Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Waterproof'ish hold-all bag with shoulder straps, 100 litre'ish
  • womp
    Free Member

Waterproof’ish hold-all bag with shoulder straps, 100 litre’ish

I’m after a hold all that has shoulder straps for short cycle trips and provides some water resistance, I have a limit of 15kg so the lighter the better

I can find hold all but it’s the shoulder strap bit I’m struggling with

Any help would be much appreciated

oli31
    Free Member

Palm river trek 100 good portage bag with roll top closure. Not sure about riding with it though!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Are you sure you want a 100 litre bag for your back when cycling? That’s massive even for short trips.

Anyway Waterproof 90 litre duffle

110 litre bag

Cougar

Why do you need to carry 100 litres of water?

wwpaddler
    Free Member

North Face Base Camp Duffle bag. Cheaper imitations are available.

Wouldn’t want to cycle with 100L on my back though

sharkbait
    Free Member

100L is huge. I have a 30L Lomo dry rucksack and frankly it’s brilliant. I can fit all I need in it for a weeks summer sailing. Small enough to be hand luggage and just £26!

I do also have a 100L NF Base Camp which is really good but I’d never dream of biking with it.

russianbob
    Free Member

North face Duffle, Patagonia Duffle, Marmot Duffle.

womp
    Free Member

Thanks gobuchul that 90l bag looks just the job

I have a 15kg weight limit so it will be fine on my back as I only have 20miles of cycling on two days of the trip, the reason I need a big bag is that I’ll have a roll mat and sleeping bag that will take up a fair chunk of space

aroyalnit
    Free Member

I got an 80L bag from here a while back:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NOOKIE-BEACH-BAG-Rucksack-Strap-Back-Pack-Sack-100L-80L-50L-Splashproof-/331205112397

I mostly use it for storing kayaking kit (wet and dry!), but have used it on a bike while travelling a couple of times.

Full up, short journeys were possible – but in no way fun. They only have the 50L version at the moment, but it’s great for a tenner.

beamers

Compress the sleeping bag and strap the roll mat to the outside of a smaller bag. Keep the roll mat dry by putting it in its own dry bag.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

15kg on your back is a lot without a belt to get the weight onto your hips. What are you taking /doing to get to that weight?

gobuchul
    Free Member

the reason I need a big bag is that I’ll have a roll mat and sleeping bag that will take up a fair chunk of space

As said above, those bags are going to be terrible to cycle with. Especially with 15kg in them.

Get a proper 40 litre rucksack and strap stuff on the outside. Redue the weight as well. What are you carrying to get to 15kg?

womp
    Free Member

It’s a LEJOG trip, the start and finish requires a 20mile cycle either end to get to and from my pick up points. The bag will be transported the rest if the days but may be left outside hence the need for some water restistance (although I’ll still use dry bags inside for clothes). I’ll be carring sleeping bag, roll mat, spare cycling clothes, casual clothes, toiletries, charges, torch etc

womp
    Free Member

This

Nelly Hanson 90l £43

Or

Patagonia 90l £72.66

wwpaddler
    Free Member

You’ll only need 40-50L tops. Using a proper rucksack will be far more pleasant for a 20mile cycle and should be waterproof enough if you’ve got stuff in drybags as well. Have a look at Deuter, Osprey, Lowe Alpine and Berghaus.

womp
    Free Member

I’ll take a trip to go outdoors this weekend and eye them up for size, but my sleeping bag is pretty big and I can’t fit it in my 40l osprey (that’s without a roll mat) hence why I’m thinking I’ll need 100l ish, sounds like I could be wrong though

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Get your sleeping bag in one of these

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products/storage-bags/compression-sacks/?ref=outdoor

or

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products/storage-bags/ultrasil-compression-sacks/?ref=outdoor

or buy a new sleeping bag. No way a sleeping bag should fill 40 litres.

womp
    Free Member

Mine does have a compression bag but the straps do slip so maybe a new sack would help or as you say a new sleeping bag the one I have is a season 4 from Argos it was £40

Any recomendations on good value and small sleeping bags ?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Have a look at Alpkit for sleeping bags. If they’re too expensive then have a look at Snugpak

Cougar

Are you compelled to use a roll mat particularly? My sleeping mat rolled up is about the size of a tin of beans.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

sleeping bags – Alpkit, Snugpak, Mammut/Ajungilak, Mountain Equipment, Mountain Hardware, Rab, North Face, Vango.

Are you sleeping inside or camping?

womp
    Free Member

Im sleeping in a tent in September (UK) I do get cold hence the 4 season

My friend has offered my this for £30, not sure if it’s any good?

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/camping/sleeping-bags/3-4-season-sleeping-bags/microlite-1400-sleeping-bag-p11498.aspx?cl=Orange

I will google the recomendations once gone kids are asleep,

Cheers for putting up with my dumb questions

wwpaddler
    Free Member

There’s 3 main properties of a sleeping bag that people want – low temperature, low weight / small size and low price. You can have 2 so you need to decide what your priorities are. At the cheaper end of the market manufacturers tend to exaggerate the temperature. Stick to the recommendations and their temps should be more realistic.

Only way to find out if your mates bag is suitable is to try it out. Sleep in the garden with it and see if it squashes down enough.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof'ish hold-all bag with shoulder straps, 100 litre'ish’ is closed to new replies.