Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Waterproofs – tech question
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

Do waterproofs degrade over time in normal storage?

Obviously dirt, wear and washing degrade waterproof material, but say you’re offered a great deal on a jacket, does it make sense to buy two and store one until the other is last-legs?

Anybody know? Ta.

speed12
    Free Member

I wouldn’t think they do. If it’s a gore-tex type jacket (or eVent or whatever…) the waterproof/breathable bit is a PTFE membrane which would be pretty stable if sat indoors in a cupboard or something. Generally when a jacket wears out it is due to the membrane actually being worn through rather than it just disintegrating so if you aren’t using it you should be good to go when you finally do. The only thing you’d perhaps have to do is ‘top-up’ the DWR coating on the surface material, but that is pretty easy to do with some Nik Wax or Grangers spray/wash.

molgrips
    Free Member

If they are kept in a wardrobe or on a clothes rail, the DWR can rub off I’m told, or in transit folded up and stuff. Which is why they might need re-proofing or at least tumble drying as soon as you buy it.

The fabric itself doesn’t degrade though.

Seems a bit odd though – a jacket should last many many years, and you should be able to get a decent bargain at some point as your current one gets older. There will be better jackets and fabrics around for the same price by the time any jacket you buy now is worn out.

wordnumb
    Free Member

That’s pretty much what I’ve assumed about membrane fabrics, top up the dwr and they’re fine.

Seems a bit odd though

Maybe, but say you find a jacket that fits and works really well and don’t want to risk not finding something similar… or if you have a gear buying habit that is borderline problematic. Having no intention to race or try to prove myself by way of superhuman feats I don’t know that I’d need anything better than the kit I currently use.

ericemel
    Free Member

Don’t think so – I have a 8r old jacket albeit a decent one and it still works a treat

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know that I’d need anything better than the kit I currently use.

You don’t need it, but something will always be more breathable, lighter, more durable, fit better etc, you don’t have to be a racer to appreciate comfort.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Waterproofs – tech question’ is closed to new replies.