Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Way to avoid headaches?
  • henni
    Free Member

Hi there,

I’ve been having a lot of headaches lately, not as bad as migraines but still pretty annoying and painful.
    I think I figured out why – its because I don’t drink and eat enough during exercise or during a normal day.
    I just don’t have that much time to always prepare something and I’m not allowed to eat in the lab anyways.
    My mum now suggested to drink those protein shakes during the day, so I can built up muscles and keep my sugar level up. I have no idea if that works or if thats completely wrong in my situation or if there even is a better way.

Any thoughts?

Ta, Henni

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Stop walking into things. HTH.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YOu must have access to water at work. Legal obligation as is meal breaks

Normal diet is always best

poly
    Free Member

YOu must have access to water at work. Legal obligation as is meal breaks

Yes but for legitimate reasons that water won’t be allowed in most labs. For many people they can “sip” water all day long as and when they wish remaining thoroughly hydrated. For other people, including lab based workers, this may not be practical. Depending on the type of lab getting in and out of the “hazard” environment can be a bit of a ball ache requiring changing clothes etc – a bit like entering or leaving an operating theatre – so popping out every half hour for a small glass of water (and then probably also needing to go more often) is not going to happen.

Normal diet is always best

I’d agree with that. Unless there is some very good reason to use protein shakes I wouldn’t be looking at them as a solution to headaches. Eating a healthy, balanced diet (plenty of fruit and veg) is probably a better plan.

Personally I find I get headaches if:

– I don’t drink enough.
    – I only drink coffee all day (this will usually be on business trips, up at silly o’clock for a flight, then coffee at airport, coffee at meetings, coffee waiting for flight back etc…)
    – I haven’t had “a pee” for about 8 hrs or more (which probably means I am not drinking enough).

I’ve never associated food with them – but I rarely miss meals.

I’ve learned that when I get the very first symptoms I go and get a pint of water and take 2 paracetemol/ibuprofen (even though the headache is usually not sore enough to warrant taking pain killers). I also try to get out in the fresh air. Then an hour later have another large glass of water. Doing that I can almost completely stop them turning into headsplitting headaches or even migraines. Now learning to try and avoid the problem in the first place. Have a glass of water with your meals. Have water or juice instead of caffinated drinks etc.

higthepig
    Free Member

I got headaches in one office because of a problem caused by strip lights and the pc monitor, turned the desk 90 degrees (and monitor) and the headaches stopped. Thought the person was mad who suggested to do it, but it worked for me.

RobHilton
    Free Member

^ I had the tube from the strip light above my desk removed and the headaches that I’d had since changing offices vanished.

Someone once told me that if you set the refresh rate of a PC monitor to 100hz you can really screw up the user as it’s the same frequency as strip lighting and creates an unseen all-round strobing effect*.

*This may be bollox. I’ve never seen the option for a 100hz refresh.

CaptJon
    Free Member

tired?
    dehydrated?
    hungry?
    need glasses?
    withdrawal from something?

crikey
    Free Member

#firstworldproblems

Really, ladies….

maccruiskeen

I’m not allowed to eat in the lab anyways.

Damn those scientists, if they’re going to experiment on humans they should at least order you a pizza or something, after all those beagles used to get free fags.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Way to avoid headaches?’ is closed to new replies.