Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wax type chain lube
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m a fan of wax based chain lube. I use Putoline hot wax through the wet season/weather and squirt lube in the summer.

However, I find squirt washing off a bit too quickly in puddles and wet mud during that in between season.

Anyone know of anything that fills the middle ground? I’ve got a riding holiday coming up soon and squirt might not last if it’s wet, but the Putoline can’t be reapplied on holiday and may not last a full week.

jamiep
    Free Member

I have a bit of Squirt in an eye drops bottle

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve a small bottle of it, but it’s not ideal to be applying mid ride.

tjagain

putoline will last a week no problem IME

deadkenny
    Free Member

Squirt, all year round. I don’t have issues with it noticeably washing off. I’m sure it does a bit but it’s important to note that it’s not the surface which counts, it’s inside. The surface is fine looking like it’s got nothing on. I test by running fingers over the rollers and if they seem loose, needs more of the stuff. If there’s some resistance or stickiness then it’s fine.

Key also is to leave it a while after applying to dry. It will wash off otherwise. Re-apply for each ride. Don’t de-lube, let the stuff build up inside.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Fenwicks stealth is good, seems very wax like, it’s quite thick. Lasts a lot longer than squirt, doesn’t get that mucky, and is less faff than putoline.

Northwind

Putoline might last a week, depends on the conditions. But you can top it up too, I just put finish line over the top of it if it wears thin.

Squirt’s very situational- in some conditions it lasts well, in others it wears off ridiculously fast, in some it goes sticky.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Putoline for the week really depends on just how much crap it’s exposed to. I’ve had it not last a weeks holiday before.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Squirt all year round for me. When very wet n muddy then I need to reapply after a wipe down. In Adam this year I need to bung some wet finish line on 2/3rds into an all dater with biblical weather. Otherwise it’s too top

rocketman
    Free Member

Squirt becomes rather more viscous (and tenacious) when it’s been frozen and thawed

johnnystorm

I’m going back to squirt. I think I prefer having a cleaner chain, albeit maybe one with less lube, than a chain that is well oiled but had collected so much crap it wears just as badly and is a pig to clean.

I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a 500ml bottle and will just apply fresh the night before any ride.

Normal oil will be kept for the commuter that doesn’t see much love.

pdV6
    Free Member

I just whack a bit of Squirt on after a ride, all dry & ready for the next one.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I normally wipe down and apply squirt the night before so it’s had time to dry but in certain sloppy conditions, it does just turn into a soup.

I’m just wondering if there’s something like squirt that’s better in the wet but with a more travel friendly application method than putoline.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I do think fenwicks stealth ticks those boxes.

coatesy
    Free Member

Finish-Line White Lightning here, e-mail me your adress and i’ll post you some to try if you want.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another squirt user here. As above, would rather a clean drivetrain that needs a regular application than a shitty drivetrain that’s hard work to clean and wear quicker. Can’t see me going back to anything else.

sparksmcguff

Not sure this helps much, but when away with my bike I use a wax based dry car cleaner – spray all over (except disks), wipe off with micro fibre cloth (no bike washers for me). The wax builds a protective coating on the bike so mud falls off and reconditions the chain between putoline. Sure somebody will tell me I’m doing it all wrong but seems to work fine for me.

Edit – I use the turtle wax dry wash stuff

Wally

Putoline in a small deep fat fryer is a very easy thing to use.

scotroutes

I’m not a fan of Squirt. Despite following all the instructions it never seems to stay on long enough for any decent length of ride. I’ve tried it a few times and just given up on it.

For road use I still like Pedros Ice Wax. It seems to have better retention properties. Don’t apply too much though.

ON the MTBs I’ve actually been using Muc Off Wet lube all year. It seems to need very little, stays on for ages and, importantly, doesn’t leave a horrendous black residue.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Wickens and soderstrum?

Wookster

Try this it’s the mutts nutz

Rock and roll extreme

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wax type chain lube’ is closed to new replies.