Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Waterproofing Magicshine Batteries
  • stayhigh

I'm getting a Magicshine light from DX and am mindful of reports of the batteries being somewhat on the porus side. What would be the best way to waterproof them, I had thought of self amalgamating tape. Is there a better battery bag available?

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

I have also just purchased a Magicshine light from DX and had read the same warnings. I was thinking about putting the battery in one of these not sure if this is a good plan though.

brassneck

The one with it isn't too bad – I think a ziploc sandwich type bag would be sufficient inside that to splashproof it enough

My battery failed on the PCM, not the cells themselves, so it's a question of how far you want to take it – I was considering a great big bit of heatshrink over the lot too.

Edited for spelling

uplink
    Free Member

I've covered mine with self-amalgamating tape

MrGreedy

I just used a thick sandwich bag round the battery itself, wrapped tightly in gaffer tape then placed inside the original case. This has held up fine over the last year.

stayhigh

hadnt thought of sandwich bags, the little dry sacks look good too. Whats a PCM?

oopnorth
    Free Member

MrGreedy +1, Never had a problem.

bigbob38
    Free Member

Put mine in a balloon with a cable tie on the 'open' end – even went for a little swim one drunken night by mistake with no ill effects 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

That self amalgamating tape is good stuff. I bought a 10m roll off eBay for 3-4 quid and it can also be used to make a decent chainstay protector 8)

brassneck

PCM = can't remember what it stands for but it's the little circuit board that controls charge and discharge of the LION cells.

Found an identical one to fix my battery and it's on its way on a slow boat from China despite paying a shipping premium ^^

Grimy
    Free Member

I used PLastiDip after seeing the results on another forum and got fantastic results. My batteries are now completely air tight! Its fairly expensive at around £13 delivered, but you can do a fair few packs with one tin and so I did my mates cells too. Its reasuring to know they are totaly waterproof so worth the small outlay I recon you'd agree. Looks a little more profeshonal than bits of clingfilm and tape too 8)

Link to forum discussion click here

z1ppy

Brassneck, you got a link, as I assume that's what's wrong with my battery.

stuey
    Free Member

Newer version has cased batteries – with LCD Volt meter.

– Some rechargeable batteries vent gases – very occasionally – PlastiDip may prevent this?

stayhigh

Whats the benefit of the volt meter? Is this new version better specced then this as my knowledge of these things is somewhat limited 😳

Grimy
    Free Member

I wouldnt worry about it Stuey, from what I understand, and I'm willing to be corrected, Lithium Ion cells have a much safer chemistry than primary lithium cells that could vent and explode if there was a short or something. Even so, the Li-Ion cells have a pressure release valve, (rather than a vent) so if the absolute worst should happen, the pressure cannot build up within the metal body of the battery to dangerous levels and then suddenly explode. Having a thin rubber membrain such as plastidip is not going to hold anywhere near enough pressure to become a problem.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Waterproofing Magicshine Batteries’ is closed to new replies.