Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Way of the roses, in 2 days?
  • ton

doing the way of the roses on the 4th/5th july.
    2 x 85 miles days, overnight in borobridge.

anyone done it?

Bregante

I did it last September over 3 days with a couple of lads who’d never done more than 20-30 miles on a bike with no issues whatsoever. In fact it was a doddle – even with shite weather on day one. If I was going to do it again I’d definitely do it in two days.

It’s a ride of two halves though with all of the climbing done by the time you reach Ripon.

I’d probably look to get to Pately Bridge on day one as there are plenty of decent pubs/ eateries.

My thread from last year.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/way-of-the-roses-c2c-advice

Basil

Yep
    Two days no, three days yes.
    Too many ups for two day trip for me.
    1st part rolling then a total bas***d out of Settle (have heard this is avoidable?)
    And lets not forget the Pateley Bridge and up to Brigham Rocks.
    Lovely through York & Ripon, wouldn’t be too fussed about the run into Brid other than to tick the full route off.

ton

it is over 5 years since i have ridden 2 long days back to back,
    not worried about the hills, just the distance. 😀

midlifecrashes

If I was going to do it in 2, with all the hills on the western third, I’d try to stop over at Ripon instead. The route between Ripon through to Boroughbridge is easy though, if that’s the way you go. I did it in 3, stopping at Pateley and York, but day 2 was short, and I stopped lots and carried too much. The hardest hills for me were climbing out of Settle (after a big lunch in the Old Naked Man)and hauling up the hill out of Pately after a full English.

boblo
    Free Member

That Greenhow Hill down into Pateley is to be treated with respect as well. 3 days makes for an enjoyable jaunt, 2 a bit of a slog IMO. Not much time left over for beer/chips/etc.

Basil

The hill into Pateley is the only occasion I have had brake fade. Loaded Fargo

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Did it over 3 days in march Ton, wouldnt fancy it in 2 as that means you`ll have the biggest 2 climbs all on the first day 🙁
    I stopped in Burnsall and then york
    the one out of settle and then the one from burnsall , both arent nice 🙁
    have the proper sustrans map if you want to borrow ?

ton

set in stone now.
    we will be carrying nothing but waterproofs and beer tokens.
    the hill out of settle is not too bad, it leads up to stockdale lane. done it a dozen times.
    the hill out of pateley i have only done in reverse on a audax ride.
    i dont mind suffering, and knowing the 2nd day will be easier is always a good carrot to dangle.

PMK2060

I did it in 2 days last year stopping overnight in boroughbridge. I found the first day hard going as I am not used to that much climbing but the second day was a doddle even with tired legs. I found the signage good except for the centre of York.

ton

stumpy m4, i have the map mate, cheers.
    midlifecrashes lent me a copy last year.

slackboy

Did in two days last weekend and I’m not that fit. First leg from Morecambe is hard work lots of climbing. I stayed in pateley bridge which is 62 miles in.

2md day was 110 but pretty flat and fairly easy

If you have time do it in three because you’ll have more time to enjoy the views

Oh, the path out of clapham is not good for road bikes but everything else is ok

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Did Walney Island to Whitby over 2 days last year, first day 116 miles & 2nd day 69 miles.
    To my mind its not the distance or even the hills, its the weather. Day 1 turned bad on us up on the hills, Tan hill was thick fog & horrible rain & we were soaked & shivering when we hit the pub – and we had another 35 miles to go. Day two was lovely even though we had the North York Moors to contend with.

tomaso
    Free Member

Girl at work did it in a single day…

antigee

2 days here in a car swop with mrs antigee and gossipy girls

in November so dark for last section
    overnight in Rippon at Wetherspoons – Unicorn Hotel I think – bit slow with breakfast – route finding west to east was easy but knew the bit thru York, could be tricky there

mates wife had left lights on in car in Morecambe so that cheered us up no end

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Way of the roses, in 2 days?’ is closed to new replies.