Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Waxed cotton and leather
  • SaxonRider

Are all waxed products, such as jackets and rucksacks, automatically waterproofed?

I am interested in buying a canvas rucksack for my commute (and other activities), that I can also use in a professional setting, and am looking at such possibilities as the Barbour Wax Urban Backpack. The thing is, some products are explicitly described as ‘weatherproof’ and ‘waterproof’, while others say nothing, yet are described as being made with exactly the same fabric and materials.

Any ideas/experiences to relate?

SaxonRider

I think I just saw a tumbleweed blow through my lounge.

scotroutes

In general, a product will not be described as waterproof if it’s only using a waterproof fabric. It’ll also need suitably taped/welded seams etc. That might explain some of the anomalies.

TBH, If I was after waterproof, I’d not be looking at waxed/leather fabrics. The world has moved on.

CountZero

TBH, If I was after waterproof, I’d not be looking at waxed/leather fabrics. The world has moved on.

But not that much. Whizzy technical fabrics need an awful lot of looking after to maintain the proofing, the fabrics are more vulnerable to tearing by thorns, barbed wire, etc. Waxed cotton can be easily patched, and easily re-proofed, and will last for years.
    And I’ve found many technical fabrics to be just as prone to getting the wearer hot and sweaty as waxed cotton, despite the claim to be breathable.
    And who the hell cares when is a rucksack? It needs to be hard wearing, breathability is totally irrelevant.

SaxonRider

Well, I went with this canvas rucksack in the end.

Kbrembo
    Free Member
    slowoldman

Blimey, Arcteryx suddenly looks a bargain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Waxed cotton and leather’ is closed to new replies.