Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • WAY OT – Flip flops and shorts sort of chap needs suit advice
  • brack
    Free Member

I’ve managed to get at least 20 years out of my last suit and with a year of weddings. ( not mine ) and christenings it’s time to update the wardrobe.

I’m not looking for a bespoke suit, something off the peg..

The plan is to head in to London tomorrow..where should I head and what’s in/ out in the world of suits et attire?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Build and budget?

Even off the peg, there’s a lot of variation! Worth looking for something finished for you from the peg, trouser length etc.

brack
    Free Member

5 ft 10 stocky

£300 for suit ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilnevill
    Free Member

single breasted, 2 vent, 2 button is mainly in at the momoment. 3 piece is popular again. Stick to a grey or navy, and nothing shiny and you’ll get years from it.

id suggest covent garden for moss bross and a few other menswear shops, or oxford street for the spread including the department stores, or the strand for a few other stores.

most important thing is to get a good fit, try some on, if the fit is not good either budget for getting it altered or put it back and keep lookiing. even a great suit looks awful if it doesn’t fit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That height and build, plus the budget, try Roderick Charles on Jermyn Street. Good, classic suits that fit the sturdier chap well. Normally some in the sale, too. Worth getting two pairs of trousers, too.

theotherjonv

What’s the budget? You say off the peg, but unless on a very tight budget, I’d save some and get a decent suit adjusted to fit you rather than spend it all on a ‘better’ suit that doesn’t fit.

Slaters stores do a decent range and free alterations.

brack
    Free Member

Found a nice linen suit ?

As one of the weddings is out in Portugal might be a nice choice ?

But ok for a uk wedding ?

lunge

Head to Charles Thyritt and see what they have, that’ll be in budget and they will often tweak it to fit as well. Failing that, Jaegar do a nice suit for that kind of price, see if you can find an outlet and perhaps pick up last seasons.

Re. Linen, I would suggest it would work overseas but not in the UK where as an “normal” suit could do both. If you wore suits a lot I’d suggest you go for it but if this is a one-off purchase that you will get more wear from a “normal” suit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

if this is a one-off purchase that you will get more wear from a “normal” suit.

Agreed.

A linen suit is really great for hot weather and less formal occasions, but if you’re only buying one suit, I’d go as classic as possible. That way, you can dress it up with a spiffing shirt and tie and some damned fine shoes, or go a bit caj with an open necked shirt etc.

mefty
    Free Member

If you only have one suit, you may end up wearing it to a funeral in December – linen wouldn’t really work too well then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you only have one suit, you may end up wearing it to a funeral in December – linen wouldn’t really work too well then.

Indeed. A friend made the same mistake with his morning suit. Had one made with a heavy, warm lining, as he was based in Scotland at the time.

Was then an usher at a summer wedding in Berskhire on one of the hottest days I’ve known. He lost pounds that day! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘WAY OT – Flip flops and shorts sort of chap needs suit advice’ is closed to new replies.