Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Waterproofing…
  • butcher

Just something I was thinking about today.

Waterproofing products are really expensive. I’m talking about NikWax and the like. And when I had a look round to see what else was available, there doesn’t seem to be any cheap alternatives. And I’m thinking, all you need is some kind of wax, without getting messy. Then it struck me…

Can you not just give your clothes a soaking in Turtle Wax? Even apply with a cloth? Buff it off.

Let’s say for the sake of the argument breathability is not important.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I’m gonna try it.

wwaswas

If breathability isn’t an issue then wear a bin liner.

butcher

If breathability isn’t an issue then wear a bin liner.

Wouldn’t look very good, would it.

Let’s say breathability isn’t an issue, but vanity is.

I find it a shame that no one does proper waterproof jackets made out of cheap materials with good cut and fit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicyclo

Many years ago when I was a student I used tyre paint to waterproof an old paratrooper’s smock.

Worked really well.

Stank like hell too, but I didn’t care about that because I stayed dry on my motorbike. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a reason breathability is so ubiquitous.

Anyway:

It’s called a wax jacket 🙂

medoramas
    Free Member

It’s not really that expensive for something that really works. I paid £11 for Tech Wash and Softshell Proof combo (300ml each) two weeks ago. Two jackets and a pair of shorts sorted with only 100ml of each product – and it works perfectly!

The shorts are not proper waterproof ones (you remember those ultra-green Scott ones from a PSA last winter?), they had however some DWR coating when new. This obviously worn out. After the treatment they are still super light and very breathable, but during the last two days of heavy showers they kept my liner shorts nice and dry! 8)

sazter

Yep I agree with above, it’s not actually expensive if you have a few things that need proofing or club together with mates if you only have one or two things, I bought the big bottles of wash and proofer, spent £28 I think, but re-proofed my over trousers, 2 shorts, gilet and 4 jackets and it stopped me looking at £150+ jackets. Bargain! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a different treatment for adding water resistance to non-membrane non waterproof stuff, they call it ‘softshell treatment’. No idea what the practical difference is mind.

BadlyWiredDog

I find it a shame that no one does proper waterproof jackets made out of cheap materials with good cut and fit.

I always thought Dare2Be weren’t far off that sort of niche, though I guess it depends on what you mean by ‘cheap’ and ‘good cut and fit’.

epicyclo

When you consider that most of the water that drenches you on a bike comes from spray from the wheels, then maybe mudguards should be the first response. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Waterproofing…’ is closed to new replies.