Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Waterproof Winter Cycling Gear – Advice Please
  • John25
    Free Member

Hi

I am out on the bike 4 or 5 times a week in Northern Ireland, a lot of the time this involves getting soaked and covered in mud. This I don't mind, but I am finding it hard to get good clothing for wet weather/winter mountain biking.

I would like to find shoes, socks, trousers, jacket, gloves and hat (for under helmet) that allow good movement on the bike, breathable, are completely waterproof and that can be thrown in the washing machine after a ride, then dry out quickly. I ride flat pedals and doubt that waterproof shoe/ankle covers are available, are they?

If you could link me to any gear that you have had good experience with, that would be great

Thank You

ojom
    Free Member

Gore is good.

cinnamon_girl

Another recommendation for Gore. Paclite is good but can tear if you have an off, then means it is not waterproof! I personally swear by Windstopper, it's water resistant but seams are not taped so no good for a heavy deluge.

As regards trousers, I use the Gore Alp X waterproof shorts and have been impressed by them. They are made of Paclite but again can tear. Don't know you're wearing them which is good.

Gloves can be difficult – again I use Windstopper but if it's heavy rain then not good enough. Sealskinz are good.

Buff under a helmet and you can now get a Windstopper version.

deus

porelle drysocks, not the really thick ones, the thin ones feel just like socks, and if you have a thin pair of socks on underneath they last longer (should cut toenails more often…….)

cinnamon_girl

Check out the tgstore as they have a sale, they are Gore stockists.

I use Seakskinz socks and normal shoes. What size shoe do you take as I will be selling some Northwave Goretex shoes in a 41/42, I think.

jimjam
    Free Member

I'd say forget the hat mate, your head will boil in all but the coldest weather – I can barely wear a buff under my helmet even in the depths of winter.

Sealskinz socks are excellent and well worth the money, they'll keep your tootsies bone dry. 5 10s or Shimano am40s are probably your best option for flat shoes.

Pieface

If you're riding flats maybe hiking boots / shoes would do the trick?

FWIW staying warm rather than dry is more imporant.

I'd be inclined to go for windstopper style stuff rather than fully waterproof – you may get wet, but you'll get wet through condensation from fully waterproof stuff, brethable or not.

I think that with cycling you generate so much heat that staying dry is not possible – you'll get wet through sweat or rain whichever layering you go for. In the depths of winter I take a spare base layer and change when I'm wet.

I strugglell with gloves – they get wet or sweat gets them wet. I'll try windstopper ratehr than wterproof.

FWIW, IMHO, windstopper is better than waterproof – more breathable so less likely to get soaked through sweat, but will keep you warm once wet. Base layers with a shell style outer (of windstopper) and then either a mid layer as well under the shell, or a softshell when its cold.

AlasdairMc

Icebreaker merino skull cap for the winter for me, and seal skins socks.

I have a Rab softshell for all but the wettest days, it's Polartec Stretch and is good down to about minus 5 when moving.

I use Altura Attack 3/4s with some Ron Hill tracksters if it's dry, I currently don't have a long legged combo for wet weather though, but it seems to either be very cold or very wet up here

jimjam
    Free Member

Pieface – Member

If you're riding flats maybe hiking boots / shoes would do the trick?

Feels horrible. 5 10s are pretty water resistant.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Forget overshoes or waterproof socks and go for a winter MTB boot. I've used Shimano MTB winter boots for off and on road winter riding for the last 8 years or so. I use them with SPDs but you don't have to. Make sure you have enough wiggle room for a pair of thick socks and there's nothing better for keeping your tootsies warm and dry in winter.

Nobby

Top half eVent or paclite. I've had the Endura Stealth longs for a couple of years now & think they're the nuts. Warm, waterproof & reasonably breathable too. Worn over any sealskin socks & your feet stay dry too.

montylikesbeer

3thd sealskinz

Also a pragmatic…………………you will get wet

That aside:

gortex jacket:coat

decent base layer: base layer

Shirt: shirt thingy

Pants:pants

and a buff, good gloves, t1t fa, and a big smile

fraseruk
    Free Member

I have a couple of jackets from Montane that I like – mainly because of the fit – they have long sleeves that fit my freakishly long arms and made with event so pretty breathable.

For trousers I use a pair of windstopper shell trousers from Gore – showerproof but that's normally enough when they stop the wind.

I also like the Icebreaker skull cap and I run spds so gimpy looking neoprene overshoes complete the look.

Col

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got an endura skull cap thats goretex wind stopper. Endura waterproof and endura 3/4 waterproof shorts (i feel a pattern lol) shimano gortex boots and 661 gortex gloves keeps me pretty dry and sweat free ish 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof Winter Cycling Gear – Advice Please’ is closed to new replies.