Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Way OT. How long do butterfly's live for?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

For some reason I thought it was days. There’s one in one of the finished houses and its very much alive.

peterfile
    Free Member
    anagallis_arvensis

From days to weeks but mostly less than months I would say.

elliptic
    Free Member

Some species can hibernate over winter, I have three painted ladies (fnarr fnarr!) asleep in my roof beams at the moment. Occasionally they can wake up early if it gets too warm. Trap it in a cardboard box and put it somewhere cool & quiet, it’ll settle down again.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Got a couple hibernating in my shed.. One had a flutter about in the sunshine the other day, but has returned to slumber mode now.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    From days to weeks but mostly less than months I would say.

is that based on anything or just your whimsical thoughts?

TPTcruiser

We have peacock butterflies in our passage, over wintering at the moment. They also roost there at night when it is warmer. Their rubbing wings make a right noise in the summer. Counted 20 plus of them.

hammyuk
    Free Member

They also migrate in their millions

theflatboy
    Free Member

Anyone who is interested in butterflies, climate change and/or good books should read Flight Behaviour by Barbara Kingsolver.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yep this is a peacock. We’ve turned the heating up in the houses as the painting has all been snagged after 18 months dormant. Unfortunately he looks as tho he’s been assisting the painter….

globalti
    Free Member

Butterfly’s what?

JoeG
    Free Member

In the US, butterflies migrate for the winter. All the way from the northeast US to Mexico! 😯

jonahtonto
    Free Member

we have butterflies that migrate here in the uk too
    propbably just coming over to steal our nectar (points)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Way OT. How long do butterfly's live for?’ is closed to new replies.