Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Watesporterists – what wet-suit?
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

Stop giggling at the back

My son (17) is studying outdoor education. For the next term they’ll be focusing on watersports – kayaking, sailing, coastering etc. He needs a wet-suit.

I know nothing of them.

Needs to be suitable for cold water, available in a small size (he’s about 5’6″, chest 34/36″) and crucially not too expensive.

Where should I be looking and what should I be looking to pay?

brack
    Free Member

Typed a big reply and it lost the lot… I’ll reply again later

Hmmmmmpf

sharkey
    Free Member

What genius decided January would be good to start?
    Anyway I would say something double lined (fabric both sides, less likely to get damaged but more wind chill than single lined) glued seams either blind stitched or taped. Fit is really important so need to try on a few makes. Wetsuit warehouse near cannock or Robin hood near Huddersfield both have decent ranges. You should be able to get something for 150 quid
    Edit – you want 5mm thick in the body, usually 3 or 4 in arms

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

My only advice would be not to be tempted to go super cheap.
    When it comes to wet suits you genuinely get what you pay for and a poorly fitted suit that feels uncomfortable and cold will make all of those activities you named a misery.

Cheers

Richie (ex outdoor leisure instructor)

bikebouy
    Free Member

5/3 maybe with a hood..over neck zip not a back zip.

Or a dry-suit.

bentandbroken

Fit is really important. A good quality wetsuit that does not fit will probably be colder/less comfy than a cheaper one that fits right.

Trying on winter wetsuits is a pain. It’s hot and sweaty and you get tempted to go with one because you can’t be bothered to try any more.

Find a local supplier with a good choise and visit on a cold day.

towzer

fit, fit and fit
    as flushing (water coming in out ) will suck heat out

zip
    – normal – leaks (see flushing note above)
    – sdz – semi dry zip (stops a lot of water)
    – dry zip – (often brass – do not let any water in)usually too stiff for surfing/mobility comfort
    imho you want sdz OR zip with batflap (see below)
    I use zip/batflap
    *roughly speaking drier zip is the bigger it is and the less flexible it is(impacts comfort)

zip position – zip reduces suit flexibility a bit/causes a lump – so make sure zip is comfortable in positions he will be in (sorry), I use back vertical for surfing/ws etc.

seams
    – normal – (glued or sewn) sewing creates holes (see flushing), glue only can separate (did with me)
    – sealed – inner tape over seam holes/glue
    imho you want sealed
    *edit – blind stitched (better sewing with no actual holes all the way thru)

batflap (has other names) – thin flexible cover under zip (so stops water dripping directly onto body)
    imho – good

kneepads – handy to protect suit(ditto bum)

fit – should be tight everywhere esp at holes (neck, ankles, wrists) with no air gaps etc saggy areas etc between body and suit (*must be able to breath make sure can touch toes and do front crawl/bend , flex etc etc without feeling too restricted)

see notes about 5/3 (5mm thick on body 3/4 on arms) above – thicker is warmer but less flexible/harder to move.

rash vest – thin vest that goes under suit can get thick and thin ones- these can be used to give an extra insulation layer
    – imho good – ie maybe do 4/3 plus a mediumish thick rash vest

I prefer at hat to a hood (I use a neoprene head/ears cover with Velcro strap) as you can leave it off if you want

– wetsuit boots – v handy on rough surfaces

– wetsuit gloves – help if you get cold hands

*Coasteering is king hard on suits (barnacles and rocks), so – poss wear old tee and ron hill tracksters etc over top(I’ve seen people wearing old scabby old ripped suits as top lavers)to protect their suit and old trainers are handy. ps also wear gloves(use cheap non wetsuit tough ones) vv handy (natural instinct to grab rocks then get ripped off by waves- see barnacles)

Greybeard
    Free Member

It’s a long time since I’ve worn a wet suit, and things may have changed, but for a mix of sports I’d suggest a Long John (ie, no arms) and a separate top with arms that fits over it. You really don’t want arms on a wetsuit for kayaking, and the extra layer on the torso when wearing the top keeps the core warm and doesn’t harm flexibility. Also gives options as the weather warms.

allfankledup

Why not a dry suit ?

