksack with my Christmas money last year, and although I use it every day, it looks and feels the way it did when I first received it.

You won’t regret it.

jamj1974

Another vote for the Osprey Flapjack here. Been using one for the last few months and it’s been the best work bag I’ve used. Comfortable – even when loaded to the brim, roomy and resistant to the weather.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s a little Near the start but what’s wrong with mullbery ?

Gunz
    Free Member

Some of these are ridiculous, £300 for a canvas bag. I’ve been using a Berghaus rucksack for the last 20 years and it only cost about £40. How about this?

https://www.berghaus.com/arrow-30-rucksack/421587.html

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mission Workshop Rambler.

metalheart
    Free Member

Now it’s too late I’ll add a further recommendation for the Flapjack.

Been using mine pretty much for OP’s stated uses (and it’ll take a 17″ laptop) for most of this year at least.

Seems to be weatherproof (in the highlands), and not showing any obvious signs of wear (or use really).

Before the FJ I had an Osprey Tallon 22 rucksack which I pretty much used for everything commuting, walking, sport climbing, shopping which lasted a good five years before being retired on knackered zip and generally being worn out. So reckon this one will last too. 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Some of these are ridiculous, £300 for a canvas bag

Too right. what kind of ponce would use something like that to chuck their lunch in to take to work?!
    I’d rather use a Tesco carrier bag.
    Got plenty of rucksacks, didnt want one of those.
    Sorted now anyway. Was a close run thing with the Flapjack, if I don’t like the Burton, thats what I’ll go for.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, and also, the occasions I dont ride to work occur only 3-4 times a month, so there isn’t much chance of it getting worn out!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘We all love a 'Recommend me' thread… so: Recommend me a man bag’ is closed to new replies.