Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ways to carry stuff on the bike..
  • maxray
    Free Member

Currently got a messenger style bag (Altura Urban) which has been great but recently I have been needing to carry more into work with me and it’s not as comfortable.

Typically I have change of clothes, notepad, phone and wallet, 13″ macbook pro, ipad and associated charger etc and the usual puncture repair type stuff.

Trying to think of a better type of bag/ method of carrying said gubbins.

Was hoping to avoid bags attached to the bike though only because I imagine them being unweildy rather than having any proof! 🙂

So, any suggestions of how best to transport all this stuff to and from work?

Ta,

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Pannier pags are great if you’ve got a lot of kit. Gets the weight low-down and off your back, and with a pair you can balance the weight better. It does feel different initially, but only briefly. they tend to be quick release and with a shoulder strap are easy to carry, you can even get the briefcase shaped ones too which are better for laptops.

I used to carry a Dell M70 in one pannier and a projector in the other, through the middle of Auckland in rush hour. Expensive to crash…

binners

I used to carry pretty much the same in a Howies courier bag. Its got a proper padded laptop section (took my 17″ Macbook pro easily) and a multitude of pockets for phone, ipod, wallet etc and a big main section for a change of clothes. Its lasted for years, being used daily, is absolutely bombproof and comfy

Alternatively, I believe this man came up with the perfect solution

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Short distances around town I use a rucksack two straps make it a lot more stable than a messenger bag. Longer distances or a lot of stuff panniers.

Modern panniers are good and easy to use

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Pannier bags are just fine. Overloaded bar bags make the bike feel much more wonky!

I got a courier bag after I found rucksacks (even with waist straps) tried to overtake me on the steep hills down from Uni. But they can be a pain with lots of heavy stuff in.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Was hoping to avoid bags attached to the bike though only because I imagine them being unweildy rather than having any proof!

I understand your thoughts. When I was commuting in London I much preferred a messenger bag or my personal preference of a good backpack because it was more manoeuvrable.

Having said that once a load gets to a certain size / weight unless it’s only occasional riding with it on your back is uncomfy and it’s still unstable! A large load on the bike is more stable than on your back. You will have to adjust the way you ride though.

What I resorted to was a rack for occasional use or a mixture of backpack and small bag on the bike.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I found rucksacks (even with waist straps) tried to overtake me on the steep hills down from Uni.

Very few large rucksacks are made for cycling. There are some good “courier” style one out there though. Project tortoise did a good one but not sure if they are still going.

BigJohn

When I had the weekend’s meat & veg from the butcher, plus a magura fork and a cotic frame that both turned up at work, in a single pannier, I found that it was hard to lift the saddle in the usual way (apply front brake and push) so I could spin the pedal backwards to get it into the right setting off position (fixie). Once I got going it was fine, but trackstands were a bit more wobbly than usual.

ciron
    Free Member

I used one of these for quite a few years

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-trans-alpine-30-litre-rucksack/

Should easily fit everything you list. Using a smaller one now and was going to put it up on the classified. Mail me if you’re interested in it.

miketually
    Free Member

TD-1 on Yuba Mundo by miketually, on Flickr

Yuba Mundo towing MTB by miketually, on Flickr

Two 150 litre bags of compost on Yuba Mundo by miketually, on Flickr

Depends upon the bike 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Mike – that box is just the daddy! 😆

I’ve done an upright Dyson Hoover in a messenger bag before now, and the compost on the rack job – though the latter broke all the stupid alloy nipples in my back wheel 😐

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I really like the Vaude packs – have used a Splash 20 for years (on my second one). Might be a bit small but they do a 30 litre version as well – the Bike Alpin 30

Comfortable, and hold the stuff off your back so not nearly as sweaty. Useless off road as the frame jumps up and hits your helmet.

uplink
    Free Member

Mike was fine with the box but he did have to tack out a couple of miles in the wrong direction before he could turn it across the wind and make course for home

maxray
    Free Member

Hmm cheers guys, I was worrying about the laptop in a pannier getting loads more vibration than on my back. Going to weigh my bag tonight when I get in just to see. It’s not the end of the world when I do bike > train > bike as no bit of the bike part isd more than about 20min but when I cycle the full way its 2 hours which really canes your lower back/shoulder.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That’s a lot of weight for a 2 hour ride. Is it your own laptop or a company one? I know people who cycle regularly with a laptop in panniers and it’s fine but would be amazed if it doesn’t shorten the life.

maxray
    Free Member

It’s mine tho I use it in work for app dev work as I have a pc in work. I specced it with a ssd with the thought that less moving parts is good 🙂 a friend on here has recently got some carradice kit that attaches to your seat post I think.. will take a look.

TheBrick
    Free Member

When I carried a laptop I always put that on my back and all other stuff on the bike. Reduced the weight on your back but keeps the laptop “damped”.

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah I am thinking that sounds a good plan. Just need to decide what receptical to use 🙂

disben

I have this carradice bag and its great for work. Fits lunch, change of clothes, tools, spare inner tube, phone, wallet and coat etc quite easily. Attaches to seat post and is pretty solid. Slips of when you get to work and has a carrying handle. It would fit the mac in (at an angle) and I think with the mac padded you should be fine!

aracer
    Free Member

I believe this man came up with the perfect solution

Have your chauffeur follow in the car?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ways to carry stuff on the bike..’ is closed to new replies.