If you can find one comfortable for kayaking then it should cover the other sports?

jam-bo

in the true spirit of STW, i’ll recommend what I have. Patagonia hooded R3…

in reality, whats your budget?

£50 and he’ll have a cold winter in a badly fitting blindstiched wetsuit.

£100 and you’ll get something a bit better with taped and glued seams.

£150 should get you something pretty good at somewhere like wetsuit warehouse

£200 upwards is diminishing returns.

to be honest, if it were just kayaking/sailing (ie sports where you arent supposed to be IN the water) then I would have thought a drysuit was a better choice. immersion sports like coasteering/surfing maybe not.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wetsuit Outlet are good for getting last seasons colours etc half price.

I’ve got a Ripcurl e-bomb which is toasty as a toasty thing.

Get some polypropylene rash vests to go under it (and on top if doing stuff that might get it damaged), they’re much much warmer in winter than lycra rash vests.

Why not a dry suit ?

The problem with dry suits is they’re absolutely brilliant, right up until you get a tiny hole in them, at which point they fill with water.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My only advice would be not to be tempted to go super cheap.

Fit is really important. A good quality wetsuit that does not fit will probably be colder/less comfy than a cheaper one that fits right.

Find a local supplier with a good choise and visit on a cold day.

fit, fit and fit

Yes to all of the above.

in the true spirit of STW, i’ll recommend what I have. Patagonia hooded R3…

I’ve heard mixed reviews of the Patagonia suits. I love the stance they’re taking (I really, really wanted to justify buying one when I replaced my 3/2 last autumn) but read bad things about their longevity…

FWIW most decent suits come from the same factory in Thailand so use very similar materials at similar price points; the main difference will be the fit. Definitely worth trying some on. C Skins certainly used to be better fitted to the larger gentle-person, whereas my experience of the ‘big’ brands is they are all pretty slim-cut. I’m also a Medium or occasionally a Medium Tall, but my shorty is a Large Short – it’s just what fitted best.

Modern suits are also massively more flexible than ever before, but do pay for it with lifespan. Expect two years of regular use with a stretchier suit.

Edit: I should add I’m approaching this from a surf point of view. Your needs will be different for coasteering.

ferrals
    Free Member

Unless thermal, rash vest are there to stop rashes and IMO actaulyl make you colder than just the right suit. tbh I don’t even rate thermal rashies. Rather just a good 5 or 6mm suit depending on where in the UK you are?

Getting good wetsuit boots makes a massive difference but the ones designed for surfing will get trashed coasteering. When I used to surf a lot on barnacle encrsuted rocks I’d go through two pairs a winter just through rock hopping to get into the sea.

boardies over wetsuit may look naff but will stop damage to neoprene when sitting etc.

jam-bo

I’ve heard mixed reviews of the Patagonia suits. I love the stance they’re taking (I really, really wanted to justify buying one when I replaced my 3/2 last autumn) but read bad things about their longevity…

I’ve been impressed so far, but then maybe because
    a) I got it half-price
    b) my previous winter suit was a custom snugg from ~2002 that was way past its best.

and I’ve heard the warranty is pretty good so if it does fall apart they’ll sort it. I need a new summer suit next year so I’m going to keep an eye on the sales over the winter and see what comes up.

bentandbroken

I would have thought a Dry Suit would be positively dangerous for Coasteering :-/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tbh I don’t even rate thermal rashies. Rather just a good 5 or 6mm suit depending on where in the UK you are?

I sail all through the winter in a 5/3 and wear thermal socks all year round (seems to stop boots from stinking). They definitely make more of a difference than even a couple of mm of neoprene. I actually managed a days sailing when there was ice on the water in a 3/2 as the 5/3 wasn’t dry from the day before and nothing is more miserable than an already cold/wet wetsuit in the morning!

