Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wattisham airfield
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Anyone live in the area? I’m hoping to stay nearby for a few days but wifey is worried we will be buzzed night and day by attack bellypoppers! I like the idea but it could wear thin after a while if its that noisey.

stu170
    Free Member

It’s a weird one, I live near marham and don’t notice it, but I worked there. And have spent years around aircraft so have learnt to zone it out. But I can imagine it will be just fine, I worked at Benson that had merlins and pumas at the time and they were quiet. Apaches don’t make much noise at all, relatively.

piesoup
    Free Member

I used to work there for about 13 years. There are attack bellypoppers but they don’t always fly at night. It’s a live airfield, there will be some traffic.
    And yes, the Apache isn’t that noisy. Most of the time they are broken, so I wouldn’t worry!

thorpie
    Free Member

I grew up in Stowmarket (6 miles away) when 56 and 74 Squadron Phantoms were there, many a half term holiday was spent at the crash gates watching them. When it was an RAF base it was noisy during the week and when exercises were on all manner of aircraft could suddenly appear out of no where and scare the wits out of you, when the Army took over the noise more or less disappeared, that said it is busier now than a few years ago but the helicopters are not really that loud, not fighter jet loud anyway! I miss the noise and excitement from back then and would love to go back in time, if only for a day, stood at Crash Gate No 2. Good times.
    Trevor.

allthegear
    Free Member

I live near marham and don’t notice it, but I worked there

You wait till F35 arrives 😆

Rachel

stu170
    Free Member

I’ll probably be dead before they get them flying regular.
    I could sleep through the U2 take offs in Cyprus no bother, so the f35 doesn’t scare me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wattisham airfield’ is closed to new replies.