Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Way OT: French courier needed for 45kg server
  • ElShalimo

I have a server in our Paris office that I need to send to an office in London.
    Its heavy, I don’t have a box for it and our staff out there are just not interested

Does anyone know a decent courier that could collect it, box up and send to London?
    Thanks

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Our friends in france describe couriers in France as chaotic. Migh be simpler getting a sack truck onto the train in London and going out yourself.

ElShalimo

Mikey-simmo
    This is what I’ve found. Even UPS & FedEx are not interested. Weird, they’re turning down easy money

ninfan
    Free Member

Have successfully arranged pickups like this via Norman global logistics, but we had a big contract with them.

Even then was not cheap

I suspect it would be easier to do it yourself

ElShalimo

Thanks, I’ll call them

simon_g

There are quite a few companies offering datacentre moving services now, and they have the right packing crates and (crucially) insurance to move stuff like that. Not all that surprised that most aren’t interested although any of the international couriers should be capable of it.

Don’t expect it to be cheap. If it’s not high end and relatively new, you may be better off just arranging disposal of it locally.

jam-bo

drive to dover, get on ferry, drive to paris, get server, drive back. you’ll be home by midnight.

iolo
    Free Member

How big is it? Will it fit in the back of a Renault Clio? How much cash (no paperwork) given that I would have to drive from North Wales to Paris, to London then back to Wales.
    I have nothing better to do for the next week or so.

globalti
    Free Member

Great offer! Give that man a job!

brassneck

Drive it if it doesn’t have important data on it, else go the insured movers route. Either way back it up a couple of times before you move.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Call your French office and make extensive use of phrases such as:

“Ca ne va pas de tout.”

“Il me le faut immediatement.”

“Non!”

A degree of slapping round the head is generally required to get anything out of the ordinary done… 😉

ElShalimo

A clarification:
    I’m based oop north so can’t just jump in a car to collect it.
    Our guys there all speak English and are equally exasperated at the complete lack of interest from local couriers
    We’ll have to use a courier with correct insurance and paperwork to satisfy the vampiric admin dept

woody2000

What about arranging a collection with a London based firm instead? More expensive, but possibly easier to arrange! 🙂

ElShalimo

woody2000 – Member
    What about arranging a collection with a London based firm instead? More expensive, but possibly easier to arrange

woody – that’s why I posted to see if anyone has a recommendation as per the OP

Does anyone know a decent courier that could collect it, box up and send to London?

Thanks

woody2000

Could’ve been a little clearer maybe 😉

ElShalimo

ooops

P-Jay
    Free Member

Parcel Monkey will arrange an international courier – but that’s not the hard bit – the hard bit is relying on them being able to pack the dam thing properly to make it a safe freight – IT equipment and they’re not usually interested as the value of a claim for loss can be multiples of the value of the kit due to the cost of data recovery.

Is it genuinely worth shipping? Do you intend on using it as a server, or do you just want the data off it?

Would you not be better off equipping someone with a Eurostar ticket and a big suitcase / bubble wrap?

woody2000
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Way OT: French courier needed for 45kg server’ is closed to new replies.