A lot of people seem to be wearing 1mm tops over long johns or full suits as well now, the principal being that a 1mm top over a 4mm suit is better than a 5mm suit as you get even less flushing because the seams don’t line up (and a 1mm top is cheaper than an entire winter suit).

matt_outandabout

For paddlesports and sailing a drysuit may be a better investment. Should be able to get one for under £200, either a good secondhand (I have drytop and trousers from Palm that were £120 worn once…) or Lomo etc in sale.

For coasteering he does need a wetsuit (doesn’t snag or rip to failure) really. I am also with thisisnotaspoon – back in the day we all wore longjohns, thermal helly, spray top and a dose of MTFU. I did 4 year outdoor education degree like this…

It may be worth getting a good longjohn, rashie/thermal layers, with drytop and adding trousers when he can afford…..

jam-bo

MENS WETSUITS

these may be worth a look. been getting some good write ups. I might get a summer suit from them next year.

johnx2
    Free Member

dry suits cost a lot more than wetties, at any given quality point. And you can’t have a wee in them. (Well I guess you can…) Assuming this is south coast or SW, something like this would probably do: https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2017-typhoon-storm-5mm-gbs-wetsuit-graphite-black-blue-logo-250662-p-18474.html

plus boots, hat and gloves which will add another £50-£60 at least.

(I surf the NE so get the warmest I can find: a long line of xcel hooded 5 & 6 mils, getting through last winter in a finisterre which is a mission to get on and nigh impossible to take off. Anyway, you don’t want to be spending that kind of money.)

scotroutes

If you’re buying from Lomo, make sure you get this one..

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/skin-coloured-wetsuit-flesh.html

matt_outandabout

flashinthepan – member
    My son (17) is studying outdoor education

Where/what course?

CraigW
    Free Member

Lomo wetsuits are quite reasonably priced, and pretty tough. They have some that are extra reinforced, designed for outdoor centres etc. Maybe worth it for coasteering.

jam-bo

nah, get this one. you’ll look like a right tit.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Wow, what a lot of replies – thank you all. I shall take a look at all the suggestions above.

And I get the message – fit, fit, fit!

Budget – not fixed. As little/much as it needs to be to do a proper job.

Dry suit has been dismissed as too pricey and more to the point – likely to get damaged and be rendered useless by a teenager

@Scotroutes – yep, got shown one of those at the open day 😯

@matt outandabout – BCA, Burchets Green, Berks.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Head over to the Michael fallon thread.. It may be covered..

mikertroid
    Free Member

5:3 for winter duties. Surfing/Windsurfing and this winter Kitesurfing.

Tiki have been my go to suits for 30 years now. Superb suits. Have a couple for summer use.
    That said for winter I’m using a mid range O’Neil (£190?) for the last three years with success.

Dry might be better for sports where immersion is less likely…..

Oh and Fit is important.

Extremities are often scrimped and that’s where you can lose loads of heat. Decent boots and gloves/mits and hood help too.

batfink
    Free Member

these may be worth a look. been getting some good write ups. I might get a summer suit from them next year.

Yeah – I’ve got the 3/2 backzip, been using it throughout the Aussie “winter”. It’s good, particularly for the money. The only downside is that it doesn’t have windproof panels – so if there is a strong wind you can feel a bit of a chill

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohh, and get a thin hood, ive a 1mm titanium lined one and its amazing how much difference it makes, I usually pull it up after a dunking to get my body temp back to normal. Turns a situation which would leave you shivering and potentially hypothermic arround very quickly.

maxtorque

Keep an eye on ebay, especially as winter starts! (lots of people give up w/sports this time of year….) A good quality, but slightly older wetsuit is likely to be warmer and more durable than a cheapy new one!

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Thanks again all

I’m currently looking at this one from Lomo

Lomo Hurrican 2CX

5mm, and with a more durable backside and arms which presumably will be good for coasteering?

He’s bang in the middle of their sizing guide for a ‘S’ too

Seems a reasonable price especially considering he’ll grow out of it very quickly and likely (being a teenager) either lose or wreck it!!

He’s doing his first watersport session tomorrow (using one of the college’s suits). I’ll see how he gets on and will take it from there. Comments on boots/mitts/hoods duly noted

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Watesporterists – what wet-suit?’ is closed to new replies.