Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Wax Jacket suggestions please
  • Houns

My cheapo jacket from local farm store isn’t quite up to the job any more so I’ve decide to splash some money on a quality wax jacket/coat.
    Ideally I’d like a full/calf length. Obviously Barbour I’ve looked at but have doubts over their quality now they’ve become a fashion brand. Drizabone? Ticks my boxes but can’t help feeling that only those who drive old Land Rover discoveries wear them whilst burying their victims out in the woods.
    Any other suggestions to look at?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Drizabone – and if anyone comments on the image, Landy + shovel + woods

andygreener

I have two. One of the long ‘riding’ coats but it exactly that for a short arse like me so never gets used. The 3/4 length one is much more manageable. They are very nice. There are normally lots on ebay.

PePPeR

Barbour are still good jackets, but I only ever buy mine second hand as they’re way out of my price league.

I then re wax them and they look well worn and loved rather than new and shiny.

Houns

Was just about to start browsing eBay

bikebouy
    Free Member

Send your barbour back for a rewax….

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I think Barbour are still good, or they were when they made mine a year or two ago. If you do re-wax, don’t leave on a car seat on a sunny day.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Look for the heavyweight fabrics from Barbour, they are still good – or were a couple of years back!

LeeW

You can get some decent Barbour jackets from Bicester village outlet. I got a cracking Dept B jacket for way less than half price earlier in the year.

Drac

Barbour are as good as they ever were. My new one is as well made as the 20+ year old one I have in the garage.

Dead easy to rewax yourself too.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Big fan of Fjallraven here James.

Houns

Yes some lovely kit, bit too much for dog walking though, may treat myself for Christmas however.

There’s a couple of Barbour on eBay I’ve found in my size and style I’m after, seller just down the road too so fingers crossed

BillMC

Make sure you try a Barbour on as I think they come up a bit small. I’ve also got a long and heavy one bought in a farmer’s shop in Oz in 1992, that’s great for walking through thorns or torrential rain. Maybe you need two and be done with it. Mrs MC has an original and perfect Belstaff Trailmaster*, I’d kill for one of those but the recent versions are sadly inadequate and vastly overpriced.
    * her father used to be a bank manager and he was always being given stuff or reduced. We were having a conversation about winter coats and she’d remembered hanging it up by the back door at her parents’ place 30 years ago. It was still there alongside his WW2 sheepskin pilot’s jacket, but his was in a much worse state of repair. That’s a sustainable wardrobe for you.
    Incidentally, the Barbour is useless for field sports, too hot, too inflexible. The are fashion items.

Drac

There’s a couple of Barbour on eBay I’ve found in my size and style I’m after, seller just down the road too so fingers crossed

Get yourself up North to the factory, the shop is brilliant. You can hit on at some real bargains. I’m due another visit I reckon.

Incidentally, the Barbour is useless for field sports, too hot, too inflexible.

Funny that. I managed for years with said old Barbour I mentioned.

nedrapier

The facebook hoax factory, Drac?

Drac

I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. 😉

RustyNissanPrairie

would love a Barbour but they are way too short in the arms and the xxl is then too large on the body for my skinny freak armed body.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Wax Jacket suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.