Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Waxing bike frames
  • tron
    Free Member

I've got loads (and I mean loads) of old car wax in the shed. Is it worth me lathering some on my bike frame to make the mud a little easier to wash off, or will the first dab of muc off have the whole lot rinsed off?

elaineanne
    Free Member

muc off is great ! (i wont tell you what the lbs calls that stuff.. but it rymes with muc .lol

wombat

My bike frame isn't hairy enough to require waxing….oh, hang on, have just read past the title… 🙄

foxyrider
    Free Member

why no just shine it up with frame gloss/GT85 🙂 NOthing seems to stop mud sticking IMO 🙂

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I thought from the thread title you were planning on giving your bike a Brazilian 😯

foxyrider
    Free Member

Are cars hairy then?

epicyclo

I wax my bike frames about once a year – usually when I'm replacing the chain. Makes it easy to clean them, and mud drops off easier.

4ndyB
    Free Member

I've been known to use Autoglym car wax on bike frames, it does make it easier to wash the mud off & less wet mud seems to stick to the frame in the 1st place

I use Fenwicks & the wax doesn't seem to be affected by it

I'm in no way anal about bike cleaning, I usually just clean the drivetrain after a ride, but after waxing the car one day I thought… hmm wonder if it's any good on a bike…

westkipper
    Free Member

I'd be interested in hearing peoples opinions on the fact that most car waxes/polishes have silicones in them. I've heard that this can cause the paint to lift where it can penetrate through thinner bits or chips etc.
    Not usually a problem on car bodywork as the panels are usually galvanised steel but not so great for painted aluminium.
    Certainly, the frame I had that showed especially bad bubbling and peeling is one that I was pretty enthusiastic about polishing.
    Again, I'm not claiming this is definately the cause, just wondered about other folks knowledge/experience.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I've always used a good quality car polish on my bike frames when new, it stops the dirt from sticking and make them dead easy to clean. I also use a bit of wax car shampoo when I wash the bikes as it leaves a coating that does the same job. Its not that I don't like getting my bikes dirty, its more a case of not liking working on a dirty bike.
    When I used to race In muddy conditions, I would spray my bike frame with silicone spray (used in injection moulding) and it was surprising how little mud stuck to the frame. (No trouble with paint lifting either).

fattatlasses
    Free Member

I've used various car waxes on quite a few bikes over the years. Never had any problems with the wax reacting with paint or decals, though have had one or two alu frames where the paint has bubbled and flaked – however, I think this were more likely to be caused by poor preparation prior to painting/powder coating. Definately reckon a coat of wax makes the bikes easier to clean.

yetiguy
    Free Member

gt85 – does the same job as wax

mud falls off of it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Waxing bike frames’ is closed to new replies.