Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Watery stuff on outside of tubeless setup – what is it?
  • verbboy
    Free Member

left a bike just hanging around over the winter and just getting it ready to use again and noticed both tyres were a bit soft, but not flat (hardly suprising I know).

I did notice a watery substance on some bits of the tyres so decided best to clean out the old stans and replace it. All pumped up OK but one tyres lost 10 psi quite quickly, and I still see some water stuff leaking out.

Any ideas??

I use the same stans bottle in my other tyres and no issues with them.

All Maxxis tyres

snaps
    Free Member

Not sure but I think it maybe the residue of broken down sealant, I take the tyre off & soak it in water overnight to clean said residue then refit & refil with Stans sealant & all is well (Maxxis LUST tyres)

mintimperial

I think it’s a glycol of some sort. Basically anti-freeze, anti-coagulant stuff to stop the fluid drying out too fast. Seems to come out of lots of different brands of tyres, Contis are bad for it too. I’ve not noticed that it causes any major problems in any way, safe to ignore. Wipe it off if it’s bothering you.

xyeti
    Free Member

I had this last year, first ride after noticing it the tyre blew clean off the rim! With an almighty bang, so be careful

mintimperial

xyeti I’m sure that was just a coincidence. I’ve noticed it on numerous tyres over the years and nothing bad has happened that I could connect to it at all.

xyeti
    Free Member

I know what you mean, just seems weird that after being tubeless for so long and then just noticing this I couldn’t help but make a connection. The tyre HR2 wouldn’t seat on the rim after so had to get the rim swapped over, prob is a coincidence OR……….. The only other thing I could think of was wiping the rim with a rag which I think was a bit oily, might not have seated with lube creating a bit of seepage and ahem, blame the tyre the sealant but snow me.

verbboy
    Free Member

Its very strange, did both front and rear tyres (HR on front and Ardent on Rear) HR has pumped up and is fine, Ardent wont hold pressure for very long. lost 15 psi in 3 hours. I’ll try a ride on it tomorrow and see if that helps seal it all.

Failing that I’ll clean it off and start again as you suggest snaps.

xyeti
    Free Member

What sealant is it?

verbboy
    Free Member

What sealant is it?

Stans – been working fine in other tubeless setups I have.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Watery stuff on outside of tubeless setup – what is it?’ is closed to new replies.